Trader Joes Finally Arrives In Minnesota!

Re: Trader Joes Open First Store In Minnesota!

I am jealous - had it in Tucson, and miss it in Tampa.

3-buck Chuck, huh. Still a deal.

Try the shower soap - the expensive stuff. Amazing.

Their real-cheese cheese puffs are amazing.

I could go on and on... Enjoy!

Re: Trader Joes Open First Store In Minnesota!

Rich_in_Tampa said:
I am jealous - had it in Tucson, and miss it in Tampa.

3-buck Chuck, huh. Still a deal.

Try the shower soap - the expensive stuff. Amazing.

Their real-cheese cheese puffs are amazing.

I could go on and on... Enjoy!
Will do!

"Try the shower soap - the expensive stuff. Amazing."

Ohhh. I love the soaps from there. My new favorite is a triple milled rose soap. Wonderful stuff.

I am jealous, too. Iowa will be the last place on earth Trader Joe's opens its doors.

TJ rocks! That's where my wife and I do most of our shopping.

Good to know their spreading accross the US (planning to move out of So. Cal. when FI).

Trader Joe's........ that's the place that took over the old Farmer's Mercantile building. You know, across the street from the Side Track Tap. Right?

When we move to Hawaii next month, DH will miss In-n-Out Burger, and I will miss Trader Joes!! I do about 1/2 of my shopping there (wish they had more of a produce section). I love their milk chocolate covered pretzels and the peanut butter filled pretzels!!

youbet said:
Trader Joe's........ that's the place that took over the old Farmer's Mercantile building. You know, across the street from the Side Track Tap. Right?
:D Yeah, down the street from the Acme building, in a city that normally knows how to keep its secrets....

haven't been yet but i've heard these stores are great. south florida still trader joeless

LL said:
"Try the shower soap - the expensive stuff. Amazing."

Ohhh. I love the soaps from there. My new favorite is a triple milled rose soap. Wonderful stuff.

I am jealous, too. Iowa will be the last place on earth Trader Joe's opens its doors.
Hey LL, Road Trip!

Funny, when we talk about moving to a cheaper location for retirement, whether or not Trader Joe's is close by factors into the conversation! Great wine, great food, just amazing place.

LL said:
Yup, right before Hawaii.

J-Lu said:
When we move to Hawaii next month,  DH will miss In-n-Out Burger, and I will miss Trader Joes!!  I do about 1/2 of my shopping there (wish they had more of a produce section).  I love their milk chocolate covered pretzels and the peanut butter filled pretzels!! 
Just gotta replace those "old" traditions with new ones.  If someday you leave Hawaii, you might look back on this post and laugh at how that's happened.

When our kid travels to the Mainland, the land of potato products, she misses rice.

You know there's no Targets or Marshalls or a host of other Mainland chain stores in Hawaii, right? Sometimes the Mainland TV commercials on HGTV are almost a complete miss...

But the Mainland also doesn't have to put up with commercials for Hilo Hatties or Lex Brodie's Tires.

Chuck is $3.69 in Ohio. The gov'ner needs to claim tax reductions so we get a few extra revenue enhancements.

JohnP

Oooooh Trader Joe's, there is one right on Boylston Street here in Boston. I buy as much as I can carry back to the office, their stuff is great, I wish they would put one in my areal.

I am doing the happy dance here in Minnesota (but it doesn't look like the one you posted - my husband is bummed!). I am glad Trader Joe's is here - and three buck Chuck is pretty good - even for this professed wine snob wannabe :LOL:

I went to the Trader Joes in Minnesota, on opening day, and it was packed with happy people. I'd never been to one before and wanted to find out what all the fuss was about. After buying a few bottles of $3 buck Chuck, I made a plan to return in a few weeks when the crowds die down and get busy sampling.

We've got one an hour in one direction and another an hour in the opposite direction. Once a month trips with a cooler and our spare fridge/freezer out in the garage softens the blow. :(

Two buck chuck is three bucks when you get away from the left coast due to (supposedly) increased shipping costs. Its bottled by the bronco something or other wholesaler under the charles shaw name, which they bought. The shiraz won some kind of blind tasting award last year, much to the chagrin of the testers who feared loss of reputation.

Do note that the quality of the wine varies, as the sources change regularly. I bought a couple of bottles of their chardonnay, thought it was acceptable and bought a bunch more on the next trip. Unfortunately the new batch wasnt anywhere near as good.

CT - theres some good stuff at TJ's...in the frozen aisle you'll find a variety of pretty good frozen seafood, seasoned racks of lamb, buffalo burgers, lots of vegetarian and asian specialties, lots of little low fat low cal frozen entrees...good prepackaged salads like greens with candied walnuts and maytag blue cheese...lots of soy stuff...a huge variety of "shortcut" foods like indian and thai "simmer sauces", all sorts of delicacies and unusual foodstuffs...all at pretty good prices.

Think "natual" and slightly "fru fru california" stuff, of good quality and at good prices.

Their frozen fettucini alfredo is a big hit around here.

Only problem I have with the place is that they tend to be small, with very narrow aisles, and filled with people who like to kitty corner their cart while they do a forensic examination of a can of tuna's label. "ITS GOT FRICKIN TUNA IN IT!" :LOL:

They have killer buffalo wings in the frozen section, too. And every kind of chocolate covered thing you could want. Wine selection goes way beyond 2-buck-chuck, I never got that craze. Tons of good wine in the $5 to $10 range, they carry yellowtail, too.

If this makes any sense, it's a fun store to go to.

We have two Trader Joe stores within a three-mile radius of our home.

Trader Joe has the best:
produce, cheeses, nuts, chips, cereals, condiments, coffee, tea,
frozen cheese cake, fresh flowers. The store is always busy!

The one here in Boston is always busy and they usually have things I can't find in a regular grocery store.

My only problem with TJ's is that sometimes they just stopped carrying a product. I've been shopping there since '97 and used to love their Edamame Rice Bowls. It was one of those things that got me through bachelorhood, and then all of a sudden, they stopped carrying it. I guess their supplier either started charging too much or went out of business. This has happened with a few things here and there. Just a minor complaint for an otherwise awesome store. Good quality food at very good prices and great service.

DW does about 90% of her non-produce related shopping there.

The Shiraz it the best of the bunch as far as the Chuck goes.

Yellowtail is worth the extra $2 IMHO. But if you like the chuck, like some of my friends do, you will be in heaven with the price, like some of my friends are. :D

Laurence said:
Yellowtail is worth the extra $2 IMHO. But if you like the chuck, like some of my friends do, you will be in heaven with the price, like some of my friends are. :D
I'm curious about the Chuck - we'll see - price is not everything to me - life is too short for so-so wine....By the way not to cause any discomfort and I know Yellowtail has a huge huge following - but I just don't get what all the fuss is about...Some NY Times wine snob said it was perfect for a country brought up on soda pop...what does he mean by that? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom