Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I prefer to be in a single home too, but we are talking about delaying the inevitable for 1 more year, and even that requires some assistance that may not be available.

In case there is no help from family members, I understand that help from a visiting aide can be arranged, but that is no longer independent living. There are assisted living arrangements where one has her own apartment in a complex, with help standing by as needed.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

LandlordInvestor:

I went back to the archives and pulled out the photos of the remodel we did to our bath in 2011. Hope this gives you food for thought as what can be done after removing the giant bathtub.

Bathroom remodel - Early Retirement & Financial Independence ...<LI class=g>www.early-retirement.org › ... › Community ForumsOther topicsCached

Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #23
Administrator

If it were me, I would remodel my house to satisfy my desires now, and not worry about any possible effect on resale value. I do things to satisfy me and the young wife, not some hypothetical buyer down the road.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If it were me, I would remodel my house to satisfy my desires now, and not worry about any possible effect on resale value. I do things to satisfy me and the young wife, not some hypothetical buyer down the road.
+1. We removed a sunken tub and tripled the size of our shower in a fairly small master bath. The new shower had a rain head, 4 body sprays and a frameless shower door. When we sold, the house sold in 5 days to a single woman who bought because of the shower. For us, removing the tub was a positive, but it was because we made the shower over the top.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
+1. We removed a sunken tub and tripled the size of our shower in a fairly small master bath. The new shower had a rain head, 4 body sprays and a frameless shower door. When we sold, the house sold in 5 days to a single woman who bought because of the shower. For us, removing the tub was a positive, but it was because we made the shower over the top.
Could you post a picture of what something like this looks like? Either yours, or something similar?

Ha
Old 01-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Could you post a picture of what something like this looks like? Either yours, or something similar?

Ha
I'll see if I can find a pic of the finished shower. We sold the house in 2006 but we took pictures of the process as we built the shower. If I can't find one I'll look for something similar on the web.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
I'll see if I can find a pic of the finished shower. We sold the house in 2006 but we took pictures of the process as we built the shower. If I can't find one I'll look for something similar on the web.
Thanks.

Ha
Old 01-21-2013, 02:47 AM   #28

I think it is fair to say that master bathroom with the huge shower and no tub are becoming more common. That said, there are people who won't consider a house without one just as there are people who won't consider a house with no formal dining room. I've seen this discussed elsewhere and the usual comment I've seen is that not having a tub in the master may make it slower to sell rather than causing a reduction in vlue.

That said, if it was me and you were were planning to be in the house for at least several years I would remodel it to suit myself...

We ended buying a house last year but considered building a house and worked with a designer. The house we were designing had only a very large walk in shower. Coincidentally while we were working on plans, we looked at the modified plan that the builder actually built for his personal home. He had modified the standard plan (which had a separate tub and separate showed) to build only a large shower and no tub in the master.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

When we built our house, we did not want a tub for the exact reasons that LandlordInvestor listed. However with an eye towards the future, we plumbed the water into the wall as well as the drain in the floor. If a future buyer (or we decide we need one), it's easily installed. Only have to remove 1 cabinet.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #30

Our current master bathroom is Texas size, probably about 16x20, so it has a big jacuzzi and shower. When we down size, we just want a nice shower with a seat and no tub.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #31

Currently contemplating a complete master bath remodel. Started out with wanting to get rid of the aluminum framed shower, then thought of replacing the tile, and now want to get rid of the jacuzzi tub. Unfortunately the tub, as big as it is, sits in the windowed corner next to the shower. If we lose the tub, about all we will gain is floor and cabinet space. Can kick out the shower a foot or so, but not enough to make it walk in sans doors. Only resistance is DW who questions losing a jetted tub. To me it's an easy decision, especially since all the fixtures, including tub drain are brass (well, likely faux brass) need to change out to brushed stainless or nickel. It's mainly a "for us" project but in the end the update will pay for itself, with or without a tub. IMO.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

No tubs. I hate tubs.

Our main living area is small - 1100 square feet - so no huge master bath. We have a very nice large walk in shower with bench. The best use of the space, IMO.

I also had them do a glassed in shower with sliding door for the guest shower.

The way our houses are - we are in a section of houses with very similar design - the decisions on buying will be based more on availability of lots, and the deep, wider lots (like ours) are all bought!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

This topic seems to bring on an almost religious fervor! I am sure I'm in the minority, but I have had a jetted tub for the last 15 years or so and would hate to give it up as I use it virtually daily (as in, I can remember being in the shower but it was at least a month ago if not longer.) Our retirement condo has only a shower in the master, but a tub in the hall which we would like to replace with a standard-tube-sized jetted tub if we can get permission. In a house, I wouldn't buy with only a shower in the master; in Manhattan apartments, 2 baths period in our price range are hard to find.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I and DW are looking into building a house for retirement. Simple, cheap, energy efficient, easy to clean and maintain, and age-in-place friendly are what we hope for. DW has just been booted in a re-org, so the next few months will tell.

I stayed at one apartment that had a large tiled bathroom and open shower. I thought it was perfect. Two bathrooms is the main feature that makes a home into a livable happy home. Especially when I had a teen aged daughter.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

As often happens here, some are answering from the perspective of what's best for resale, and some are answering from the perspective of just doing what the owner wants without regard for resale. Of course they're not always one in the same. We're about to redo our kitchen with resale in mind, most definitely not what we'd like.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Well, I guess it depends on whether you are aiming for resale to younger couples who like the jet tub, or geezers who are thinking wheelchair-sized showers.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
haha, the Tacoma Home & Garden show will be at the Dome this coming weekend, and the Seattle Home Show is coming up in a month or so at the Exhibition Center. Probably some of the vendors at both will have photos etc. that you can check out, and with luck there might be a model house with a bath that you could actually walk through. Seems to me there have been such at previous shows.

I'm asking myself the tub vs shower question too. The house I've bought has a hall bath between the two bedrooms. I can't remember the last time I took a bath (vs shower). The tub surround needs to be replaced, and I'm wondering whether just to do a shower rather than the tub. It's a small bath, so walk-in with no doors would not appear to be an option. Decisions, decisions....
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We're about to redo our kitchen with resale in mind, most definitely not what we'd like.
Is it because you are certain you are moving soon? Otherwise, why live with something you don't like? To my mind, it would be like continuing to work at a job I don't enjoy once I'm financially independent. The whole idea was to get to the point where I don't need to care about the money.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is it because you are certain you are moving soon? Otherwise, why live with something you don't like? To my mind, it would be like continuing to work at a job I don't enjoy once I'm financially independent. The whole idea was to get to the point where I don't need to care about the money.
+1

Fortunately, when I sold my last house, I was able to sell a 20 year old house just fine without any interior remodeling. We didn't discount either - pretty much matched the comps in sale price.

Personally, I'm always skeptical whether remodeling or updating is worth it, UNLESS you are doing it for your own personal enjoyment. In the latter case - do it several years before selling so you can get max enjoyment.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for your comments!
Quote:
We're certain we're buying a new home, just not certain whether we'll relocate when we do. Guessing in about 1-3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Fortunately, when I sold my last house, I was able to sell a 20 year old house just fine without any interior remodeling. We didn't discount either - pretty much matched the comps in sale price.

Personally, I'm always skeptical whether remodeling or updating is worth it, UNLESS you are doing it for your own personal enjoyment. In the latter case - do it several years before selling so you can get max enjoyment.
Believe me I wish I was more certain that it would be money well spent, and how to far to go with updates Going part way could actually be a complete waste of time & money. It seems most realtors & designers we talk to (including some we know personally) tell us while you can indeed sometimes find buyers who'd rather have a home as-is at a big discount, most really don't want to bother with renovations (and don't have the imagination to visualize what could be) so the market is far better for turnkey homes. We realize we're not going to get what we put into it back, though we've already done the 2.5 baths and kitchens still seem to be higher paybacks than most home renovation projects.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote