Underwater photographs

Thanks. I would think that this would be a way to get a broken wrist or lung contusion depending on how much of you was actually in the water while firing the gun. Physics is a wonderful thing.

Thanks. I would think that this would be a way to get a broken wrist or lung contusion depending on how much of you was actually in the water while firing the gun. Physics is a wonderful thing.

There's that, but they say it was a .22 so probably not. The thing I'd be concerned about is the barrel failing and shrapnel being imbedded in me.

Those guns are designed to be fired with air in the barrel, not water, which is much more dense.

A while back I bought a book titled "Underwater Dogs" filled with shots of dogs underwater chasing things like tennis balls. From the perspective of the tennis ball they look pretty ferocious.

Here's a link to some of those photos: underwater dogs - Bing Images

Great pictures, some of those took amazing skill (and luck) to take. I used to do a lot of underwater photography. Surprisingly it is harder than on land :D

There's that, but they say it was a .22 so probably not. The thing I'd be concerned about is the barrel failing and shrapnel being imbedded in me.

Those guns are designed to be fired with air in the barrel, not water, which is much more dense.

A while back I bought a book titled "Underwater Dogs" filled with shots of dogs underwater chasing things like tennis balls. From the perspective of the tennis ball they look pretty ferocious.

Here's a link to some of those photos: underwater dogs - Bing Images

Yes for sure. I didn't read the whole thing but definitely good that it was a 22 and nothing with a larger cartridge. True on the barrel or chamber - I wouldn't want to try it a second time. The density of the water is the problem with the recoil and shock wave. Also the water vaporizing in the chamber and barrel would make failure much more likely.

Have people seen the pictures of the babies underwater? Those are pretty amazing too. I thought they were in Life but I can't find them.

Last edited:
Yes for sure. I didn't read the whole thing but definitely good that it was a 22 and nothing with a larger cartridge.

Uh, a Glock 22 fires a .40 S&W cartridge. Hotter than a 9mm and not quite as powerful as a .45 ACP. (IIRC the .40 S&W is one of the more popular cartridges for LEOs.) Glocks are known for (more or less) safely firing under water. I admit it would seem a foolhardy thing to do (especially just to try it.) However, if you found yourself in a pool with a "bad" guy and you had a firearm (of any kind) it might be worth a shot (heh, heh.) YMMV of course.

While living in the keys an acquaintance managed to blow an ear drum by deploying a 12 gauge shark bang stick at depth.

Hmm it has been awhile, I might be able to enjoy Longusta again which is way too rich for every day fare.

Last edited:
Ah thanks. I went with Walt34's description of it as a 22. I watched the video but didn't read the description. Much more of a kick.

Uh, a Glock 22 fires a .40 S&W cartridge.

Oops, quite correct, the 22 refers to the model # and not the caliber.

Still, unless the manufacturer says it's safe to fire underwater that is not something I'd try. I did for a while have a Beretta 9mm that they said could be fired underwater but I never tried it.

Back
Top Bottom