Will you let Amazon unlock your front door for deliveries?

No option for me based on where we live. Also, I rarely order from Amazon. If I need the occasional item, I find it locally or have it delivered (and held) at USPS. Not quite a Luddite, but pretty close to it.

I used to deliver for my DW's (actually family's) business at holiday time. You would be surprised how many people did not lock their doors when they left (for work or whatever.) If possible, I would open the door and stick the delivery inside when people were not home. Only had one dog escape (and I coaxed her back in.) One time, I was taking something to a rear door and found that the resident's dog had hanged himself by vaulting a fence while tied up. I decided to return the delivery to home base and wait until the next day after the dust had settled.

Fortunately, never walked in on anyone or had any complaints. I wouldn't do it today with all the alarms folks have. YMMV

I prefer not to deal with amazon, the very rare occasion I might, they can leave the stuff outside. As for them unlocking the door, hell no.

Funny, I just used to leave my front door unlocked. Packages would be delivered inside the front door. No need for all this fancy lock stuff!

A few weeks after we moved into our current address we received a priority mail package. The carrier just opened the front door and set it inside. At the time we had a dog, and even from another room she attacked and almost bit him. There was no mistaking her threatening demeanor. She was a small dog but believed and behaved as if she were the last line of defense. He ran down the walkway back to his truck, and she barked furiously every time he cam by after that.

Package theft can be a problem, but so can opening doors and entering homes where one does not reside.

Our neighborhood has had a rash of stolen amazon packages. Nextdoor.com is full of reports, pics of the perps, etc. The habit is for the thieves to follow the amazon truck... and get the package soon after it is delivered...

Even with that - I wouldn't sign up with this product. Our porch has hedges in front... so packages aren't visible from the street... And our dog would not be so happy.

My city has the package thefts also. I know that since I have seen dozens of videos on Facebook showing the perps getting out of their car, taking the package and driving off with it. Some even capture the license number of the get-away car. :D Hey, anything to make the job of our hard working police force easier.

We captured a video of a UPS truck stopping in front of our home and a package being scanned as delivered, where the driver saw the sender was a pharmacy. He never left the truck to deliver the package to us. We called UPS immediately and they just told us the package had just been delivered. When I explained we had video of the driver never leaving the truck and the package was medications, they got the driver turned around and back to our house in twenty minutes. I’ve never seen that driver since.

I've never had a problem and my front door has enough overhang to keep packages out of the weather. As has been said, if it was a problem or the item was of high enough value, I would have it held at the carrier and pick it up. I'm in a city that has main depots and their stores within a couple miles.

I put a deck box outside my door on my driveway. UPS and everyone else generally uses it. It works great to keep stuff out of sight and out of the weather.

I don't know why the delivery companies don't provide a box to put their stuff in, like the old milk delivery boxes.

I can see an Amazon driver getting shot by a forgetful or drunk home owner or some other family member unaware of a package delivery.

And then, as others have said, the number of cats and dog that escape the house, or the critters that run in, like wild cats.

and then the people that will hack the amazon database, or just follow the delivery truck and push past the driver and break in (mostly ex spouses I imagine)

We have a box to put delivery items in . They never use it .

I'm expecting that a company provided box would be more utilized?

we had an large empty flower pot by the door for a while and some of the items were put in there, or behind it out of view. But some were left out and about, like the letter size package left on the doormat on a really windy day!

And I'm sure they'll store those codes and it's algorithm securely, maybe on the Equifax servers. I'd give that about a week.

Haha, nothing is 100% and not to get too deep into the weeds here the codes will be calculated each time based on the algorithm. Even if the algorithm is hacked it's still better than the way things are now which is packages thrown at your door step in plain sight. I personally wouldn't allow Amazon to have access to my house.

A container to me is a great convenient option.

I'm not opposed to this. Just don't have a need. One of us is usually here during the day and of course we don't schedule deliveries when we're traveling. We also have an aggressive dog and security system, which would be problematic.

Also, we've never had a package stolen. I thought we did once, but it was left at our neighbor by mistake. Our front porch is covered and about 150 feet from the street with lots of trees and shrubs so it's near-impossible to see a package sitting by the door.

Finally, we rarely if ever have anything delivered of great value. But if we did, and it was stolen, I'm sure Amazon would send a replacement. I think this is just a clever way to sell cameras and door locks.

I’m sure my dog dusty would love a nice amazon delivery man. maybe she’d eventually let go of him.

I'm usually an early adopter of technology, but this one is too radical for me. I think Amazon is going to regret going down this path and we will likely see the product eliminated without notice in short time.

No. I don't even have or trust a street side mail box. Years ago I put a mail slot in my front door so all mail goes inside. Mail doesn't get stolen and it works great when we are out of town. If I were to regularly mail order to be delivered at home I would provide a sufficiently large locked box that would be anchored to concrete.

As you can tell I am a trusting person.

Cheers!

The only issue is that some places won't ship to a place that is not the billing address.

As previously stated, I do a LOT of online ordering. There have been one or two places that won't deliver if it's not the billing address, but they're usually small hi-tech companies (things like high end gaming computers) that have a ton of fraud to deal with.

Most other companies just ask you to contact the credit card company and add the address to the list of authorized delivery addresses. I've done this a half dozen times, and it's no big deal.

We have a box to put delivery items in . They never use it .

We have a big plastic container we put on the porch when we're going to be out of town for a few days. We make sure to put a big note on the lid telling them to put packages in it. They've been pretty good about it so far. Before we did the note, they didn't put anything in it.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/25...livery-unlock-door-prime-cloud-cam-smart-lock
What if they don't shut a sticky door well, and it blows open leaving your home unsecured for burglars, animals, and weather? I'm sure Amazon would take responsibility but it could be a major nuisance to deal with the damage, not to mention the safety aspect.

I had quite the opposite take on this.

I would think that Amazon would write a very tight terms of service contract that would shift all responsibility to the end user, which would be accepted via click through licensing when the end user initially deploys the system.

-gauss

Let's see: We are.....

Living north of Houston (high crime city),

Living in a desirable neighborhood,

Our USPS carriers can't routinely put the correct mail in boxes (very frequently),

History of missing packages,

History of missing pahama company packages (prescriptions),

Having unidentified people at all hours showing up in a white truck and having access to the inside of our front door??

NOT!!

Well, if Amazon reads this thread, I don't think they'll be going forward with this idea.

I welcome the idea. I've never had a package stolen, but if there's a proven delivery inside my home, there's no argument.

Plus, I have an extra door I lock for further security when there'd be no Amazon delivery.

Also have cameras inside and outside the house. Plus dogs.

Not that I'm paranoid or anything.

Amazon driver wouldn’t even have to steal anything, for anyone wanting to case houses you get an Amazon driver who tells you address of who has the most resalable TV in their living room, package delivered safe and sound with a smile a month later your place is torn apart in the middle of the night with no foreseeable connection. What will they have over a course of a few years 500,000 individuals with access to houses?

Amazon driver wouldn’t even have to steal anything, for anyone wanting to case houses you get an Amazon driver who tells you address of who has the most resalable TV in their living room, package delivered safe and sound with a smile a month later your place is torn apart in the middle of the night with no foreseeable connection. What will they have over a course of a few years 500,000 individuals with access to houses?

This.

Back
Top Bottom