Join Early Retirement Today

Time for the introverts
Old 01-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Time for the introverts

"Susan Cain says it's time introverts like her get their due. Western culture seems to fawn over attention-seeking extroverts while introverts have been overlooked. But no more, she says."

Time for introverts to get some appreciation - USATODAY.com

I didn't know Warren Buffet is considered an introvert.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

But, but, but, the introverts do not want the limelight!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Like NW says, we introverts already have all the attention we want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I didn't know Warren Buffet is considered an introvert.
He's so introverted that he's on the edge of Asperger's.

You should read the chapter in "The Snowball" where Warren met Bill Gates. Bill's parents actually suggested to the two of them that they should stop giggling together in the corner and mingle with the other guests...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #4

A lot of it fits with my own experience.

"Rampy, a non-profit executive director, says a decade of teaching helped her be more extroverted. "When practicing against type, it wears you out," Rampy says. "I had no difficulty doing it, but it was kind of exhausting by the end of the week."

After an especially busy week of police work - an extrovert's job if there ever was one - all I'd want to do for the next three days was go down in the basement and build a radio control model airplane. Including building the radio.

Then I'd be ready to go back to work.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

It seems that this forum attracts introverts...thinking back to all the Meyers-Briggs threads. I must say that I am one of the introverts attracted to this forum and to ER. A lot of introversion has to do with strong component of self direction...we do well with not having a boss to direct our days.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to be much more extroverted than I am now. I think it has to do with a lot of my stress being gone now that I don't have to go to work, other than the little, fun, self-employment venture I have going.

I treasure the time spent walking in the woods and just being and listening. I love to make art. Quiet time spent in learning - and contemplation is one of the most valuable gifts of retirement.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

On the link to the self-test of the USA today article. Everyone of my answers was on the introverted side. So, I guess I fall in that category
Old 01-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'll bet many of you weren't more extroverted in the past, but just acted that way. That's true for me.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

According to the test, I'm so introverted I'm practically catatonic.

I agree with the writer though - putting up a front is exhausting!

I have always been baffled by people who look forward to parties. If you give me a job and I have to interact with people one on one for brief periods of time (e.g. selling raffle tickets), I do ok. But I just about tear the door of the hinges to get out of there afterwards.

Nui <----- shivers
Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Al - do you find you can maintain the 'extrovert' trappings when you're performing?

I find I become my stage self and turn into a party-animal when I've got the false eyelashes on. I can keep it up for about 3 hours though, then I have to go find a hole to hide in.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'll bet many of you weren't more extroverted in the past, but just acted that way. That's true for me.
Come to think of it, my core self is more like "Ferdinand the Bull." I like to hang out on the hill and smell the flowers
Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Al - do you find you can maintain the 'extrovert' trappings when you're performing?
Good question. I don't really have to be much of an extrovert when performing. I just get up there and play. I introduce the band, and tell the audience when we'll be performing next, but the social interaction while playing is minimal.

HOWEVER, there is a lot of interaction during breaks, and with the guys in the band etc. I think this is why I never sleep well after a gig; it takes me about three days to get back into a good sleep cycle. I don't think this is from performance anxiety, which I do not have, but rather from having to be an extrovert.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would say I have a split personality when it comes to being introverted or extroverted, especially in the last 10 years.

When I was working, I was quite introverted. I rarely, if ever, wanted to have anything to do with nonwork office activities which involved other coworkers. For example, I never attended the evening holiday party in all the 23 years I worked. I rarely, if ever, went to any group luncheons unless I absolutely had to (and I disliked those a lot). I mainly kept to myself and just wanted to get home after a long day at work and the long, awful commute.

However, once I stopped working full-time and began working part-time in 2001, I resurrected an old hobby (advanced square dancing) and began my volunteer work with the National Scrabble Association's School Scrabble program, I became more extroverted in those areas. I liked being the center of attention and sometimes just acting silly. It is as if I am a different person when I am doing those things.

I still consider myself an introvert overall because I live alone and don't seek out company most of the time other than my ladyfriend (who is also rather introverted) and my best (male) friend.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
On the link to the self-test of the USA today article. Everyone of my answers was on the introverted side. So, I guess I fall in that category
Course one could say if you were so introverted, you wouldn't have posted it here, but kept it to yourself
Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #15

All this talking about introversion is wearing me out...........
Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1, it was a job requirement for me. I tend to be an introvert only in a sea of strangers, have to force myself to break out in those situations. I learned to do so without too much trouble (and without resorting to sports or weather, too transparent)...but it was out of necessity.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

DW is an introvert who plays an extrovert at work. She fools a lot of people.

I have never been able to pretend to be an extrovert. Or maybe I have never cared enough to give it a real shot.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
Course one could say if you were so introverted, you wouldn't have posted it here, but kept it to yourself

Could be. But one of the questions was something like "Do you prefer writing than speaking?"

Also, I think a forum like this is both public and private at the same time. Safe for both the extroverts and introverts, which is great.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #19

The funny thing about being introverted, I used to think to myself, am I the only one in the crowd that feels this way, until I found this forum
Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
HOWEVER, there is a lot of interaction during breaks, and with the guys in the band etc. I think this is why I never sleep well after a gig; it takes me about three days to get back into a good sleep cycle. I don't think this is from performance anxiety, which I do not have, but rather from having to be an extrovert.
I know EXACTLY how you feel!