Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re-reading the OP, you just might be better off not renting it for a year, rather than exposing yourself to the potential problems of renters like this.

Now I'm really curious, can you share any details on this miraculous new carpet product, or post the enclosure or a link to it? I have lots of carpet, I could use a miracle! (cross posted with HH)

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
Administrator

Sounds fishy to me. Do they smoke? If yes, I'd reject them for that.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's an interesting post on a landlord's site:

Tenant Reveals How to Scam Landlords

One of the commenters had a good tip on avoiding a "buddy" reference when checking the landlord references:

Quote:
As a property owner, there is a simple way to catch them with some of this. Always ask for the 2 previous landlords, and when calling one or both, when they answer say “I’m calling about the place you have for rent. If they say anything like “what? I don’t rent apartments, you must have the wrong number” then it’s a scam. Also, it’s better to ask the older (not current) landlord for a reference because the current one may say ANYTHING just to get rid of them fast!
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree with what others are saying -- reject them, using whatever pretext you need to. Their letter has a bunch of red flags, and any relationship that starts with having to consult a lawyer is not off to a good start. Then, once you get into a landlord-tenant relationship with them, you are really screwed. If they mess your place up or fail to pay, they can use the disability as legal leverage against you, threaten to sue for discrimination and God knows what else.

Plus, you've got your own queasy stomach, telling you that this is not right. Reject 'em. You'll be dodging a bullet.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #25

Amethyst, check this out.

The letter offering to pay extra is part of the scam. If you accept their offer to pay more, you're hooked even worse:
413.08 | Florida Landlord-Tenant Law

Quote:
[In Florida] Any “individual with a disability” person who has a guide dog (“service animal” ) is entitled to full and equal access to any rental property (except the rental of a single room in a single family home) without having to pay anything extra for the dog. Even customary pet deposits may not be collected.
Here's the referenced statute:

Quote:
(b) An individual with a disability who has a service animal or who obtains a service animal is entitled to full and equal access to all housing accommodations provided for in this section, and such a person may not be required to pay extra compensation for the service animal. However, such a person is liable for any damage done to the premises or to another person on the premises by such an animal. A housing accommodation may request proof of compliance with vaccination requirements.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #26

Like others I'd reject it based on the credit score. Then I'd take it off the rental market for a while. You don't need to explain why. You own the unit.

Or you could say you have decided not to rent but sell. Then try to sell it now. I know you didn't want to do that for a year but it may be worth it not to get involved with this guy.

I didn't know that "no dogs allowed" did not include service dogs. Maybe I should try that one next time I want a week at the beach and want to take my dog. (kidding of course).
Old 08-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I loath the service animal scam. You are lucky that the credit score gives you a simple and direct way out. Use it. The management company is (rightly) concerned about covering their own azz first and foremost. Unfortunate, but that is a common thing with people - they protect themselves first - which is one of the reasons rental managers have never appealed to me - their self interest is ahead of mine. If you ever do end up renting to a qualified tenant with a service animal do charge every penny you can as a refundable deposit. Don't get me started on how i feel about "companion service animals" that some doctor has been talked into giving a note authorizing so the patient is less anxious - been the butt of that scam too often and it impacts how truly disabled people with seeing eye dogs or animals that provide an actual service are served by landlords. Reality: one tenant gets a note for a service companion animal cat or two and the next thing you know three other tenants develop anxiety and need cats and dogs.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #28

Protect your investment.

Say no. Your rental agent just wants to rent the place...after that it is your issue. If the credit score is low....why bother.

My guess is that your gut is saying NO. Go with your gut.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Situation smells to high heavens. Get away from that lessee while you can.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

If the OP rejects the tenant (which is what I would do), why on earth would he give a reason? I doubt very much that he has any obligation to provide any explanation at all. I wouldn't give an explanation as it could be used against you.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
If the OP rejects the tenant (which is what I would do), why on earth would he give a reason? I doubt very much that he has any obligation to provide any explanation at all. I wouldn't give an explanation as it could be used against you.
It is perfectly legal to refuse to rent to someone based on their poor credit. It would be prudent, IMO, to refuse to rent and state this as the reason, in case the applicant were thinking of trying to claim they were refused for some other reason (such as perceived discrimination against their "service" animal.)

If you do this, I think it's important to be as even-handed as possible, and treat all applicants the same. In other words, if you have rented to anyone with equally poor credit in the past and this comes to light, that might make your position less strong. Having said that, if you refuse to rent to him and clearly state that the reason is his poor credit, he'll probably just go away and stay away.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Boy, it sure sounds like landlording is the cat's pajamas!

Good luck, Amethyst, and when you get out of this just keep going until it is sold.

Ha
Old 08-31-2013, 05:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
That letter from the applicant sounds like a scam letter. This from a retired investigator.
+1 from another one. Lots of red flags the others have already articulated, no need to repeat them.

Scam, scam scam.

Run, run run.

The low credit score give you ample reason to reject without even mentioning the dog.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
All good posts to help solve the problem. I agree as there is just too much information and detail provided in advance of the lease. Also remember, once they are in you will play hell getting them out. Sounds like trouble to me also. Just find a regular tenant, whatever that is.
+1

I saw my dad go through hell trying to get rid of tenants who had rented under what turned out to be false pretenses. Do what others have said and simply reject based on the credit score, don't say ANYTHING else.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

A few people are criticizing the agent, but it seems to me that they did everything they could to raise a red flag about it while protecting themselves against a discrimination lawsuit. They are basically telling the OP to reject it, but to be careful and not do anything to bring a lawsuit. I bet if you called them, off the record they would give more advice, but not in writing. I'm sure they've seen stuff like this before. If they just wanted to rent it, they'd be saying "Here's your one and only applicant, here's a letter from them, here's what you and them need to fill out/sign to get this done."
Old 08-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Boy, it sure sounds like landlording is the cat's pajamas!

Ha
Ain't that the truth. I have a house I'm close to having ready to sell or rent, but I think I'm going to just list it for as long as it takes to sell. I'm not cut out for landlording headaches.

Good luck Amethyst. I would say no as others have recommended.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you would be good just telling them no, and if you MUST give a reason, use the credit score...

It may feel prickly for the 5 minutes you are telling them ( or the agent) but something tells me these types will just move on to the next landlord, without skipping a beat.

They may already have multiple applications out there already.

IT's just SO hard to trust anyone these days, isnt it.....Please let us know how this works out.....

Good luck......
Old 08-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I'm not qualified in any way to give legal advise, but, yeah, this situation reeks to high heaven...

Best of luck!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #39

Without all the details why, DS had a contractor doing some stuff on his house about 2 hours away from me, and we were considering letting him rent it with arrangement to get "credits" for doing some modest improvements. Over the period of a few days red flags started going off left and right. Realizing he had keys and was preparing to move in despite not completing requisite paperwork, I finally called a locksmith and rushed to meet him there. Never have I felt having dodged a bullet so closely. I'm not cut out for land lording, DS has an agent handling it (he's an expat so can't do himself); hope it works out. As for the service dog issue, agree with all; reject on basis of credit report. Even without SD it would be reason to walk away.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Looks like it would be really hard to fake a service dog.

Service Dog Vest | eBay

Tags
condo, florida, rental, tenants, uneasy