US Open, Chambers Bay

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Beautiful piece of real estate but the only thing the course is missing is a windmill and a clown face.

Looks a whole lot like the British Open to me...

If you like championship golf, you better get used to it. There are 3 British Opens and The Masters this year. Hopefully this will just be a one year thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chambers Bay was a former industrial site. Not many other uses were viable.

I can't believe Day. To play at that level on that course with BPV is just amazing!

It's fun watching the best struggle but I can't see how that course could be any fun to play for the average golfer. I have a feeling it would be a struggle for a 10 handicapper to break 100 from the forward tees.

Sure looks like an interesting course! The background shots look like the Pacific. Northwest but the course looks totally different.

Went to school @ UW back when the Sonics won the NBA championship, Warren Moon & James Edwards played for the Huskies.

It's fun watching the best struggle ...

It is fun watching them play a real course rather than the finely manicured courses that they normally play.

I couldn't believe that Tiger chili-dipped a fairway wood on the 18th in the first round... I can do that!

I think once the tournament is over you are really going to hear what the players think of the track. The USGA prides itself on setting up a tough course but this course is almost to the point of being ridiculous and unplayable. When good shots aren't rewarded and you have to land your green shots on the hood of a 55 chevy it might make it fun to watch but it is more a test of luck than of skill.

I heard an interview with the course designer on NPR the other day. He sounded pleased there was so much negative feedback. One of the things he mentioned was that players needed to spend considerable time practicing before the tournament or would fare badly - this was not a course to fly in, practice a couple of rounds, play and leave.

It is fun watching them play a real course rather than the finely manicured courses that they normally play.

Well, the course is also using what it is given. I hope this is a trend of the future. You know, stop shoe-horning bent grass where it doesn't belong, and then spend every day trying to keep the fungus off.

So the greens are interesting. I like it.

I think Woods' caddy in 2009 set him up psychologically for the loss of focus.

I think once the tournament is over you are really going to hear what the players think of the track. The USGA prides itself on setting up a tough course but this course is almost to the point of being ridiculous and unplayable. When good shots aren't rewarded and you have to land your green shots on the hood of a 55 chevy it might make it fun to watch but it is more a test of luck than of skill.

I do not know which hole it was, but I saw two people drive a par 4... the ball was running up the left side of the green.... then took a turn to the right... continued to roll off the green and into a hazard... they said a bunker, but it looked more like a ditch....

I saw a few shots that went a bit far on the green, were almost stopped and then started to pick up speed... and some looked like they went 30 or 40 yards farther before stopping...

I was wondering where the greens and fairway or 'rough' separated.... then last night the announcer said 'those white dots are the edge of the green'... :facepalm: WHAT:confused: You need dots on the ground to tell the difference:confused:

I doubt it will be played at this course again... however, if it is everybody that can show will show since they want to win a major... or make big money if they do not....

But.... despite the complaints about the course the leaderboard is -4 and -1 so IMO it can't be all that bad and they are coping. I think it makes for entertaining golf... shots that end up worse than what is deserved because of bad bounces and better than deserved due to good bounces are all part of the game.

Hell, a guy I was playing with the other day pushed a tee shot on a par three 25 yards right of the center of the green, it hit a tree and kicked onto the green and rolled close enough to the pin that he won the closest to the pin contest on that hole! Breaks like that are just part of the game and part of what makes it so interesting.

But.... despite the complaints about the course the leaderboard is -4 and -1 so IMO it can't be all that bad and they are coping. I think it makes for entertaining golf... shots that end up worse than what is deserved because of bad bounces and better than deserved due to good bounces are all part of the game.

Hell, a guy I was playing with the other day pushed a tee shot on a par three 25 yards right of the center of the green, it hit a tree and kicked onto the green and rolled close enough to the pin that he won the closest to the pin contest on that hole! Breaks like that are just part of the game and part of what makes it so interesting.

Hey don't make fun of shots like that. The closest I ever came to a hole in one was a ball leaning over edge of cup compliments of hitting a tree 15 yards to the right of the green. :)

These pros need to suck it up and just play. Garcia's snivelling is pathetic...what a baby.

I have enjoyed the heck out of watching this tournament - massive entertainment value. I think the course is a sensory delight on TV - ocean, volcanos, trains, massive bunkers, yellow and green hues, eagle calls in the background...giving the rest of the world a glimpse as to why those of us in the PNW feel blessed to live here.

And thanks to my relatively newfound FIRE status I have been able to watch virtually every moment of it. Back in my early 30's I was a single digit handicapper... I pretty much quit golf to help crank up my savings rate to I could FIRE in my early 40's.

I have to admit, I am starting to get the itch to play again.

These pros need to suck it up and just play. Garcia's snivelling is pathetic...what a baby.

I have enjoyed the heck out of watching this tournament - massive entertainment value. I think the course is a sensory delight on TV - ocean, volcanos, trains, massive bunkers, yellow and green hues, eagle calls in the background...giving the rest of the world a glimpse as to why those of us in the PNW feel blessed to live here.

And thanks to my relatively newfound FIRE status I have been able to watch virtually every moment of it. Back in my early 30's I was a single digit handicapper... I pretty much quit golf to help crank up my savings rate to I could FIRE in my early 40's.

I have to admit, I am starting to get the itch to play again.

I agree about the complaining. But visually to me I prefer the green scenery for golf. The part that probably annoys me the most right or wrong is I can't see a transition from fairway to green. Many Open Championships across the pond have more contrast between fairway and greens visually on tv than here.

I couldn't believe that Tiger chili-dipped a fairway wood on the 18th in the first round... I can do that!

A local sportscaster here in the metromess said the other night "I've being practicing for years to be able to play like Tiger Woods, now I can" :LOL:

I agree about the complaining. But visually to me I prefer the green scenery for golf. The part that probably annoys me the most right or wrong is I can't see a transition from fairway to green. Many Open Championships across the pond have more contrast between fairway and greens visually on tv than here.

Me also... and they had a shot from up high that showed the whole course looked like a brown dead spot with green around it... so it is not like there couldn't be green if they wanted... then again, maybe they were trees and the grass was just as brown...

Wow, what an exciting finish.

Chambers Bay doesn't look like a traditional course, but it sure was fun to watch.

The USGA says they are committed to "sustainability". I read where last years site, Pinehurst 2, now uses almost 70% less water than it did before its "updating" a few years ago.

USGA President Tom O'Toole said that water is the biggest issue facing golf going forward.

I guess brown is the new green.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Felt kind of bad for DJ. I just knew he was going to miss that second putt. He had great restraint and class after 3 jacking. I would have pulled a Happy Gilmore threw my club and looked to put a beat down on Bob Barker.

+1 While I wanted Spieth to win I would have preferred that DJ make the birdie putt and we get to see these two going mano-a-mano for 18 holes on Monday. DJ's putting was a bit suspect all afternoon, and I was surprised that he let the eagle attempt slide by so far.

On to St. Andrews... go Jordan!

Back
Top Bottom