flat tire on car rental...beware of coverage exclusions with American Express Ins.

simple girl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
I wish I had read an old thread someone made about this...because we made the same mistake! Got a flat tire in our rental driving it from the airport to our hotel (on the freeway, no less). Heard a loud sound driving at 70 mph, pulled off at the exit (thankfully we were right by one). It was COMPLETELY flat. Total blowout. Grateful we did not have an accident.

DH changed it because we didn't want to wait for roadside assistance. Called Avis, was told we could bring the car back to exchange it the next day (or they'd send us a shuttle). It was a real pain because we were already about 45 minutes from the airport, so it took a good chunk of our first full vacation day.

They never made any mention of us having to pay for the flat tire, and we stupidly did not even ask! We very WRONGLY assumed it was normal wear and tear and didn't even think to ask if we'd be charged anything. DUMB!!!

A month later I received a letter from AVIS saying we'd be charged $160.57 for the new tire. Oh well, I thought, that's why I use the American Express Car Rental Loss & Insurance Program when we rent cars. I'm finally going to use it!

Again, my bad. I had no clue they exclude coverage for flat tires. Geez!

Lesson learned. We should have taken it to be repaired somewhere with the cheapest tire possible.

FYI for others who might be as clueless as we were!

Interesting. I forget which company (Hertz?) and it was over 10 years ago, but we had the same thing happen and we did not pay anything. Even had to have them come out and change the tire because the shoulder of roadway wouldn’t support the jack (soft gravel). They towed the car off the expressway and changed the tire. I suspect it’s one of those “times have changed” things.

I’m sure it’s there, but I’d at least push a back a little and have them show you where it is in writing that you cover flat tires. Seems like it would be normal wear & tear.

Interesting. I forget which company (Hertz?) and it was over 10 years ago, but we had the same thing happen and we did not pay anything. Even had to have them come out and change the tire because the shoulder of roadway wouldn’t support the jack (soft gravel). They towed the car off the expressway and changed the tire. I suspect it’s one of those “times have changed” things.

I’m sure it’s there, but I’d at least push a back a little and have them show you where it is in writing that you cover flat tires. Seems like it would be normal wear & tear.

We drove a rental from Seattle to San Diego ca 1986. In Portland, the car would no longer go into gear (even with only 6K on the OD.) I called and they trailered a replacement and exchanged it while we slept.

The replacement was a year old with 75K on it. The brakes were so bad that one of the "noise makers" was rubbing the rotor making it screech. It had two burned out low beams.

I called and they said "$25 credit to fix everything" or find a rental location to have it fixed. We were talking a hundred or more miles out of the way. So, I fixed the lights (this was an 85 Olds IIRC). I popped the wheel off and bent the "screecher" back so it would no longer screech. I'm sure we destroyed the rotor.

We drove on for several days to San Diego. We had 1000 paid miles included so were going to have to pay for almost 1000 more upon arrival. At San Diego, no one mentioned the 1000+ miles we owed - so I didn't either.:angel:

Yep, check ahead of time before renting. They're real friendly when they want you to rent - not so much once you have rented. YMMV

I would dispute it before I'd do the amex claim, or both...

Having a car that goes from A to B and back is the point of the rental. Your inconvenience alone far outweighed the cost of the tire. Heck, most of the time I pick up a car and I'm gone from the rental location - for hours - for the whole trip.

Having a car that goes from A to B and back is the point of the rental. Your inconvenience alone far outweighed the cost of the tire. Heck, most of the time I pick up a car and I'm gone from the rental location - for hours - for the whole trip.

Unless you pay for roadside assistance from the rental company, it is your responsibility.

Unless you pay for roadside assistance from the rental company, it is your responsibility.

I've rented hundreds of cars from Hertz and had plenty of service calls for flats, dead batteries, key fob problems etc. Never been billed for anything.

Same thing happened to me in Italy. But since my Amex doesn't cover cars abroad, I used my Costco Visa. When I got home, I made a claim for $150 and was reimbursed.

