Tip: Be Permanently Absent

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I decided to become a permanent absentee voter a few years ago, which means that instead of driving to the polls each election day and possibly waiting in line, my own personal ballot is delivered to my house. I fill it out when I feel like it, in the privacy of my own home, and drop it in the mailbox.

Highly recommended.

Except they don't count the absentee votes in some jurisdictions unless results from the people who showed up at the polls is very close.

Here in WA, 70% of the voters vote by mail. Definitely the way to go.

Yes, and 100% in Oregon.

Really I miss the gossip with the poll workers who were the my parents peers. It was the only way I could keep up on the activities of some of my childhood friends. So, anyone know what Mickey Lolich (former Detroit pitcher) is up to these days?

I kind of like going to the polling (hur hur hur) station. I live in a town of less than 10,000 people and I usually see someone I know or a neighbor.

I voted absentee al those years I was assigned somewhere outside my home, so voting in person is a special treat still. I dropped by our county board of electios to find out where my polling place was, and they told me I could vote today if I wanted--so I did. They had the machines all set up to accomodate folks who wouldn't be able to get to the polls on election day. Nice Diebold touch-screen machines. Very convenient how they already had the right candidates selected by default when the screen came up. ;)

samclem said:
Very convenient how they already had the right candidates selected by default when the screen came up. ;)

We've been doing that in Chicago for decades. And those fancy electronic machines aren't needed! We can pre-punch, pre-fill-in-the-circle or even pre-write-in paper ballots quick and easy. Was your six pack waiting back at your car?

I always vote early. We are either traveling (like this year when we will be in San Antonio for election day) or I work the polls and am automatically enrolled for an early ballot. In general elections, voting early lets you avoid crowds. Also, if there are lots of conflicting or confusing ballot propositions (like this year) you can research them and decide how to vote in the comfort of your own lounger. :) :) :)

We count all votes in AZ regardless of how close elections are.

lets-retire said:
Except they don't count the absentee votes in some jurisdictions unless results from the people who showed up at the polls is very close.

Not arguing the point but just curious where this is the case.

TromboneAl said:
I decided to become a permanent absentee voter a few years ago, which means that instead of driving to the polls each election day and possibly waiting in line, my own personal ballot is delivered to my house. I fill it out when I feel like it, in the privacy of my own home, and drop it in the mailbox.
Highly recommended.
Especially considering that it took me an hour to work through all the initiatives to amend the state constitution and the city charter. And then there's remembering all the personalities who want to joint the Board of Education and the Office of Hawaiian Affairs.

My spouse appreciates absentee balloting so that I can mark her ballot at the same time I'm marking mine. Heh-heh-heh-- she voted for a Republican this year!

Brat said:
Yes, and 100% in Oregon.
I hear that 120% of Chicago's registered voters file absentee ballots...

South Carolina (actually I think it's Charleston County) has a long list of reasons you can vote absentee, including being 65 or older. My reason is that I don't trust voting machines that don't give you feedback on how you voted. They told me that was not acceptable, and I'm not willing to lie and state that I'll be out of town when I won't be--so I'll be there with bells on this Tuesday. I like to go to the polling place in person for several reasons (democracy in action, see the neighbors, know what people are talking about when they complain about the voting machinery/lines), but these machines are disturbing so these days I'd prefer a paper ballot. Wish I could use one at the polling place.

Nords said:
. . .
That's not quite true. 120% of the dead voters voted absentee ballots. Some of the live voters are rumored to have voted at the polls . . . . . twice. :D

Starting this year, in Ohio, anyone can vote absentee. I did.

Khan said:
Do they have to live in Ohio? I'd be willing to cast a few votes there. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Khan said:

In Colorado too. But I want to go to the poll and stand in line and do the deed in person. :D

Nords said:

And gosh........the registered Republican voters are still standing at their mailboxes waiting for their absentee ballots to arrive........ :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Gosh, I wonder what happened? :confused: ;)

Khan said:
If you are a dem you almost have to. The minority polling places were short changed on machines last go around leading to horrendous waits. If the waits didn't get you republican goons would challenge you. If you didn't have a pocket full of ID fuggeddaboudit (sp?). Rumors have it that the challengers are heading out again this year. I am inquiring to find out if I can go to a VA minority polling place and challenge the challengers. It would be interesting to get names and photos and then tally up who they challenge. It is a violation of civil rights to target minority members for challenge. How about a few individual tort actions against challengers - that would put the fear of God into them.

What's the matter with those Ohio Dems anyway? Reublican goons? That would last about fifteen minutes here. Sure, we've had some ethnic groups disenfranchised here, but not for their ethnicity, but because of their political persuasion. And that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Don, if you have the time, you really should go. It would be the right thing to do!

astromeria said:
I'm not willing to lie and state that I'll be out of town when I won't be
Hawaii, with one of the nation's lowest voter-participation rates, mails out postcards that you can return to request an absentee ballot for whatever reason.

I'm 46 years old, I've never missed an election, and I've never voted in a polling place.

Brat said:
Yes, and 100% in Oregon.

Really I miss the gossip with the poll workers who were the my parents peers. It was the only way I could keep up on the activities of some of my childhood friends. So, anyone know what Mickey Lolich (former Detroit pitcher) is up to these days?
He coaches at spring training for the Tigers in Lakeland Fla.
PS- He still talks to Bill Freehan.

califdreamer said:
Not arguing the point but just curious where this is the case.

I don't remember right off the top of my head, because I don't vote absentee often. It was one of the things I discovered during the 2000 presidential fiasco. Since each state has their own laws covering how elections are handled, you could probably look it up on a state website, if you're curious.

youbet said:
Don, if you have the time, you really should go. It would be the right thing to do!
It turns out that VA does not allow voter challengers in the room like Ohio, Kentucky and some other states do. I live in DC where no one would bother if they could - no way they could stop enough votes to change the outcome. :LOL: I am not prepared to go up to Ohio which is why I was looking nearby. I suspect Ohio precincts will probably have things under better control this time around anyway.

Houston has periodically had some precincts report votes for more than 100% of the number of registered voters. I would think there should be a little more oversite in those precints.

Probably our greatest threat to democracy is the perception of widespread voting fraud. Both major parties attack the other in one form or fashion every election over this issue. Unless the accusations are true, I would think all election participants would favor and "iron clad" voter ID approach and aggressive steps to prevent fraud. This can all be done without "disenfranchising" anyone legally entitled to vote.

I would like to announce that both my in-laws voted by mail this year. In Texas at least two votes were cast by individuals mentally certified to have dementia. They may not be allowed to drive a motor vehicle, they may not remember what they ate at their last meal but their right to vote is sacred. I would also like to announce that one demented person voted Dem and the other voted Repub.

DW and I voted early.

2B said:
. . . I would like to announce that both my in-laws voted by mail this year. In Texas at least two votes were cast by individuals mentally certified to have dementia.. .
If we're going to have a President with dementia, I don't see why we can't have voters with the same cognitive function problems. :D :D :D

Hey, I have a relative with a major mental illness and he votes!

Got a call from him a couple weeks ago, he had gotten sucked in by a negative campaign ad. When I suggested he look at what the other candidate had to say he hung up on me. ::)

Back
Top Bottom