Thermofoil Doors for Kitchen Cabinets?

kyounge1956

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
anybody have them? Are they satisfactory?

Have to post & run, will add more details later.

We used them for our remodeling project four years ago. Holding up OK. You have to watch heat and steam getting on the doors directly. We had a bad experience when using the convection part of a microwave (ours is mounted over the range/oven) with cabinets above. We ended up changing the microwave to a GE Profile that had a better vent system as ours does not vent into a stack. Still, I had a stainless steel deflector fabricated and installed it on top of the microwave to further deflect the steam/heat out and away from the overhead cabinets.

I also heard that oven cleaning may put too much heat around the outside and could harm the doors. Not had that problem.

A friend of ours is remodeling their kitchen now and are going with solid wood cabinets based on our experience. If we had to do it over we would go with solid wood cabinets. Found the price is not that much different.

I promised more details so here they are. I have gotten to the stage with my kitchen remodel of needing to decide which kitchen cabinets to use. I like the simple look of one of the thermofoil styles but Johnnie36's reply has decided me against them. To me a kitchen cabinet that can't stand direct contact with steam is a non-sequitur, like white clothes that can't be bleached or steel pans you aren't supposed to use a metal scrubber on.

More often than not, you get what you pay for. Kitchen cabinets are expensive, I wouldn't settle for Thermofoil. YMMV

I considered them at one point unitl I noticed a chip in one of the dispay doors (Home Depot) and questioned it. I was told that chips are one downfall and in such a situation the door has to be redone. What I find suprising is they would leave the chip on a floor display kitchen for everyone to see.

Pricing tends to be really good but as mentioned, you get what you paid for.

Likewise. I have them in a rental and they were lifting all over. I finally found a special glue for plastics (two part) at Home Depot that would hold them together. But had to go through many tubes of this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom