US Open, Chambers Bay

What did you guys think about Fox's TV coverage? I did like the shot tracer they used on most driving holes. Not impressed at all with Joe Buck as the host commentator. I did like Faxon, Pavin, and Flesh. Not so sure about Norman, he does offer some good insight as long as it's golf related (and not medical), but he was too much of a cheerleader for his hometown boy Jason Day. And the early round coverage on Sunday where they covered every walking step Day took was ridiculous.

I liked the coverage and kind of a nice change from the hush, hush commentary of the Masters. I even thought Joe Buck did a decent job. I got tired of hearing Norman defend the USGA but other than that liked the color commentary between he and Faxon. As far as pulling for Jason Day, I think just about everyone was after the second and third round, even during the fourth round you didn't know if he was going to make it.

I liked the coverage and kind of a nice change from the hush, hush commentary of the Masters. I even thought Joe Buck did a decent job. I got tired of hearing Norman defend the USGA but other than that liked the color commentary between he and Faxon. As far as pulling for Jason Day, I think just about everyone was after the second and third round, even during the fourth round you didn't know if he was going to make it.

+1 On Jason Day.
The guy had vertigo! How he even played is mystery to me.

I was a bit disappointed in Normans analysis of DJ's choke. He personally had a lifetime of it and just plain bad luck. Surely there was incite available!
The crew prepped hard for the coverage I know, but the worst to me was the 1 on 1 interviews after the round. The dude Saturday looked uncomfortable doing it and the bimbo Sunday added nothing except a little visual distraction. If you need a woman get a real one and have a seasoned pro like Annika or Nancy.
Personally I think know matter the setup of a course, a US Open should have pure rollable putts no matter what the contour of the greens are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What did you guys think about Fox's TV coverage? I did like the shot tracer they used on most driving holes. Not impressed at all with Joe Buck as the host commentator. I did like Faxon, Pavin, and Flesh. Not so sure about Norman, he does offer some good insight as long as it's golf related (and not medical), but he was too much of a cheerleader for his hometown boy Jason Day. And the early round coverage on Sunday where they covered every walking step Day took was ridiculous.

I thought it was horrible. And I am a big Johnny Miller fan, so that was disappointing not to hear him.

Well, her and the ball tracer. There's some meat on that bone somewhere. :facepalm::LOL:

Well said, Frayne. I was thinking along those lines but didn't have the response in me that you had.

I thought it was horrible. And I am a big Johnny Miller fan, so that was disappointing not to hear him.

I thought the best part of the coverage was NOT having to listen to Johnny Miller. Not that Greg Norman was much better.

I actually liked the Fox coverage, especially the more frequent use of the ball tracer and some of the graphics on yardage. I thought Joe Buck was solid, but prefer Jim Nance.

I think a Joe Buck and Johnny Miller combo would be excellent. Nantz is fine but is just over the top at the Masters. I swear the offering plate is going to come by my couch as he is talking.

I thought the best part of the coverage was NOT having to listen to Johnny Miller. Not that Greg Norman was much better.

I actually liked the Fox coverage, especially the more frequent use of the ball tracer and some of the graphics on yardage. I thought Joe Buck was solid, but prefer Jim Nance.

I met Johnny last year at Father Son PNC tournament, and he was very nice, and very easy to talk to. I can understand that he rubs some people the wrong way, though. When I talked to his wife about this topic, she laughed about that a lot.

I did like the ball tracer and yardage, though. Good point. So maybe, "horrible" is a little extreme. Maybe C+ overall, if I am Michael Collins. :)

I met Johnny last year at Father Son PNC tournament, and he was very nice, and very easy to talk to. I can understand that he rubs some people the wrong way, though. When I talked to his wife about this topic, she laughed about that a lot.

I did like the ball tracer and yardage, though. Good point. So maybe, "horrible" is a little extreme. Maybe C+ overall, if I am Michael Collins. :)

I still think his 1994 ATT win at Pebble Beach was the craziest thing ever in golf. He quit playing more or less years ago and just showed up and won. Sometimes practice just isnt worth it.

+1. It was the best US Open television coverage in years just because he wasn't there. Although my joy was short lived as I read that NBC stole the British Open rights from ABC/ESPN so we are going to have to put up with that blow hard once again on a major.

If you live in California get used to playing on burned out brown courses, at least if the Guv Brown has his way!

The best thing about the coverage was the limited commercial interruptions. I nearly fell out of my chair when, about 6:15 PDT, Buck said something like, "There will be no more commercial interruptions from here on." That was one thing the USGA got right!

Consensus in my golf group today was that it was a pretty good effort, overall. One guy reported that his wife did say, "Who is that slut doing the interviews?"

Personally, I just wish everyone would stop playing music during highlight playbacks - it adds nothing and forces me to the mute button. I could sprain my finger!

I still think his 1994 ATT win at Pebble Beach was the craziest thing ever in golf. He quit playing more or less years ago and just showed up and won. Sometimes practice just isnt worth it.

While I don't exactly agree, golf, in particular, is a game where you can think too much. Playing relaxed likely has its advantages.

While I don't exactly agree, golf, in particular, is a game where you can think too much. Playing relaxed likely has its advantages.

Ya, I was being a bit over the top. But for a wild amateur many of my best rounds have came very early in the year. You certainly have to be put in the time to be a top notch elite golfer, but with that comes the mental pressure of expectations which some cant seem to handle. I imagine poor DJ wasn't very relaxed when putting those 2 putts that cost him the tourney.
A person could have built a fully funded retirement betting against Jim Furyk on Sunday when he opened the final round with a lead. He has fully paid a few Vegas trips for me personally.

I was telling my wife that the land was not suited for building a golf course. All that green contours ... scary.

:cool:I have been playing and watching golf for 43 years. The course was not the best looking golf course on TV but I sort of liked watching it. Nice to watch a tournament live when it dark on the east coast :D I am a 10 handicap and I bet I could not break 120 on that course. I also doubt the US Open will never return to this tricked up course. oldtrig

Chambers Bay also has to be one of the more expensive muni courses in the country, at $299 a round for non-residents I think I'll pass. I can think of a few other ways to torture myself for a lot less money.

Chambers Bay also has to be one of the more expensive muni courses in the country, at $299 a round for non-residents I think I'll pass. I can think of a few other ways to torture myself for a lot less money.

When you play golf, by definition, you enjoy torture. I think I will play the course at least once if I get a chance. I average 32 putts per round. With local caddy's help, I think I can do 43 putts or less on those things they call green ... :nonono:

it's difficult to call a shot a "putt" when you can't tell if you're on the green or fairway

When you play golf, by definition, you enjoy torture. I think I will play the course at least once if I get a chance. I average 32 putts per round. With local caddy's help, I think I can do 43 putts or less on those things they call green ... :nonono:

Local caddy help will be invaluable. He can tell you which putt you need to face the hole while putting and which ones you will need to have your back square to the hole. :)

Back
Top Bottom