Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
It seems like a lot of stuff is broken in this poor old country of ours. One of the thing that gives me hope is that I can sit in my chair, push a couple buttons on my computer, and the next day (or day after) a man in a brown outfit shows up with almost any item under the sun.
Usually a youngish, fairly fit man in brown shorts with tanned legs!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
One of the thing that gives me hope is that I can sit in my chair, push a couple buttons on my computer, and the next day (or day after) a man in a brown outfit shows up with almost any item under the sun.

Tyro

Old 03-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller View Post
Similar experience here. Admittedly, I do live "way out in the country" but somehow UPS (and USPS) has always been able to find my place (often with different drivers) but the only time I received a package from FedEx they couldn't seem to find the place until they called me for directions.
We're well out in the country as well but UPS always finds us, in fact, not unusual for the driver to see us driving in town and getting our attention if we have a package. It saves them the trip up the mountain!

We use Amazon Prime and get multiple packages per week, usually from UPS but sometimes FedEx. FedEx is getting better but sometimes they don't seem to bother to even try to find us and mark the status as being a customer issue. I've had several conversations with the FedEx management but not sure it helped. The FedEx ground people seem to get it better than the FedEx express team, I've had them both deliver packages on the same day probably passing each other on the 1/2 mile driveway to our house, lol. I mentioned to a driver and was told they are completely separate companies?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

On the topic of telemarketing calls....

This actually is pretty funny (falls into the category of "who's playing who?")

Still Fishin'
Old 03-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Still Fishin'

An update on the call blocker that I bought about a week ago.

The good: I'm only averaging about 1 telemarketing call a day as now I have seven numbers added to my call blocker. (To add a caller on my device is easy. The display pops up during a call and I just press "Blacklist". Or scroll through the number on the display after the call and press "Blacklist").

The bad: None of the numbers added were repeat callers. So I haven't had the satisfaction of actually rejecting a call yet.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
I mentioned to a driver and was told they are completely separate companies?
Yes. FedEx ground (green logo) is the old RPS. The drivers bought their routes and most now own several routes. They are considered contractors. The "owner" hires his own drivers. The owner I know has 5 routes, pays his drivers $125/day, no bennies and makes about $45K/yr himself just managing his routes.

Fred Smith did this so FedEx would not fall under the Nat'l Labor Relations Act. They are currently considered an airline and fall under the Railway Labor Act, making them nearly impossible to unionize and work stoppages illegal.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Success...a repeat telemarketer just automatically got hung up on by my call blocker.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rachael?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Not Racheal, but some other repeat that called me about 20 times last month.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #50

I'll bet you guy's didn't know that the UPS man carries doggy treats for those with big dogs. Ankle biters might also get a treat if they act about 20 times larger...
Old 03-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I'll bet you guy's didn't know that the UPS man carries doggy treats for those with big dogs. Ankle biters might also get a treat if they act about 20 times larger...
My relatives live in rural Oregon and their loose, big dogs rush to meet the UPS guy looking for their treats.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Funny story. The last time I bought dog treats was from K-Mart. Milk Bones were on sale buy 3, get one free and I had coupons for buy one, get one free. I bought 9 boxes and the cashier stopped and looked at me and said, "How many dogs do you own?!!!"
Old 03-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #53

My previous UPS guy always had biscuits for my pup but told me that they were not supposed to carry dog treats per company policy. His replacement does not give out treats but said that he could tell the previous guy did as he was met by dogs (including mine) at most stops on his route.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
My previous UPS guy always had biscuits for my pup but told me that they were not supposed to carry dog treats per company policy. His replacement does not give out treats but said that he could tell the previous guy did as he was met by dogs (including mine) at most stops on his route.
That's true now. People frequently call in complaints because the driver gave their dog a treat and drivers have been bit because he/she may think the treat will protect them.

I only give them to dogs I know, whose owners don't mind, only on my own area. After the contaminated Chinese pet food deaths though, I decided not to buy anymore after my treats run out.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Success...a repeat telemarketer just automatically got hung up on by my call blocker.
A repeat number called at 8:15 in the morning (while I was still asleep) .

Good thing my call blocker caught that, automatically hung up after one ring. I barely noticed
Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Update...well, it looks like I'm back to the drawing board as that call blocker I got stopped functioning properly after about 30 days. It interfered with my DSL connection and would tie up the line. Bummer...now back to the phone ringing with telemarketers.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #57

We ordered a new set of pots and pans from Costco (Cusinart - very good deal vs Amazon) and they were suppose to be delivered by UPS yesterday. While their tracking system is good, their delivery performance vs what the tracking system indicates as being an on time delivery is not so good. It looks like we'll have to wait until Monday. This has happened several times, and while they typically quote 5-7 business days after shipment, they should not indicate delivery by the end of the 5th day for all 5 intransit days and then suddenly change it the evening of the 5th day when they do not make it as stated on the tracking system.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #58

Quote:
Update...well, it looks like I'm back to the drawing board as that call blocker I got stopped functioning properly after about 30 days. It interfered with my DSL connection and would tie up the line. Bummer...now back to the phone ringing with telemarketers.
Can you route your calls through google voice? I think it has automatic blocking of numbers known to be telemarketers.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #59

Quote:
Did you put a filter on it ? Everything using your DSL line except the DSL modem must have a DSL filter on it or it will interfere with the DSL.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Can you route your calls through google voice? I think it has automatic blocking of numbers known to be telemarketers.
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't used google voice yet.
With google voice, do callers my another number or my landline number?