UCLA versus UT Austin or Texas A&M

Brat said:
Co-op experiance is critical whether or not he intends post-graduate work.

Agreed.

Telly said:
So this is for Fall 2007 entry, right? Did you and him sign up and take a tour of each campus last summer?

For a far-away out of state school, don't forget travel costs and hassle factor. May have the kid fly to/from for the holidays, but you'll be driving there and back with a truck, and maybe a trailer too!

Yes it's for Fall 2007. We have visited both UT and A&M, but not UCLA yet. I agree about the travel costs and hassle factor.

neeps said:
If this is for Fall 2007 (which I assume it is) it's highly unlikely your child will be able to get student housing. Consider, the rent differences for off-campus housing between College Station and Austin (especially close to the college) is signficant. Also, parking costs, traffic hassles.

We made the deposit for housing for UT and A&M a couple months ago. So it's not a problem. UCLA guaranteed housing availability in their acceptance letter.

kramer said:
I'm a software engineer with an MSEE in Silicon Valley. I am familiar with UT and UCLA but not A&M (even though one of my former managers went there). From an interviewing perspective, I wouldn't favor one over the other -- they are pretty equivalent in my eyes. Although I would research the programs, of course, before going.

From the dad perspective (UT vs. UCLA), it would be a no brainer for me -- UT. UT is in a great setting, too. I did work on the campus there for my job for a couple of weeks and have thought of moving to Austin ever since :D

If I were a student and they cost the same, I would definitely favor UT. UCLA is just an urban jungle and it costs a fortune, to boot! And he probably does not want to get a job in high cost of living California after graduation, at least if he wants to raise a family. Housing is three times the price of Texas and your net pay is reduced by 10% due to income taxes.

The people you go to school with form a long term network. If your son is going to live in Texas or the Midwest, the UT network will be more useful there.

Where you go to graduate school does matter more. Although even that does not matter much after a few years.

Kramer

Thanks sharing your experience.

bright eyed said:
also cost of living near ucla is quite high...that is on top of $25k tuition?

Yes, that is on top of the tuition. Total cost of attendance is $36K to 42K (sorority to residence hall).

Total cost of attendance for UT or A&M is $19K.

ok, a new yorkers perspective. i know that ut austin is a very good school. texas a&m doesn't sound as good to me. i know nothing about this really, but that is kind of the point. if your kid wants to leave texas ever ut austin has better cache value. ucla and ut austin aren't that different reputation wise to justify the extra costs but berkelley is.

newyorklady said:
ok, a new yorkers perspective. i know that ut austin is a very good school. texas a&m doesn't sound as good to me. i know nothing about this really, but that is kind of the point. if your kid wants to leave texas ever ut austin has better cache value. ucla and ut austin aren't that different reputation wise to justify the extra costs but berkelley is.

I'm an ex-New Yorker (born and raised there) and I can assure you that a Texas A&M degree is very valuable. There is tremendous support among former Aggies to help one another career-wise. My son was headed for UT and changed his mind at the last minute to attend A&M. He is very happy he did because of the support. If you lived in this part of the country, I think you would understand...

BarbaraAnne said:
I'm an ex-New Yorker (born and raised there) and I can assure you that a Texas A&M degree is very valuable. There is tremendous support among former Aggies to help one another career-wise. My son was headed for UT and changed his mind at the last minute to attend A&M. He is very happy he did because of the support. If you lived in this part of the country, I think you would understand...

I know someone else said much the same.... but I think both schools have the same support.... and I see more Texas EX stickers than A&M ones...

We had a large number of both that worked here... (4 UT and 3 A&M our of 20)... but now only one of each...

I live in California and actually teach at a major state university.

UC Berkley is outstanding. If my child were accepted there, I'd probably send him if I were you.

UCLA is good but not good enough to merit the out-of-state tuition. I'd send my kid to A&M or Texas. Being a Texas-ex, I'd probably choose UT, but either school is great. (My brother and brother-in-law went to A&M.)

Whatever the major, a school program that has internships and strong relationships with alumni is a good choice.

OK... read something in Reader's Digest about college.. and saving money... they say use the state schools... that the CEOs of the top companies come from MANY Universities.... that only 10% come from IVY schools...

They point is that if the person is good, it does not matter that much which school they went, they will succeed in life...

When do Financial Packages arrive from public universities?

We have received 2 financial packages from private colleges, but nothing yet from public ones.

When do public universities send the packages? Should we call/email to ask for them?

I had my finanical aid award from A&M in December (following fall enrollment). I did ask for it though. I didn't receive the "package" until March/April I think. This would have been 12 years ago. I say it wouldn't hurt to give them a call. They may have made the determination already, but not mailed the paperwork.

Public school in Texas. Period. It makes no sense to spend an additional 16K X 4 64,000 + other expenses to go to college. If he decides to get a masters or Phd after then he goes and gets PAID to get the degree at the Private School.

Examples...

Son accepted to Cornell , and Rutgers. Cornell said we could afford 24K a year. I said son looks like Rutgers is your choice. He was not very happy at the time of making the decision, however he did wonderful at Rutgers and then go accepted to a PHD program at Columbia and was Paid for 5 years @22K per year and Tuition was paid for him to get his PHD.

SO...

Zero undergraduate debt, and Zero PHD debt, heck they even subsidized his living expenses during the 5 years in NYC!!

Think outside of the box people!!

newguy888 said:
Examples...

Son accepted to Cornell , and Rutgers. Cornell said we could afford 24K a year. I said son looks like Rutgers is your choice. He was not very happy at the time of making the decision, however he did wonderful at Rutgers and then go accepted to a PHD program at Columbia and was Paid for 5 years @22K per year and Tuition was paid for him to get his PHD.

SO...

Zero undergraduate debt, and Zero PHD debt, heck they even subsidized his living expenses during the 5 years in NYC!!

Think outside of the box people!!

Newguy888, you were an educator, right?

24K annual difference between Cornell and Rutgers is significant enough to favor Rutgers. In your personal professional opinion, how much should the annual cost difference be for you to recommend/send your son to Cornell instead of Rutgers? 20K, 15K, 10K, or 5K?

We lets see:

UT- 4 seed
UCLA- 2 seed
A&M- 3 seed

According to the NCAA selection committee, UCLA is the best choice.

rjpatt,

Do you have a link? I have never seen that data before. UT (Austin) is 2 level below UCLA, and 1 below A&M?

Edit: Never mind, I just noticed "NCAA". Good joke.

Sam said:
Newguy888, you were an educator, right?

24K annual difference between Cornell and Rutgers is significant enough to favor Rutgers. In your personal professional opinion, how much should the annual cost difference be for you to recommend/send your son to Cornell instead of Rutgers? 20K, 15K, 10K, or 5K?

Sam

I seriously have a major issue with the Ivy league. You are either rich or poor the middle class kid gets some help. In my opinion you should never go into debt for undergraduate school. If that means only the rich go to the private schools so be it. Remember what I said before if you want any degree from that type of place, make it a graduate degree when they PAY YOU as a TA and pay your tuition.

The difference in education from Rutgers to Cornell is financially a non starter.

Tuition at RU was 11K they at cornell wanted over 24 from us. I was able to pay as we went for him at rutgers, plus he worked his arse off in summer and when off. He helped pay.

newguy888 said:
I seriously have a major issue with the Ivy league.

So, what is your major issue with the Ivy League? It sounds like money, is it?

By Ivy League, do you literally mean just the 8 schools in the northeast, or all schools that are academically world renowned including MIT, Stanford, CalTech, etc...

If your son didn't "work his arse off in the summer and when off", wouldn't he be in debt too for his bachelor degree?

Was your son an out-of-state student? He was at Rutgers at least 5 years ago. Today's in-state tuition is less than 10K.

Sam said:
The question my son and I are wrestling with is: Is UCLA worth the extra $16,500 a year? My son knows that if he chooses UCLA, he will have to take a loan to help out, as the cost exceeds my allocated fund.

If your choices are UT or TAMU, it makes no sense to pay more somewhere else to get an EE degree. I didn't ready anymore than the first three posts so I don't know what else there is to consider if "education" and "future career" are the issues.

Both the Texas schools are top tier. They are recuited by every major company that hires EEs. Visit the campuses and let him decide. It doesn't matter. Don't overwork the problem.

I agree. I have done my homework. According to USNews and NRC for EE, it's UT Austin, UCLA, and then A&M, in that order.

If he gets into Berkeley, definitely send him there... no brainer... otherwise, stay in Texas.

I would encourage an undergrad to go into some debt to attend a school like Cornell, depending on the field they want to enter... for many fields the opportunities from Cornell and other top schools are 10x what they are from solid middle tier schools... having been working for awhile now I can see that a personal network can work wonders, and attending top schools is the best way to build that network.

rjpatt said:
We lets see:

UT- 4 seed
UCLA- 2 seed
A&M- 3 seed

According to the NCAA selection committee, UCLA is the best choice.

yes, but that is fleeting - UCLA won national championship my frosh year, then after that has been nothing till this recent turn of events... :D

Sam said:
I agree. I have done my homework. According to USNews and NRC for EE, it's UT Austin, UCLA, and then A&M, in that order.

Your son will never recoup his or your extra money it takes to go out of state when his alternatives are UT or TAMU. Now if you like to puff your chest out at cocktail parties about your son going to wherever, send him to MIT. There you'll drop 50K per year. He won't do any better in 5 years money/career wise than if he went to UT. But, everyone will be impressed.

2B said:
Your son will never recoup his or your extra money it takes to go out of state when his alternatives are UT or TAMU. Now if you like to puff your chest out at cocktail parties about your son going to wherever, send him to MIT. There you'll drop 50K per year. He won't do any better in 5 years money/career wise than if he went to UT. But, everyone will be impressed.

If you are still talking about UCLA vs UT Austin, then I'm in agreement with you.

MIT vs UT Austin is a totally different story, and it has nothing to do with chest puffing either. At least chest puffing and impressing others do not apply to me.

My son is still involved with the AIAA DBF compititions every year.
http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/aiaadbf/
He was a team leader and pilot for A&M while in school. Now he is a judge and "rent a pilot" for the teams without experienced flyers. I attend these almost every year and have noticed some unexpected things.
The schools you would expect to be at the top every year never are. MIT has a great system, but their team has never been competitive. The military schools send a bunch of sharp looking kids, but I don't remember seeing them make a successful flight.
It's the teams from "ordanary" schools that usually take the top places. From memory....the teams that usually provide the compitition (not necessarily the winner) are Utah, UCLA, USC, VT, Columbia, UT, A&M, OSU, Florida......I'm sure I've forgotten some.
I guess the point is....The schools with the reputations of being top tier aren't the ones winning these contests. In fact, they haven't come close.
Here are some pics of the planes if you're interested. My son is in the A&M pic. Far right.
http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/aiaadbf/97plane1.html

Edit to add: Many ofthese teams include some EE majors.

Thank you Poundkey for sharing the competition results. I see your point.

Back
Top Bottom