Join Early Retirement Today
Trying to spend money
Old 10-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Trying to spend money

This is getting ridiculous.

I really need to buy some clothes. I can't find info on what size I am.

I was looking at Land's End and went to the online discussions and have gotten several different definitions of 'petite' size.

Why is it so difficult to spend money?

Just because I'm female doesn't mean I have some otherworldly understanding of all this crap.

"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I like Lands End, too. Some Sears stores sell the brand. Call your nearest Sears to see if they are one of the stores that stock their clothing and maybe go try on some things. I have found some attractive items recently at Christopher & Banks at the mall, and they have a petite section in their stores. They sell good quality, easy care coordinating separates that are well priced I think. They are constantly getting in new stock, too, and seem to always have all sizes on hand.

WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
I recently bought some clothing at . They have a great return policy:

If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, you can return your order to the warehouse for a full refund. We believe that in order to have the best possible online shopping experience, our customers should not have to pay for domestic return shipping. So if for whatever reason you're not happy with your purchase, just go through our easy self-service return process (via My Account) to print out a free return label - your domestic shipping costs are prepaid.
(Self Service) Return Instructions
With Zappos Retail, Inc.'s 365 day return policy, there are no special catches or exceptions. All we ask is that you send the items back to us in the original packaging, and make sure that the merchandise is in the same condition.
So, if something doesn't fit then I could just send it back and they will even pay for the shipping.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
I like Lands End also. You can return their items at Sears too.
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
My general understanding of Petite sized clothing is it's for 5'4 and under. It's not the size of the clothing, but the shortness of the person. The clothing tends to have shorter sleeve length and is a little shorter than regular clothing.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Land's End has a place on their site where you can input your measurements and "try on" clothes. If you're accurate with the info you enter, this can be quite helpful. I did this before ordering a bathing suit and it was scary how much it looked just like me.

I just looked on the site and I don't see how to access that feature anymore, but I do see that they give measurements for all the sizes. Click on any item and in the ordering section there is a link for the size chart. Here's the one for Women's tops -
Lands' End | Swimwear, Outerwear, Casual Clothing and more

I've loved Land's End for a long time. They have a great selection of 100% cotton sweaters. Sometimes I order from the catalog and then other times I go to a nearby Sears store so that I can try things on. I buy their shoes, too.
Married, both 61. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Go to walmart or a sewing shop and buy a cloth tape measure . They are usually in the sewing department . Then measure your self . You need to measure around your bust ,your waist and your hips and also the inseam of your pants . That is the measurement of the inside seam of your pants . Write all these measurements down and compare them to Land's End measurements . Just looking at your photo & your weight . I'd guess you are a 10 or a 12 . Land's End hems pants so you just put in the inseam and the pants will be perfect ( when you go to order the pants a chart will pop up with the inseams .if yours is not there you may need to buy a petite ).You probably do not need petite in shirts or sweaters . I highly recommend the Lands End turtlenecks , pants , shirts and sweaters . They usually have free shipping so if it is not advertised search on the Internet for Lands End coupons . I order all my pants from them and they are always great . I come from a family that has honed shopping into an art so if you need anymore help just PM me .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Moe's instructions are excellent but I'd be cautious about sizing. Sizes have gotten weirder and harder to predict, ever since the 1980's when "women's" and "petites" were broken out into separate categories. (That is when Size 16 became Size 12 without anybody losing any weight). Then there are all sorts of differences based on whether you are short-waisted, long-waisted, athletic build (i.e.: weigh more than people think you do), have a larger than average bustline, etc. etc.

To be certain, check the sizing charts for the company you are buying from, against your measurements.

Another tactic is to wait until 6 a.m. on the day after Christmas. The stores are practically giving clothes away, and the early-morning shoppers are raiding the electronics dept. so the clothes dept. is empty.

Good luck!

If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote