Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
As kids we used to mix lye, water and aluminum foil in a soda bottle, then put a balloon over the top. The hydrogen and hot air would fill the balloon, which we'd then tie off and release......with a fuse attached. When it got way up there - FLASH BLAM!
I wish I'd have known about that when I was that age. Of course, after a couple of glasses of wine I'm not above doing it now....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I wish I'd have known about that when I was that age. Of course, after a couple of glasses of wine I'm not above doing it now....
Hint, pre-inflate the balloon to stretch it so it fills out larger.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #63
Administrator

The really good thing about having a father only 18 years older than me is that I got to do all sorts of incredibly dangerous things. Like my oh so mature 23 year old dad letting me shoot firearms when I was 5, light off firecrackers and ride on the motorcycle. I'm amazed my mother survived it all.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some day Ill write a book about a kid... I say kid because DW and I had three angels and one divil... Chris was the divil, and enough stories, (like driving through a house back in '79) to provide 36 episodes in a TV series.
Here's one...
He was Sophomore in a modern High School in '76. A Sophomore Class Dance, in the County H.S, with about 1600 students. Chris wasn't much on dating then.. he was into cars, and mechanics, and... skipping school... (got off the school bus and didn't go to class... days at a time).

I was self important... a figure in the community, Store Manager, Scoutmaster, Jr. Chamber of Commerce and stuff like that. (by way of background)

So, let me set the scene... the dance was in the huge gymnasium, and the large ante room was a block of glass walled offices... Principal, and assorted school officials.

8:00 PM the night of the dance... DW and I watching TV... Telephone call...
Mr. Rogers, the Sophomore Class Advisor... "Could you come down to the school?"... No reason, but we could guess.

That afternoon, DS, and his buddy did some... a lot... of beer drinking, then had a huge spaghetti dinner at friend's house. Then... yeah... then... Chris went to the dance...

No kidding... Ya had to be there... DW and I drive to the school and go into the Gym area. Big crowd of kids in suits and gowns standing around the glass walled principal's office. Staring and giggling. There in front of the principals desk, ... the Principal, Mr. Rogers, and another teacher standing together, holding a horizontal Chris who is on his stomach, with his head over a waste paper basket... giving up the last of the spaghetti dinner.

Not the worst of the stories, but for us, likely the most memorable. Another time, will recall the house drive through... 72 Oldsmobile. .. Neighborhood split level.

For all of that, we miss him a lot, as he died unexpectedly in 1995... He packed a lot of adventure, fun, and love into that too short life.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

This has been a great thread. Riding in the car with one of my sons, I related the rayinpenn story of his son "resting" in his car and gave the adult perspective that he was not doing what he was hired to do and from an adult or employer perspective, could be fired for such actions. Used it as a opportunity to give my son a different perspective.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

The straw that broke the camels back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
. He packed a lot of adventure, fun, and love into that too short life.
Sounds like a great kid...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
Old 07-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
As kids we used to mix lye, water and aluminum foil in a soda bottle, then put a balloon over the top. The hydrogen and hot air would fill the balloon, which we'd then tie off and release......with a fuse attached. When it got way up there - FLASH BLAM!

Thankfully, no one died and several of us became engineers, another a pharmacist.
I recalled doing something similar, except using sulfuric acid from a car battery and a piece of zinc pried off a D cell battery.

The hydrogen that was generated seeped right through the balloon that I put on top of the test tube. So, the balloon never really inflated and stayed limp.

I decided to light it anyway. Poof! Then a small Pop! Not much of a flame, nor an explosion, but the little flame was hot enough to burn my fingertips. I was hurting for a few days, and remember that incidence till now. I was about 11.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
My son's first job was at the local military base. One day he could not find his access badge. So he looked for it for about 2 hrs I took him to the base to look for it. Not there. Then over to the personnel office, security office, etc. After about 4 hrs of this stuff I uncorked on him and told him that had he worked for me I would have fired his ass and if he had been an airman I would have given him an article 15. He got the message real quick! a year later he still talks about that moment in his life. They do get it!

Firing someone over a misplaced access badge? How about deactivating it and issuing another? Way cheaper than training someone new. Are we all supposed to be perfect at everything 100% of the time? Sheesh. The world is unforgiving enough without throwing unforgiving parents in the mix. I hope your wife and kids forgive your minor mistakes, as you should theirs.

People make mistakes. Resting from the heat while collecting shopping carts is hardly a mistake; there is potential that you misinterpreted his actions. It is not nearly as important as making a mistake during surgery or making a decimal point error in a medication, or driving the wrong way on a freeway off ramp (DH did that due to poor signage in Boston while we were on vacation). Why are so many unforgiving of others?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Firing someone over a misplaced access badge? How about deactivating it and issuing another? Way cheaper than training someone new. Are we all supposed to be perfect at everything 100% of the time? Sheesh. The world is unforgiving enough without throwing unforgiving parents in the mix. I hope your wife and kids forgive your minor mistakes, as you should theirs.

People make mistakes. Resting from the heat while collecting shopping carts is hardly a mistake; there is potential that you misinterpreted his actions. It is not nearly as important as making a mistake during surgery or making a decimal point error in a medication, or driving the wrong way on a freeway off ramp (DH did that due to poor signage in Boston while we were on vacation). Why are so many unforgiving of others?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I am in the middle of you EastWest and JDarnell. I wouldnt fire. I believe in ass chewing and "coaching them up". If that dont work, then the hook. I am probably a bad person EW, but if I had you as a boss, I would have given about 75% effort on the job as a teenager. If I had JDarnell as my manager I would have given all I had as I know I wouldnt want to get fired....I would have liked you more as an employee, but I would have got more work done for JD!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk