US Open, Chambers Bay

All in all a pretty exciting finish. I also feel for DJ, that's gotta hurt, blowing an eagle putt for the win and then missing the putt coming back for the tie. Congrats to Jordan.

Nobody can certainly route against Jordan, but the upcoming Open Championship is the only major a geezer has a chance to win. Always nice to see a name like Norman, Watson, or Clarke up there competing as has been in recent past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was there on Sat. Very challenging course to watch golf. We ended up camping on 11 and watching a lot of bogeys.

My friend and I went down there about a year ago. I played very little golf in my life, but did a lot of caddying in my junior high and high school days. I thought that this was perhaps the ugliest golf course ever designed, Friend had a walking problem but I walked much of the course. It would be a great place to use a walking or jogging program for fitness.

Ha

There's not a number high enough to reflect the score I'd make on that course...

I don't normally watch golf but I wanted to watch this since it was basically in my back yard AND the caddy (Michael Greller) for Jordan Spieth was my daughters 5th grade teacher. I think he is making a little more as a caddy than a teacher--but he is a damn good teacher too!

I was with my wife at a sports bar and it was interesting to see that last shot get an audible gasp from the bar---never would have guessed that for a golf game.

There's not a number high enough to reflect the score I'd make on that course...

After walking the course, I'd probably fire a 110 from the tips, with a caddie.

The bitching has begun and I think it is legit.
Golfers Pile On The Hate For U.S. Open Greens

talked to a chambers bay caddie on sat, who purported to have 2000 loops out there under his belt- he said the course was in the worst shape it's ever been since he started there

they stopped watering and it didn't rain for 9 days - course was parched and the greens died, well except for the poe

course is just flat out brutal and very penal - you miss a shot by half a yard you could roll 50 yards into the fescue

The bitching has begun and I think it is legit.
Golfers Pile On The Hate For U.S. Open Greens

I remember Palmer bitching about US Open greens 40 years ago. One thing to remember is that all the pros in the Open are playing the same greens. They also bitch about the greens at Augusta from time to time.

The Open is a tourney that is notoriously hard since the courses chosen are either pretty hard or they get "tricked up" a few weeks before the event. Pin placement is also known to be in the hardest places and vairies from day to day.

I played Pebble Beach in late May one year that was to be the Open that year and course management was letting the rough get very tall and mowing the fairways down to be only 24 (?) yards wide.

More courses need to go "all in" on sustainable grasses. The mixture on the greens was the real issue.

But as for the players, really, this is nothing new. John Daly lost his mind in 1999. Recall: Daly snaps at USGA over Pinehurst's conditions

I've had it with the USGA and the way they run their tournaments. The USGA loves to embarrass guys who play in their tournaments. - John Daly, 1999

More courses need to go "all in" on sustainable grasses. The mixture on the greens was the real issue.

But as for the players, really, this is nothing new. John Daly lost his mind in 1999. Recall: Daly snaps at USGA over Pinehurst's conditions

But Daly was complaining about the pin placements not the condition of the greens. I saw a putt from Brandt Snedeker yesterday that hit something on the green as it was rolling towards the cup and popped straight up in the air about 10 feet from the hole. It looked like some of those guys were trying to putt on a gravel driveway.

It was actually painful watching just trying to figure out if the ball was actually on the green!

Mike

I have never played golf, but i enjoy watching it. I thought this tournament was fun to watch, partly because it was unpredictable. If some unknown, lucky upstart player had won, I might credit the players' concerns about the greens affecting quality of play and rewarding "the lucky." But, the guy who just won the Masters prevailed, so, clearly, the exceptionally good players know how to rise above even the worst of conditions. And the others can whinge on social media.

Last edited:
I have never played golf, but i enjoy watching it. I thought this tournament was fun to watch, partly because it was unpredictable. If some unknown, lucky upstart player had won, I might credit the players' concerns about the greens affecting quality of play and rewarding "the lucky." But, the guy who just won the Masters prevailed, so, clearly, the exceptionally good players know how to rise above even the worst of conditions. And the others can whinge on social media.

If that was not the US Open, a third of the field would have withdrawn!

Mike

That probably is a reasonable goal since water can be expensive. Or just move all the majors to MO. We always have plenty of water and lakes to keep the whole course green. Some of the complaints were that the greens and pin placements were too Mickey Mouse Putt Putt. Bubba Watson had a video on USA Today a few days ago showing one green contour. He placed a ball down for camera about 25 feet from hole. He literally putted it with his back facing the hole and it ran a near circle before dropping into the cup.

Ian Poulter posted a tweet apologizing to the people that spent their hard earned money to buy tickets to the tournament!

Mike

yeah it wasn't cheap but I got it scratched off the bucket list

plus the Astros beat the mariners yesterday too - got to see that live

That probably is a reasonable goal since water can be expensive. Or just move all the majors to MO. We always have plenty of water and lakes to keep the whole course green. Some of the complaints were that the greens and pin placements were too Mickey Mouse Putt Putt. Bubba Watson had a video on USA Today a few days ago showing one green contour. He placed a ball down for camera about 25 feet from hole. He literally putted it with his back facing the hole and it ran a near circle before dropping into the cup.

So it is a combination of stuff that got the players hot. The USGA *always* ticks off players. Always. And yes I saw a few of those "funnel" greens. A few approach shots did some pretty crazy stuff once they hit the "plaids".

Plaids is what they were, not greens. And I won't disagree that there is no place for such uneven putting surfaces on a major tournament.

But golf does have to wake up. I applaud the USGA for trying to showcase a course that turned an old strip mine into something else. But the course has work to do. Why not go all in on sustainable greens?

Pinehurst used to have sand greens, until the mid 30s. Might we see something like that again? Or maybe something (gasp) artificial? Or will that be too predictable? Probably.

So it is a combination of stuff that got the players hot. The USGA *always* ticks off players. Always. And yes I saw a few of those "funnel" greens. A few approach shots did some pretty crazy stuff once they hit the "plaids".

Plaids is what they were, not greens. And I won't disagree that there is no place for such uneven putting surfaces on a major tournament.

But golf does have to wake up. I applaud the USGA for trying to showcase a course that turned an old strip mine into something else. But the course has work to do. Why not go all in on sustainable greens?

Pinehurst used to have sand greens, until the mid 30s. Might we see something like that again? Or maybe something (gasp) artificial? Or will that be too predictable? Probably.

Please no sand greens! I have actually had to play them before. If they could get the cushioning underneath it right, mom and pop small town courses could probably benefit from artificial. I remember about 15 years ago playing on a small course adjoined to an apartment complex. It just couldn't hold any shots to the green.
Trevino said although he didn't like the setup of course from his tv only vantage point, it doesn't really matter. A year from now, all most will remember who the winner was. He said it was that way last year at Number 2 that was redone and many were not fans about it. All is forgotten and now just mad at this course.

In the thread about the players complaining there is a picture of one of the greens. It looks like what would be considered a temporary green on a course where the regular green is under repair. The USGA should quit trying to defend what is simply indefensible and say they screwed up. Anyone who plays the game and watched it on TV could see how goofy the greens were. Yes, they all had to play the same shitty course, so that makes it better, I don't think so.

I like the natural greens, eco-friendly and no mowing required. They all played the same course, good or bad condition. Think there's a lot of whingeing going on.

What did you guys think about Fox's TV coverage? I did like the shot tracer they used on most driving holes. Not impressed at all with Joe Buck as the host commentator. I did like Faxon, Pavin, and Flesh. Not so sure about Norman, he does offer some good insight as long as it's golf related (and not medical), but he was too much of a cheerleader for his hometown boy Jason Day. And the early round coverage on Sunday where they covered every walking step Day took was ridiculous.

Last edited:
It was the US Open... everybody would show up to play even if they held it in a Walmart parking lot....

My biggest complaints are like most...

Could not tell where any greens were located...

Could not easily see the ball on TV... many times I was watching and looking so see where the ball was rolling... it sometimes took me awhile or they finally zoomed in and I could see...

That a good shot could be punished so much.... I saw a drive on a par three... the ball hit maybe 20 feet behind the hole... then proceeded to roll what looked like 30 yards back toward the hitter.... not forward like you might think... I think it was Day who was putting along a ridge... he did not quite get to the slope side he needed... left a 30 foot put.... it looked like if he had made it a bit more to the right he had a chance of it going in... or at least close to the hole...

And then the putt that literally bounced up at least 6 inches.... they never did give a good explanation on that one...

I watched it a bit on Sat and a bit on Sun... but thought it was not good golf and watched something else...

Back
Top Bottom