Using a Drill Battery to Charge Up USB Devices

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Do any folks here use your drill' battery to charge up USB Devices?

I don't leave my phone on all the time and already have a portable power bank for the very purpose of giving usb devices a charge on the go.

But yesterday, I can across a youtube video of a guy that built his own connector to a drill battery to use the drill's battery as the power source for charging up USB devices.

Then looking further, I see that a few tool brands (DeWalt, Milwaukee) already have an add on that convert their common drill battery to a portable USB power source.

Then I see there's a startup from Kickstarter that is selling an add on to existing battery types (ryobi, craftsman, DeWalt, and so on) for the very purpose of using the drill's battery as a charger.

I may have to get one as a something I need but gadget I want :).

The USB port in my car radio charges. That's my portable solution. Car has to be running though.

So why not just plug it into a spare PC/Laptop USB port for a short time? Or if traveling a spare USB port in the car (assuming your car has one) My newest vehicle has 2.

edit: okay, now I see you want one but really don't need one. That's different. :)

Last edited:
The Kickstarter that I mentioned simple clip on to the drill's battery that has two USB ports one more powerful (such a tablet) and another for something like a smartphone. The startup company is called USBeast (catchy name).

USBeast: Power all things USB with your Cordless Tool Batteries! - Home

Already DeWalt and Milwaukee have something for their batteries:

As mentioned, I really don't need one, but want :D

Attachments

• dewalt.jpg
    dewalt.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 13
  • milwaukee.gif
    milwaukee.gif
    57.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
So why not just plug it into a spare PC/Laptop USB port for a short time? Or if traveling a spare USB port in the car (assuming your car has one) My newest vehicle has 2.

edit: okay, now I see you want one but really don't need one. That's different. :)

I have one USB cable connection in my car that works both as a charger and also is used to play from (for example, plug in a smartphone, charge and play songs from).

Was driving a long distance with a friend a few years ago and she lives with her iphone on constantly and at that time I didn't have a power bank. Ended up having to use an inverter for with the 12v DC of my jump box and her charger. The phone drained the jump box after about an 8 hr drive and I'd have to recharge the box each night.

The one I have is a RavPower brand name that I got from Amazon about a year ago for about $16. About the size of a deck of cards but heavier.

That's why I really don't need a gadget that works off my drill battery, but yet still find myself lusting after one :LOL:.

The one I have is a RavPower brand name that I got from Amazon about a year ago for about $16. About the size of a deck of cards but heavier.

That's why I really don't need a gadget that works off my drill battery, but yet still find myself lusting after one :LOL:.
This is basically all you need to make a phone charger. Thirty three cents apiece. Plus a USB cord, another buck at Dollar Tree if you want to swing for the fences.

Last edited:
I have a portable USB charger that I can carry along for emergencies. It sits in a drawer at home and I never remember to use it. Conversely, I have a charger cord plugged in and available in the car and use it frequently. I think if I was a constant talker/user and frequently ran my phone dry I would remember to carry the portable charger and might look into a even smaller version. As it is, it is not a real problem so I will skip it. No way I would lug my drill battery around with me.

Sounds like about the worst kickstarter idea ever. Who wants to carry their drill battery around with them, especially since there are much smaller solutions already available?

Or depending on which phone you have you might replace the battery with a higher capacity one. I bought one for my Samsung galaxy alpha which doubled the capacity for $12.

Sounds like about the worst kickstarter idea ever. Who wants to carry their drill battery around with them, especially since there are much smaller solutions already available?

I can see the drill battery idea or other portable power useful in a setting like on a camping trip of if your vehicle isn't equipped with built-in usb charging and you go on a long trip (think, a group of kids in the back needed access to their electronics).

Otherwise, like you said, carrying a drill battery around surely will make your pants sag :LOL:.

I fed into my lust and ordered the Milwaukee power source. Mainly, I'll just play around with it a bit, then use if for if I have guests in my car who absolutely must have their phones charged and on all the time.

For my phone usage, actually just carrying the corded charger that came with my phone should work fine.

And one day maybe all cell phones will use the same cable........one can only dream.

Anker makes a compact car battery charger that also doubles as a USB charger. Robot Check That seems like a more logical thing to keep in your car, or have to remember to put in when you might need it, than a drill battery. I got it for $49 on an Amazon special. I have a calendar reminder to bring it in every 3 months to recharge it. Now I've got both a USB charger and an emergency car charger in my car ready to use.

Got my drill battery power source converter. Slip the converter on the battery, have a 2.1 amp USB port. A fun toy :D

Attachments

• drill batt power bank.JPG
    drill batt power bank.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom