The youngest has job...

OTOH--some summer jobs will be remembered as the best job ever. Like everyone else in our family, DS spent several summers lifeguarding. He also bartended during college. I'm sometimes surprised he still isn't working in those jobs, he had so much fun with them.

I did the lifeguard thing in HS and the bartender/bouncer thing in college. Result-I hate the beach and I hate going to bars. The bars because I see/saw people blowing their meager paychecks every week, for what? The beach because when I go I'm always looking for the victims. Like I am still on duty or something. "Sir, are you the lifeguard? No, but I did stay at a Holiday inn Express last night".

So he came home with the money from his first week. I said hand it over which he did and I gave it to his mom and said put it in his bank account. I think I'll have the Mrs have him go to the bank and make the deposit. I said you'll have a pile of money all your own. Won't that be nice. He said yes.

If you need spending money just ask..
Not sure it is the best way to handle it but WaWa isn't getting his pay. At least not on my watch.
I give him the spending money ...

My two boys, now 19 and 17, have had summer jobs, this is the third summer. I used this as an opportunity to have them open checking accounts and arrange direct deposit (we have never ordered checks though). Local bank had a $100 incentive to open accounts some years ago.

I've been fortunate that they have followed my LBYM example and they haven't spend much over the year. Started early on telling them it's a great opportunity to contribute to a Roth IRA, the principal is available for withdrawals at any time, and I'd provide a 50% match........give me $2K and we'll deposit $3K into the account. Leaves them with about a third of their earnings as spending money and I don't police it, don't want them to think I just give money away.

The older one has done some nominal upgrades to our older PC for gaming (video card and power supply upgrades) and occasionally buys games. The younger one spends on eating out with friends. Any paper checks that come their way ends up in credit union savings accounts they've had since they were toddlers

The older one starts college in a little over a month. I've told them that tuition & room & board (what is billed by school) will be covered by me but anything else is on his money. Haven't figured out books as I'd like him to have skin in the game to decide what's best: new/used/rented (online rentals).

To date, haven't assessed anything for car use as cars are shared and I can't say they have used them excessively for joy-riding. 90% of their driving is activities I'd support and drive them to anyway if they didn't have licenses.

Got the older one a credit card when turned 18, I"m also on the account. Tell him to charge something each month, typical bill is $20-30 except prom season where the credit card bill was a bit over $100. He pays that bill (limit is $1000). Will do same with younger one when he is 18.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the youngest is half as responsible as the the older one...
Im thinking he may surprise me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

I did the lifeguard thing in HS and the bartender/bouncer thing in college. Result-I hate the beach and I hate going to bars. The bars because I see/saw people blowing their meager paychecks every week, for what? The beach because when I go I'm always looking for the victims. Like I am still on duty or something. "Sir, are you the lifeguard? No, but I did stay at a Holiday inn Express last night".

I kind had forgotten over the years why I got my first job at age 14. I guess I was a major PIA for parents to get me to go to Church as I hated going as a teenager as it was a small old foggy church with no one my age. I guess I exasperated my dad to the point that he said I will go to church unless I have a job that requires work on Sundays. Got a job immediately in a restaurant Saturdays and Sundays all through high school and never stopped working until retirement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I kind had forgotten over the years why I got my first job at age 14. I guess I was a major PIA for parents to get me to go to Church as I hated going as a teenager as it was a small old foggy church with no one my age. I guess I exasperated my dad to the point that he said I will go to church unless I have a job that requires work on Sundays. Got a job immediately in a restaurant Saturdays and Sundays all through high school and never stopped working until retirement.

The brother and I would drop off the donation and go fishing...
We were not bad guys - the heat, the people I hated it.

Last edited:
The brother and I would drop off the donation and go fishing...
We were not bad guys - the heat, the people I hated it.

Well, Ray take solace in the fact you were one step better than me growing up. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom