Join Early Retirement Today

Uber Paid $100K Ransom and Hid 57-Million User Data Breach For Over a Year
Old 11-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Uber Paid $100K Ransom and Hid 57-Million User Data Breach For Over a Year

This really blew my mind! Wow!

So - Uber pays hackers $100K to supposedly delete stolen data (right!) and not tell anyone about it. Oh yeah - and forget letting their customers, drivers, or authorities know. What kind of mentality does that company have?!?!?

They tracked down the hackers and made them sign NDAs instead of turning them over to authorities?!?!?

Quote:
On Tuesday, Uber revealed in a statement from newly installed CEO Dara Khosrowshahi that hackers stole a trover of personal data from the company's network in October 2016, including the names and driver's license information of 600,000 drivers, and worse, the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of 57 million Uber users.

As bad as that data debacle sounds, Uber's response may end up doing the most damage to the company's relationship with users, and perhaps even exposed it to criminal charges against executives, according to those who have followed the company's ongoing FTC woes. According to Bloomberg, which originally broke the news of the breach, Uber paid a $100,000 ransom to its hackers to keep the breach quiet and delete the data they'd stolen. It then failed to disclose the attack to the public—potentially violating breach disclosure laws in many of the states where its users reside—and also kept the data theft secret from the FTC.
https://www.wired.com/story/uber-pai...r-data-breach/

Also
Quote:
The two hackers stole data about the company’s riders and drivers — including phone numbers, email addresses and names — from a third-party server and then approached Uber and demanded $100,000 to delete their copy of the data, the employees said.

Uber acquiesced to the demands, and then went further. The company tracked down the hackers and pushed them to sign nondisclosure agreements, according to the people familiar with the matter. To further conceal the damage, Uber executives also made it appear as if the payout had been part of a “bug bounty” — a common practice among technology companies in which they pay hackers to attack their software to test for soft spots.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/t...hack.html?_r=0

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Nowadays I assume that many of the companies that I have a relationship with have done the same thing. If one believes that their information is safe, then they are totally naive.

LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Everyone knows criminals will obey a NDA. After all it's legally binding
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Everyone knows criminals will obey a NDA. After all it's legally binding
Yeah - my reaction!
Old 11-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

According to Bloomberg, which originally broke the news of the breach, Uber paid a $100,000 ransom to its hackers to keep the breach quiet and delete the data they'd stolen. It then failed to disclose the attack to the public—potentially violating breach disclosure laws in many of the states where its users reside—and also kept the data theft secret from the FTC.

Nope, not *potentially*. Unless there are other contrary facts, this is a big "no no".

I suspect the regulatory fines, lawsuits, and lost customer is going to cost them uber bucks.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

California was one of the first states to enact a law requiring disclosure of data breaches. It's mind boggling that a tech company headquartered in the state doesn't know that, if only because everyone who works there has gotten letters from other companies who've had similar events. Did they all think those other companies were just notifying them to be nice?
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #7

I still sometimes wonder how they remain in business...I guess all the drunk college kids need to get around somehow. We used taxi's when I was doing damage.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I still sometimes wonder how they remain in business...I guess all the drunk college kids need to get around somehow. We used taxi's when I was doing damage.
Me too!

So who thinks the hackers actually deleted the data?
Old 11-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
...........They tracked down the hackers and made them sign NDAs instead of turning them over to authorities?!?!?
Wow, it seems like for half as much they could have just make the hackers "disappear".
Old 11-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Wow, it seems like for half as much they could have just make the hackers "disappear".
I know!!!

So bizarre!
Old 11-22-2017, 10:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Whose worse? The criminal hackers or the companies that keep it secret?
Old 11-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #12

Uber is well known as being one of the most ethically challenged 'tech' companies out there. Sexual harassment, intimidation, actively sabotaging competition and now this .. it's just par for the course.

What keeps surprising me is how they keep raising all that money while in essence it's still little more than a taxi app with a vague self-driving car promise. Guess I have a lack of imagination.

Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote