Join Early Retirement Today

Underwater photographs
Old 03-09-2015, 06:44 AM   #1

Underwater photographs

A collection of underwater photographs, courtesy of The Guardian newspaper.

Underwater Photographer of the Year 2015 winners – in pictures | Environment | The Guardian

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Underwater Gunshot

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #3

Great photos! Thanks for posting
Old 03-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks. I would think that this would be a way to get a broken wrist or lung contusion depending on how much of you was actually in the water while firing the gun. Physics is a wonderful thing.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Thanks. I would think that this would be a way to get a broken wrist or lung contusion depending on how much of you was actually in the water while firing the gun. Physics is a wonderful thing.
There's that, but they say it was a .22 so probably not. The thing I'd be concerned about is the barrel failing and shrapnel being imbedded in me.

Those guns are designed to be fired with air in the barrel, not water, which is much more dense.

A while back I bought a book titled "Underwater Dogs" filled with shots of dogs underwater chasing things like tennis balls. From the perspective of the tennis ball they look pretty ferocious.

Here's a link to some of those photos: underwater dogs - Bing Images
Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Great pictures, some of those took amazing skill (and luck) to take. I used to do a lot of underwater photography. Surprisingly it is harder than on land
Old 03-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #7

I took this with a small Fuji XP70 camera on a recent cruise.

http://1drv.ms/1E1VrWW
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
There's that, but they say it was a .22 so probably not. The thing I'd be concerned about is the barrel failing and shrapnel being imbedded in me.

Those guns are designed to be fired with air in the barrel, not water, which is much more dense.

A while back I bought a book titled "Underwater Dogs" filled with shots of dogs underwater chasing things like tennis balls. From the perspective of the tennis ball they look pretty ferocious.

Here's a link to some of those photos: underwater dogs - Bing Images
Yes for sure. I didn't read the whole thing but definitely good that it was a 22 and nothing with a larger cartridge. True on the barrel or chamber - I wouldn't want to try it a second time. The density of the water is the problem with the recoil and shock wave. Also the water vaporizing in the chamber and barrel would make failure much more likely.

Have people seen the pictures of the babies underwater? Those are pretty amazing too. I thought they were in Life but I can't find them.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Also interesting how short the range was due to resistance.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes for sure. I didn't read the whole thing but definitely good that it was a 22 and nothing with a larger cartridge.
Uh, a Glock 22 fires a .40 S&W cartridge. Hotter than a 9mm and not quite as powerful as a .45 ACP. (IIRC the .40 S&W is one of the more popular cartridges for LEOs.) Glocks are known for (more or less) safely firing under water. I admit it would seem a foolhardy thing to do (especially just to try it.) However, if you found yourself in a pool with a "bad" guy and you had a firearm (of any kind) it might be worth a shot (heh, heh.) YMMV of course.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Uh, a Glock 22 fires a .40 S&W cartridge.
For those who may be confused, the "Glock 22" reference is to the model number of the pistol, not the caliber.
Glock 22 | G22 | .40 Caliber Pistol | GLOCK USA
Old 03-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

While living in the keys an acquaintance managed to blow an ear drum by deploying a 12 gauge shark bang stick at depth.

Hmm it has been awhile, I might be able to enjoy Longusta again which is way too rich for every day fare.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #13

Ah thanks. I went with Walt34's description of it as a 22. I watched the video but didn't read the description. Much more of a kick.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Uh, a Glock 22 fires a .40 S&W cartridge.
Oops, quite correct, the 22 refers to the model # and not the caliber.

Still, unless the manufacturer says it's safe to fire underwater that is not something I'd try. I did for a while have a Beretta 9mm that they said could be fired underwater but I never tried it.