Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

What's the usual and customary tip for the bedbugs?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

lol

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #43

I don't mind tipping given my current level of income - I'm not going to miss the tip amount. If/when I have a lower income I may be more discerning.

The main annoyance is when a "double tip" is expected. For example, room service that tacks on a "service/gratuity" charge and then STILL expect you to add an additional tip. I've have a few occasions where the room service server looked very miffed when I didn't add an additional tip, even after I pointed out "The tip is already included in the charge like it says here on the menu, correct?" I've made it a point to write complaint letters and avoid those hotels.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went to a Popeye's Chicken last night to get some take-out food, and paid with a credit card (I always pay for everything with credit, I never carry cash on me) and they had the gall to have a "tip" line on the receipt.

I've never tipped at a fast-food take-out place, and never will. If it's full service, they wait on me, bring out the food, etc, then yes. But not at a place where all they have to do is throw some chicken in a box, bag it up, and hand it to me. I drew a big line through the tip line on the receipt, and just paid them the actual charge.

I do agree that tipping in this country has gotten out of hand, especially at place that aren't "full service". They can put tip lines on receipts, tip jars by registers, etc, all they want but I'm not tipping at anything other than full service. If you want a tip, then seat me, come take my order, bring me my food, and check in on me every once in a while. That deserves a tip. Throwing some food in a bag and handing it to me does not.

/rant off
Old 10-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
What's the usual and customary tip for the bedbugs?
Tip #1: go next door.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #46

Stayed at a JW Marriott last week and sure enough there was a special envelope for the anticipated housekeeping 'gratuity'. It was empty when I arrived, and empty when I left.

Marriott, stop pressuring your customers to do your job for you.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Agreed. Directly PAY THEM what they are worth, charge customers based on that labor rate, and leave us alone.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Stayed at a JW Marriott last week and sure enough there was a special envelope for the anticipated housekeeping 'gratuity'. It was empty when I arrived, and empty when I left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Agreed. Directly PAY THEM what they are worth, charge customers based on that labor rate, and leave us alone.
+2

If I got that envelope, I think I'd write up a letter to that effect, put it into the envelope, and then ask to speak to the manager, and show him the letter.

But odds are, I wouldn't want to take up my time while travelling, so I'd just leave it empty, and they can think I'm a cheapskate I guess. And they should just pay the maids and not rely on tips - don't lay a guilt trip on me for not leaving a tip. Where is the 'hospitality' in the hospitality business - making your 'guests' uncomfortable is a lousy way to treat them?

-ERD50
Old 10-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #49

I always tip $1-2 per day to the housekeeping staff when I stay in any hotel, regardless of the cost of the room, etc. Those people have an absolutely horrible job IMHO, cleaning up dirty bathrooms, bed sheets, carpets, trash cans, and god knows what else for endless hours every day. I can only imagine the daily nastiness they encounter. I know that I would never ever want such a job, so it makes me feel good to tip them and hopefully brighten up their day a little and make their daily grind a bit more tolerable.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
... Those people have an absolutely horrible job IMHO, cleaning up dirty bathrooms, bed sheets, carpets, trash cans, and god knows what else for endless hours every day. I can only imagine the daily nastiness they encounter. I know that I would never ever want such a job, so it makes me feel good to tip them and hopefully brighten up their day a little and make their daily grind a bit more tolerable.
I agree it's a tough, nasty job. So wouldn't it be better if instead of a variable source of income like tips (clearly, many of us don't tip at all), the hotel paid them $X/hour, and eliminated the variability from tips? When you are already at a low wage, variability is a very bad thing.

Eliminate the tipping, and increase their wages - that should be a good thing, no?

-ERD50
Old 10-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
+2

If I got that envelope, I think I'd write up a letter to that effect, put it into the envelope, and then ask to speak to the manager, and show him the letter.

But odds are, I wouldn't want to take up my time while travelling, so I'd just leave it empty, and they can think I'm a cheapskate I guess. And they should just pay the maids and not rely on tips - don't lay a guilt trip on me for not leaving a tip. Where is the 'hospitality' in the hospitality business - making your 'guests' uncomfortable is a lousy way to treat them?

-ERD50
Since I still w*rk part time and travel a lot on business, I stay in upwards of 25 hotel stays per year and belong to all the points clubs. One thing I have noticed more these days is an e-mail after each stay asking to comment on the "experience". More than a few times I have written less than good comments and a few times, the hotel manager actually called me about what I wrote.

Seems like that feedback system may have some influence.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I agree it's a tough, nasty job. So wouldn't it be better if instead of a variable source of income like tips (clearly, many of us don't tip at all), the hotel paid them $X/hour, and eliminated the variability from tips? When you are already at a low wage, variability is a very bad thing.

Eliminate the tipping, and increase their wages - that should be a good thing, no?

-ERD50
Sure, I agree they should be paid more... but I'm nearly 100% sure that they won't be, therefore I tip them. I look at it as a way I can personally contribute to a little more happiness in their life, since the megacorp they work for is unlikely to do it.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sure, I agree they should be paid more... but I'm nearly 100% sure that they won't be, therefore I tip them. I look at it as a way I can personally contribute to a little more happiness in their life, since the megacorp they work for is unlikely to do it.
Yes, what I object to is the employers putting me in this awkward situation in the first place. I don't fault the employees, many of whom don't earn enough money to even rent a small apartment near where they work.

Many European countries have the right idea. Pay your staff a living wage. Tipping? Round up to the nearest Euro.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Yes, what I object to is the employers putting me in this awkward situation in the first place. I don't fault the employees, many of whom don't earn enough money to even rent a small apartment near where they work.

Many European countries have the right idea. Pay your staff a living wage. Tipping? Round up to the nearest Euro.
I like the European approach as well and would love to see that become the norm here in the U.S., especially in restaurants. However, it seems highly unlikely. So, my only alternative is to tip in ways that makes me feel like I'm making a small positive difference in someone's life. And yes, I object to any company making me feel like it's my obligation to tip. It should always be discretionary, even though by custom it is nearly mandatory in certain situations.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Since I still w*rk part time and travel a lot on business, I stay in upwards of 25 hotel stays per year and belong to all the points clubs. One thing I have noticed more these days is an e-mail after each stay asking to comment on the "experience". More than a few times I have written less than good comments and a few times, the hotel manager actually called me about what I wrote.

Seems like that feedback system may have some influence.
Like you, I still travel a lot, typically with a group of ICs. The survey responses are apparently very skewed to high grades--I used to think I was giving the housekeeping staff a big "attaboy" with an "8" out of 10, but apparently anything less than a perfect score is a big knock. They don't do anything sophisticated like adjusting the scores based on the evaluator (a "7" from Traveler A is worth more than a "9" from Traveler B, because A is a hard grader, etc).

These hotel feedback systems set up an interesting dynamic. The scores matter a LOT to the managers--maybe too much. One of the folks I travel with is no longer welcome at a particular hotel (the one we all prefer) because he dinged the management pretty hard for a little issue. The manager would rather not have him as a guest (and risk another bad survey). The scoring system has now created a situation where the manager's interests (getting very favorable survey responses) are no longer aligned with the hotel owner's (more revenue/profit). Maybe this is worth something at the front desk: "I know I don't have a reservation. I'm prepared to fill out a very favorable guest survey if you can find a room for me tonight in this fine hotel for $90"
Old 10-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And the end result is that you are supporting a system that you agree is detrimental to the workers and should be changed. The more you support it, the less likely it is to change.

This isn't exactly tilting at windmills - I know that tips are just part of the routine for waiters, and withholding tips won't change anything at a restaurant. But tipping is not so standardized for hotel cleaning service, and I think we can make a difference, esp if we take a moment to talk to or write the management.

-ERD50
Old 10-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

I agree with the European way. I was entertaining a Welchman here in the Midwest and tried to explain the notion of tipping to him. I failed miserably, questioned myself on why we tip. That said I'm a generous tipper, except I'd never heard of tipping housecleaning until post 31.

You can use the fact you're an American in Europe to your advantage. Many waiters recognize you may tip and provide more stellar service than the normal. I was with another American in South Africa, our waitress was wonderful, she knew we were Americans on business and likely to tip. Yes she was tipped well. Several nights later we came back, without reservations to the same excellent restaurant. The host said they were full, the same waitress saw us, talked to the host. We were given a window table with a view of the sun setting over the Atlantic with her as our waitress. Yes, she was tipped well again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #58

Certain jobs, like waiters, pay less because tippin is part of our culture. And, tipping a delivery person with pizza, as an example, usually means a tip although you probably have paid a delivery charge. Why is Marriott doing this? Two reasons, I think.....1. they won't have to raise wages as much to attract help, 2. to add to our costs without raising room rates. I, for one, won't tip any more at a Marriott than I would at any other hotel. And, the only place I do tip would be at a B&B or a hotel that gives additional services.....can't think of any cause I don't go high end hotels, if I don't have to.

I wonder if Marriott leaves tip envelopes in the rooms of their lower cost motel chains?
Old 10-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Here's another thought on tipping and the growth of things like tip jars: In those cities that have adopted a $15 minimum wage, will tipping still be expected and/or necessary?
Old 10-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
I wonder if Marriott leaves tip envelopes in the rooms of their lower cost motel chains?
Stayed in a Fairfield in June, no envelope.

There is another positive aspect for some tipping. The other night after a 700 mile drive we stopped in a Sonic 2 miles from home. We were both tired, exhausted, and hungry. I gave the hop $10.00 for a $7.80 bill, the look on her face was incredible. My DW mentioned I made the girls day(most folks don't tip at this sonic). Yes, so much gratitude for 2 bucks, made my day too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app