Never heard (or even thought) of such a thing. I guess I was lucky all the years when I drove rentals while on business trips. Never had any issues.

I've rented hundreds of cars from Hertz and had plenty of service calls for flats, dead batteries, key fob problems etc. Never been billed for anything.

Per my last Hertz contract, FWIW. Where you rent a car may impact how this is worded, this is from Illinois.

PREMIUM EMERGENCY ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE (PERS)

If accepted, PERS reduces Your financial liability for services required to remedy non-mechanical problems with the Car including lockouts, lost key, flat tire and mounting and dead batteries, among other services. Full details are available at each rental location.

Per my last Hertz contract, FWIW. Where you rent a car may impact how this is worded, this is from Illinois.

PREMIUM EMERGENCY ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE (PERS)

If accepted, PERS reduces Your financial liability for services required to remedy non-mechanical problems with the Car including lockouts, lost key, flat tire and mounting and dead batteries, among other services. Full details are available at each rental location.

Your correct. When I search a rental w/out logging on I see this option. However, when I logon with my corporate code it goes away. Interesting.

Same thing happened to me on a business trip. I was charged for a tire due to the fact that I denied "road hazard" insurance coverage. I was billed for a tire.

I wish I had read an old thread someone made about this...because we made the same mistake! Got a flat tire in our rental driving it from the airport to our hotel (on the freeway, no less). Heard a loud sound driving at 70 mph, pulled off at the exit (thankfully we were right by one). It was COMPLETELY flat. Total blowout. Grateful we did not have an accident.

You likely are writing about me. I learned the hard way, too, about this latest fee-grab by car rental companies, and posted about it here. First, I disputed the charge. Then, I called Budget and eventually got them to waive the charge. I suggest you call Avis and tell them you are disputing the charge. Tell them a flat does not happen right after getting a car unless it was defective in the first place. It's worth a shot before forking over the money.

I would dispute the charges with my CC company.

and $160 for a tire, installed, isn't totally outrageous.

No it isn't. But forewarned is forearmed, and if my rental car ever gets a flat I'll take it to the local "Bubba's discount used tires" and see if he can fix me up.:D

Mine was many years ago... but I rented a car in Houston, drove to Tennessee for a week... drove to Washington DC.... while going there I noticed one of the tires was going bald... called to complain as it was not safe...

Had to go out of my way to a location that was not a rental place but where they repaired the cars... took a half day of travel time and waiting to get a new tire... did not cost me anything...

I cannot believe that they are now charging you to get their crappy broken down car fixed :mad: You are renting a usable car and that is what they should provide...

I can understand if you wreck it... but a flat?

DH changed it because we didn't want to wait for roadside assistance. Called Avis, was told we could bring the car back to exchange it the next day (or they'd send us a shuttle). It was a real pain because we were already about 45 minutes from the airport, so it took a good chunk of our first full vacation day.

They never made any mention of us having to pay for the flat tire, and we stupidly did not even ask! We very WRONGLY assumed it was normal wear and tear and didn't even think to ask if we'd be charged anything. DUMB!!!

A month later I received a letter from AVIS saying we'd be charged $160.57 for the new tire. Oh well, I thought, that's why I use the American Express Car Rental Loss & Insurance Program when we rent cars. I'm finally going to use it!

Again, my bad. I had no clue they exclude coverage for flat tires. Geez!

Lesson learned. We should have taken it to be repaired somewhere with the cheapest tire possible.

FYI for others who might be as clueless as we were!

Hmmmm

Enterprise told us that Firestone or Pepboys would take care of any car issues for free (to us). This was after we stopped at a dealer when we figured out the battery had gone bad which they credited us for no issue.

I remember one customer returning because of something coming loose and being sent over to the nearby Firestone. They had been called and were ready to “fix them up”.

Last edited:
I had two flats last year on a US rental (same car). I booked using Chase Sapphire Reserved and submitted a claim when I got back. They reimbursed the full cost of both tires.

