"The stupidity of buy American"

Not talking about protectionism, but if the additional 6% ($400m/$6.3B) was spent in the US, there might have been some multiplier effect. No diss to the Chinese, but I'd rather my neighbor have a job...

I don't think we take into account the swelling unemployment rolls, need for "public" assistance, loss of vitality in neighborhoods, etc. caused by this race to the bottom.

You forget that the $400 million we as taxpayers saved on the construction of that bridge is $400 million more that we, as taxpayers, have to spend on either more bridge/road/infrastructure projects that we desperately need. Or if the savings are passed to taxpayers in the form of lower tolls/fuel taxes/other taxes, then that means $400,000,000 more we, as consumers, can spend on goods, services, real estate, and capital investments. Said spending would undoubtedly have multiplier effects correct? I'd rather have a less expensive bridge AND more goods/services/capital investments AND my neighbor have a job.

I don't really care if the already highly paid unionist boss has a job though. Nor do I care if the chinese have jobs. I just want a cheaper bridge that meets specs delivered 18 months quicker and to have $400,000,000 more for American consumers to spend as they see fit.

I can't believe all this argument about a bridge that takes people to Oakland. Who wants to go to Oakland?

I can't believe all this argument about a bridge that takes people to Oakland. Who wants to go to Oakland?

Looks like about 270,000 vehicles per day. And they pay for the privilege. These are hard working tax paying Americans we are helping get to work.

That is where I go to buy my Chinese drywall.

That is where I go to buy my Chinese drywall.

Excellent choice.....and, it even paints itself..:clap:

img_1128926_0_f8432332ab30de0281311b58b1dbe4e2.jpg

Not talking about protectionism, but if the additional 6% ($400m/$6.3B) was spent in the US, there might have been some multiplier effect. No diss to the Chinese, but I'd rather my neighbor have a job...

I don't think we take into account the swelling unemployment rolls, need for "public" assistance, loss of vitality in neighborhoods, etc. caused by this race to the bottom.

Take a look at this from a different angle:

That $400M is only ~ 6.3% of the total cost. So if the Union could take a 10% cut in wages (I'm using round figures, I don't know how much of the cost delta is labor vs materials), we could keep all the jobs here, and the taxpayers would not be spending an added $400M. No lost US jobs, money stays in the economy, and a 10% wage cut is not a happy thing, but is not as painful as losing the job.

Clearly, we don't have to match Chinese wages, we just need to be willing to be competitive enough to reduce the motivation to look over there.

-ERD50

FUEGO said:
You forget that the $400 million we as taxpayers saved on the construction of that bridge is $400 million more that we, as taxpayers, have to spend on either more bridge/road/infrastructure projects that we desperately need. Or if the savings are passed to taxpayers in the form of lower tolls/fuel taxes/other taxes, then that means $400,000,000 more we, as consumers, can spend on goods, services, real estate, and capital investments. Said spending would undoubtedly have multiplier effects correct? I'd rather have a less expensive bridge AND more goods/services/capital investments AND my neighbor have a job.

I don't really care if the already highly paid unionist boss has a job though. Nor do I care if the chinese have jobs. I just want a cheaper bridge that meets specs delivered 18 months quicker and to have $400,000,000 more for American consumers to spend as they see fit.

It's all borrowed money. There isn't any left over to spend on other projects. We will have to borrow for those also.

It's all borrowed money. There isn't any left over to spend on other projects. We will have to borrow for those also.

But these clever folks just figured out a way to keep the debt from going up by another $400,000,000. I know that is chump change in the context of megatrillion dollar deficits but every little $400 million counts. :D

Not another bridge to nowhere! :LOL:

Be careful what you say, you'll start a riot.

No wait---There's one going already.

Would you like to get on the waiting list? From this point your waiting time is approximately 6 weeks. :mad:

img_1129136_0_12751dc8a9bc1b2517bf7fa59db4bacf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom