Trying to spend money

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
This is getting ridiculous.

I really need to buy some clothes. I can't find info on what size I am.

I was looking at Land's End and went to the online discussions and have gotten several different definitions of 'petite' size.

Why is it so difficult to spend money?

Just because I'm female doesn't mean I have some otherworldly understanding of all this crap.

I like Lands End, too. Some Sears stores sell the brand. Call your nearest Sears to see if they are one of the stores that stock their clothing and maybe go try on some things. I have found some attractive items recently at Christopher & Banks at the mall, and they have a petite section in their stores. They sell good quality, easy care coordinating separates that are well priced I think. They are constantly getting in new stock, too, and seem to always have all sizes on hand.

I recently bought some clothing at zappos.com . They have a great return policy:

If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, you can return your order to the warehouse for a full refund. We believe that in order to have the best possible online shopping experience, our customers should not have to pay for domestic return shipping. So if for whatever reason you're not happy with your purchase, just go through our easy self-service return process (via My Account) to print out a free return label - your domestic shipping costs are prepaid.
(Self Service) Return Instructions
With Zappos Retail, Inc.'s 365 day return policy, there are no special catches or exceptions. All we ask is that you send the items back to us in the original packaging, and make sure that the merchandise is in the same condition.

So, if something doesn't fit then I could just send it back and they will even pay for the shipping.

I like Lands End also. You can return their items at Sears too.

My general understanding of Petite sized clothing is it's for 5'4 and under. It's not the size of the clothing, but the shortness of the person. The clothing tends to have shorter sleeve length and is a little shorter than regular clothing.

Land's End has a place on their site where you can input your measurements and "try on" clothes. If you're accurate with the info you enter, this can be quite helpful. I did this before ordering a bathing suit and it was scary how much it looked just like me.

I just looked on the site and I don't see how to access that feature anymore, but I do see that they give measurements for all the sizes. Click on any item and in the ordering section there is a link for the size chart. Here's the one for Women's tops -
Lands' End | Swimwear, Outerwear, Casual Clothing and more

I've loved Land's End for a long time. They have a great selection of 100% cotton sweaters. Sometimes I order from the catalog and then other times I go to a nearby Sears store so that I can try things on. I buy their shoes, too.

Go to walmart or a sewing shop and buy a cloth tape measure . They are usually in the sewing department . Then measure your self . You need to measure around your bust ,your waist and your hips and also the inseam of your pants . That is the measurement of the inside seam of your pants . Write all these measurements down and compare them to Land's End measurements . Just looking at your photo & your weight . I'd guess you are a 10 or a 12 . Land's End hems pants so you just put in the inseam and the pants will be perfect ( when you go to order the pants a chart will pop up with the inseams .if yours is not there you may need to buy a petite ).You probably do not need petite in shirts or sweaters . I highly recommend the Lands End turtlenecks , pants , shirts and sweaters . They usually have free shipping so if it is not advertised search on the Internet for Lands End coupons . I order all my pants from them and they are always great . I come from a family that has honed shopping into an art so if you need anymore help just PM me .

Moe's instructions are excellent but I'd be cautious about sizing. Sizes have gotten weirder and harder to predict, ever since the 1980's when "women's" and "petites" were broken out into separate categories. (That is when Size 16 became Size 12 without anybody losing any weight). Then there are all sorts of differences based on whether you are short-waisted, long-waisted, athletic build (i.e.: weigh more than people think you do), have a larger than average bustline, etc. etc.

To be certain, check the sizing charts for the company you are buying from, against your measurements.

Another tactic is to wait until 6 a.m. on the day after Christmas. The stores are practically giving clothes away, and the early-morning shoppers are raiding the electronics dept. so the clothes dept. is empty.

Good luck!

Amethyst

Back
Top Bottom