Toyota Camry

summer2007

Recycles dryer sheets
Just wondering if anyone owns or has owned a Toyota Camry and if they like it?

I'm thinking of buying one.

It would be my first foreign car if I get one. I have always bought American but I have been having so many repair problems with them I think it is time for a change.

I also was interested in the Honda Civic and the Toyota Corolla but I think the trunk size is too small. But I'm not totally sure on that because I can't find the dimensions listed anywhere!

Jim

We have a 2004 Camry . Typical Toyota. Just put in gas. Can't think of any repairs to date. Just runs and runs. You will like it.

My last 3 cars have been Toyotas,run em for 200,000 trouble free miles then sell before they start needing repairs.A fully loaded Camry is like a Japanese Cadillac comfortwise,its also very reliable.If you get one join the
Toyota Nation forum for any specific questions you might have.

I have a 2003 Camry and it's my second one. They keep getting better and better. My mechanic highly recommends them and has one with 300K miles. It's still running great.

They tend to have a large trunk. The newer ones that I have seen don't have the 'pass through' into the passenger area like the old ones. Handy for carrying something longer.

They have a large gas tank too.

My Dad is on his 4th Camry now; it's the only car he buys.

Camry is a legendary car for reliability, safety, economy. If you are not into a car as your statement of self-image I think it is a superb choice.

I considered a Camry (a Solara, actually) but was taken by the Prius which I ultimately bought (I'm kind of a technology fiend). I was surprised how much room it has for both people and cargo and it has been utterly reliable after almost 4 years. The performance is lackluster but the 60 mpg on my typical commute helps me overlook that.

I test drove a Camry when the redesign came out. My only qualm is that the handling is numb...almost bus like. Toyota tends to make looser steering. It's important to some, a non-factor to others but I would definitely recommend trying both Toyotas and Hondas to see which you feel more comfortable in.

My wife has a Civic and the trunk is a decent size. We fit a 3-piece hard case luggage set in last week and had room to spare. I can also fit my mountain bike in the back with the back seat folded down.

Camry owners........Our 2004 Camry seems to coast (no foot to throttle) amazingly
well on flat land. Maybe my memory is faulty or just gotten recalibrated to the AWD
Subaru that I drive most of the time, but I don't remember any of the other cars we've owned as coasting like that. Have the Camry engineers really conquered friction that well or is it just that I haven't driven new cars for that long? It almost feels like there is
a mini version of cruise control .

I owned a '92 Camry ( 4 cyl.) and a '95 Camry (6 cyl.) and drove them with little or no trouble for many years and more than 100K miles. Both were very comfortable on long trips and reasonably fuel efficient. I have since moved up to a pre-owned Lexus.

I would recommend a Camry without hesitation.

I have a 99 Solara Camry. Best car I have ever had . I'm looking at the new Camry's now but they are kind of boring in design .

I owned a 99 Camry and a 98 Accord. Both were very mechanically sound. I put about 100,000 miles on both and never had any problem. Only major work was timing belt change. Our mechanic said not to ignore this one.

On the other side the Accord held up better in the interior. The Camry head liner was beginning to sac, and the vinyl was pulling away from the door on the drivers side.

The Camry had a smoother ride. DW refered to it as ''more like her kind of car". The Accord had a stiffer ride and felt more responsive. Onve thing I did not like about the Accord is that as a four cylinder it was a little under powered when passing. To solve the problem, Honda takes the load off the engine at the start of the pass to allow the engine to rev, then adds it back in. This caused a lag at the start of a pass, and a sinking feeling if things were going to be close. I understand this was not a problem with six cylindar cars, and I don't know if they work the same today.

Short form, I would not hesitate to own either again. (Honda Pilot now)

I'm driving an '86 Camry I bought 10 years ago from my FIL. Very few repairs, very reliable.

Most people find the Civic to be a little more "sporty" than the Camry, but both cars are appliances, not go-fast fun machines.

Consumer Reports has noticed a slight dip in Toyota quality in the recent past. It is nothing earthshaking, but whereas they used to give Toyotas a "pass" based on their reputation, they will no longer recommend a new Toyota model until it has established a track record of its own.

I have a 2000 Camry Solara (the coupe version of the Camry). I absolutely love it. I wanted something with good gas mileage and reliability, and it has delivered both. I got much higher gas mileage than the ratings on my 4 cylinder model (always over 30 mpg, and nearly 40 when trying very hard to conserve gas on the freeway coming back after Katrina). It didn't need even one single repair until it was over nine years old. For the first eight years all it needed was oil, gas, battery, tires, and similar maintenance. I would recommend it highly to anyone looking for reliability and good gas mileage in a car.

Although it is not a sportscar, I think the coupe version is less boring looking than a standard Camry. Unfortunately, it will not be made any longer.

Several months before I bought my Solara, I took a regular Camry for a test drive. That told me a lot. Yes, it did seem more boring than I had expected, though that was nine years ago. I didn't like the driver's seat at the time but I think they have improved it since then. I told the salesman very honestly that I did not plan to buy that day, and he still didn't mind the test drive.

I might go take another test drive in a Camry soon.

Last edited:
We owned a 1983 Camry diesel for 14 years (Toyota imported these for only 2 years) and got a pretty consistent 45mpg. Traded it in for a 97 RAV, which we held onto until we purchased an 07 Camry hybrid. We also own an 01 Sienna. We've been very impressed with the reliability of Toyota products and would not hesitate to purchase another car from this company.

We had a 1990 Camry. Extremely reliable and mechanically trouble free for most of it's life. Unfortunately, the 1990's had a problem with rust around the wheel wells. You can see it on a lot of ones still on the road. We sold it in May, 2009 with 142,000 miles on it. Still ran well but due to age in an area with snow and salt, things were starting to dissolve and fall off of it. So the last 2-3 years were getting to be expensive.

We had such a good experience with the 1990 that we bought a used 2003 in 2005. Excellent car but nothing exciting. I'm used to it but others in the family say it feels "floaty" compared to their cars. Not a lot of road feel. Nice size trunk and comfortable interior.

Body style wise I liked the 1990 body style better. Nice big windows and a great view out the back and sides. Nobody makes anything like that anymore. Cars look sleeker now. I'll be glad when the styles go back.

My husband has a 2001 Corolla and our son has a 2007 Yaris, so we like the Toyotas.

A friend at work is considering buying a Camry. Neither she nor I know much about cars. Do you think they handle well in the snow and have adequate acceleration?

I also have a 2004 Camry LE. Just over 60K miles. Have not had to do anything but standard oil and fluid changes. I get around 30 mpg for mostly city driving. It's not an exciting car but very reliable and modestly priced.

I don't have direct experience with Camry, but it is generally
highly-regarded. Consumer Reports says Honda, Toyota, Subaru
are the best-made cars (in that order, I believe). There's little
question that Honda is the best-made car IMHO, and I've enjoyed
every one I've ever driven, so if there's one of those that works
for you ... I personally prefer Subaru (Outback wagon) due to
liking a wagon and the AWD (for inclement weather) and generally
excellent handling in such a practical vehicle.

Thanks to our mechanic, we bought a 2002 Camry. I asked him for a recommendation, and he almost answered it before I finished the question. This Camry is DW's, but we take it on trips. Love it for reliability; no complaints.

DW has a 2007 Camry Hybrid. We have been absolutely thrilled with it. Very reliable, beautifully appointed (for the price) with a great/quiet ride.

Toyota's are always setup for a comfortable ride, sort of Buick like. If you want sporty, you will like the Accord better than the Camry. They are both great cars. I would give the Fusion a look too, I rented one recently and was pleasantly surprised (very).

Eagle,
I ask my mechanic what car I should drive. He said a Ford or Chevy. I told him that surprised me. He said, 'Well I did not say what I would by, a Honda or Toyota, you ask what you should buy!'

A friend at work is considering buying a Camry. Neither she nor I know much about cars. Do you think they handle well in the snow and have adequate acceleration?

Here's a review of the 2007 Camry in winter conditions:

2007 Toyota Camry, on ice | Long-Term Road Tests Blog on Edmunds' Inside Line

A lot of people drive Camrys in Canada and all the Camry owners I know like them. Personally, I'm not so worried about acceleration in the snow/on the ice; my ability to stop is more important to me!!!

Oops, Mead. I didn't intend to connect the two(driving in snow and acceleration), but I can see how it sounds like I did by the way I posed the question. I enjoyed reading the Edmonds link . My friend plans to buy her car new. It will also be her only car so it sounds like the Camry would be an excellent choice for her. I think she should get it with the stability control mentioned by someone in the link. She does some private duty nursing on week ends that takes her out in all weather at some considerable distances, sometimes up into the mountains around here. She doesn't want to get a crossover vehicle or small SUV which I initially suggested she consider.

Back
Top Bottom