One of the tires that was replaced was heavily used and didn't match the other tires on the car. I suspect that a previous renter replaced it with the cheapest tire he could find. I suspect that it may have already been used too (it had a lot of wear compared to the other tires).

This taught me to always check the tires when I pick-up a rental car.

I have had a couple of incidents including a flat tire in rental cars and Hertz charged us nothing. Once the car started making a horrible sound that probably was a transmission issue or something. We parked it, called Hertz, and they sent our a replacement car and someeone to deal with the failed car. When I had a flat tire they asked me to get it fixed and provide the receipt for reimbursement. The transmission issue was about 5 years ago. The tire was almost 30 years ago. Times may have changed.

I was also in a minor accident in a rental car (Hertz) that I thought was my fault. I was merging into a left turn lane but had to stop for a car in front of me only a couple of feet into the left turn lane. A guy came flying down the left turn from farther back and side-swiped me. We were in a Jeep and somehow it was only a reflector that caught a panel on the other guy's Range Rover. Tore much of the side panels of the Range Rover off so I am sure it was a big repair bill. No damages to rental car at all. Police report documented the incident, and the other guy and I agreed on the facts. No citations. Hertz and my insurance company (State Farm) were great and ultimately determined I was not at fault because my vehicle was stationary at the time of the accident and the Range Rover driver had a duty to avoid me. I had heard horror stories about Hertz charging administrative and other fees even if you were not at fault. But they never even mentioned anything like that.

Hertz has done a few things to tick me off through the years but when I had trouble they have always been great about it. It's hard to believe Avis is doing this. I would push back saying they obviously gave you a car that was a safety hazard. Maybe offer not to sue them for endangerment if they don't charge you for the tire.

You likely are writing about me. I learned the hard way, too, about this latest fee-grab by car rental companies, and posted about it here. First, I disputed the charge. Then, I called Budget and eventually got them to waive the charge. I suggest you call Avis and tell them you are disputing the charge. Tell them a flat does not happen right after getting a car unless it was defective in the first place. It's worth a shot before forking over the money.

Yes, I read your thread, and was going to post a reply on there, but it said the thread was too old, so I started my own.

That's really great that you got them to waive the charge! I will call Avis and give it a shot - thank you!

Tell them a flat does not happen right after getting a car unless it was defective in the first place. It's worth a shot before forking over the money.

I agree it’s worth a shot, but I would think that most flats have nothing to do with a tire being defective. Rather running over some form of road debris like a nail or such. In my personal experience, I’ve never had a tire go bad, but I’ve pick up a number of objects that flattened my tires.

In this case, I’m not sure. The way it was described in the OP, I can’t tell if it was due to an object or not.

I agree it’s worth a shot, but I would think that most flats have nothing to do with a tire being defective. Rather running over some form of road debris like a nail or such. In my personal experience, I’ve never had a tire go bad, but I’ve pick up a number of objects that flattened my tires.

In this case, I’m not sure. The way it was described in the OP, I can’t tell if it was due to an object or not.

All I know is we were driving on the interstate at a high speed and heard a loud noise. Then the tire light went off. We pulled off the road and it was completely flat! When hubby changed the tire he said he could see a hole in the tire but no object.

+1. Hertz may cost a little more at times, but in my experience they have been prompt in resolving these type of difficulties at no cost, for both personal and business rentals.

I contacted them and they have refused to waive the charge. I'm still going to dispute it with my credit card company, to at least be a pain in their *ss and make them work for the money. I am sure I will lose and have to pay it, but I don't want to make it easy for them. Ridic.

I contacted them and they have refused to waive the charge. I'm still going to dispute it with my credit card company, to at least be a pain in their *ss and make them work for the money. I am sure I will lose and have to pay it, but I don't want to make it easy for them. Ridic.

Good for you. Just the hassle will cost them at least as much as the tire replacement charge.

Back
Top Bottom