Upgrade to laptop

Another thought, not sure how old the grandson is - but if the laptop has good support under Linux, you could try that. Linux generally runs much better on older hardware than Windows.

-ERD50

A couple of people have mentioned Linux. I tried that first. Problem is that his favorite game (Roblox?) doesn't work. I searched for a work around, but the Roblox knowledge base seemed to indicate that it couldn't really be done. So, I loaded up a clean version of Win 10 and it's working well. Now I have the bug to tinker more and hopefully teach him something in the process. He has started asking questions, which is good. I don't think he really understands the basic operation of the machine. I asked him were he saved his files, and he didn't know (of course I found the few that were there).

Agree with the points on figuring out what's needed ram or ssd or both, but for $67, it didn't seem worth the trouble to figure it out. Hoping to slam in both and have grandson think I'm great :D

Got the components today and put them in. Machine runs much better. I put the ram in first. Doubling the ram from 4 to 8 did not make a noticeable difference. It may have made a slight improvement, but nothing I could discern. The SSD cloned and went in just fine. That improved the boot up and loading of programs like Chrome. Grandson was giving me some crap after the ram, but when he saw the boot up, he had a smile on his face. Fun project. I’m getting good at this and had fun, grandson learned a few things and has a faster computer. That’s enough for one day. Back to being retired. :)

Back
Top Bottom