Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
We learned a lot about how bad the postal service had become, and how weak their dedication to public service, responsibility, or duty (a four letter word, apparently), during the months following Hurricane Katrina.

We had no mail service at all for months, and only partial mail service for months after that, in the undamaged areas. We had tourists and Mardi Gras, but couldn't get mail. Go figure.
Isn't that part of the whole plan?

Put incompetent greedy cronies in all possible positions, then use their incompetency as proof that gummit is inherently incapable and that we need to direct the tax money to all the honest efficient mercenaries.

Trust me, I'm from Blackwater/Custer Battles/Halliburton and am not subject to civil service or military accountability.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yup, won't be long before there're calling those "Forever Stamps" "Whenever Stamps"
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Our area has been growing rapidly and the route apparently became so large.
But looky here---Based on the above quote it would appear your campaign to frighten off the would be Texans may be slipping a bit.
"rapidly growing" eh? Better hurry folks, REW's paradise is filling up fast

Old 06-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Yup, won't be long before there're calling those
But looky here---Based on the above quote it would appear your campaign to frighten off the would be Texans may be slipping a bit.
Well, we were successful in chasing off at few to the hills of MO, which I understand rivals anyplace in the CONUS for scenic beauty, affordable housing, favorable tax treatment...and free beer.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Better hurry folks, REW's paradise is filling up fast

Let me fill in here for ya, wahoo...

"Bet you didnt know chiggers and rattlesnakes got mail?"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
how much would fedex charge to send your letter ground? more than $.39 i bet.
I have to say this because DW had to stand in line today for 20 minutes to get 2 cent stamps and they would only sell her 20, so she had to stand in line twice, but they raised the rates again to $.41
Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

You could vote for Ron Paul for President. He said he'll allow competition to the USPS for first class mail if he wins. But like someone else said, I doubt a private company would deliver your mail in the boonies for .39

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:22 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Isn't that part of the whole plan?

Put incompetent greedy cronies in all possible positions, then use their incompetency as proof that gummit is inherently incapable and that we need to direct the tax money to all the honest efficient mercenaries.

Trust me, I'm from Blackwater/Custer Battles/Halliburton and am not subject to civil service or military accountability.
You're right - - they were probably contracting out in New Orleans. Whatever they were doing sure gave a black eye to the postal service, in the eyes of many New Orleanians. Now, we get our mail regularly but I don't suppose that I will ever feel as certain about getting my mail as I once felt.

Through rain, sleet, snow, hail, or dark of night, but not in New Orleans.

Between the postal service's performance, and FEMA, and the Corps of Engineers, for a while it was pretty embarrassing to admit that I work for Uncle Sam. Duty, responsibility, and competence are all important in my agency despite public perception of government.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:06 AM   #28

Chiggers? Please, a bit of sensitivity is in order here!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:20 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz View Post
If we didn't have the USPS, I don't think rural areas would have home delivery. It wouldn't be profitable..... Kind of like not selling insurance to people with preexisting conditions
I agree. There is some legislation proposed that would allow private sector "competition" for first class mail. I don't believe for a minute that any company will promiss to deliver mail everywhere. Of course ReW just proved that the USPO can't quite deliver on the promiss either but at least they are obligated to try to find someone to handle his area. Sounds like you have a potential job if the market goes south ReW
Old 06-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Sounds like you have a potential job if the market goes south ReW
I suppose it would be an option...of dead last resort.

Can you imagine what it would be like to work directly for a guy (the postmaster) who you've been having daily phone conversations with, chewing on him about his lack of management skills and foresight? No thanks.

I've got connections at Wallymart, so I'll look there first.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

A while ago tracking showed that a Fedex package had been delivered to my door, although I knew that it had not. It turned out that my house was on the way to the delivery guy's house, so he marked it as delivered, then took it home with him to be delivered on his way to work in the morning.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

OK--I'll take the opposite side and stick up for the Post Office. We live in the northside of Indianapolis, & last year they closed the part-time post office (open from 9-11:30, 1-3) which was 4 miles northwest of us and opened a new post-office 3 miles southeast of us (trying to revive a bad neighborhood). Service isn't the fastest, but then again I'm retired so I have an old paperback book I keep in the car and stick it in my back pocket whenever I anticipate lines (think Walmart). Although we're in the city, we have rural-type mail-boxes. Mail is always delivered everyday, and I mail out a lot of bills and letters, etc., and they always make it on time. I used to work for an electronics-distributor and am well-versed on wrapping items for shipment. Have sent tons of stuff (I did all the wrapping), and it always makes it there OK. USPS is very competitive rate-wise, and does a great job as far as I'm concerned. A quirk I inherited from my mother is sending birthday cards (we're talking about 200 a year), and I go to a cheapy card outlet and buy cards for 50 cents. I stick a scratch-off lottery ticket in each card, so for $1.91, all my friends and relatives get a greeting and a gift from me each year--and USPS helps make that possible.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #33

Update:

The local postmaster called me at 7:30AM to say 1) he had personally delivered all the mail he could yesterday (FYI, we did get three first class letters and a magazine late in the day - probably 1/3 of the three day backlog), and 2) he was going to personally sort all the mail he could today prior to 1PM then start delivering, since starting any later would not allow him to finish before dark.

Me: "What are your prospects for hiring a new carrier?"

Postmaster: "I asked my other employees if they knew anyone and I got a name."

Me: "Is that the process for finding a mail carrier these days?"

Postmaster: "Yep, word of mouth."

Me: "So what do you have to do to hire this person?"

Postmaster: "The applicant has to call Dallas and work it out with them."

Me: "So you don't make the hiring decision?"

Postmaster: "No, all contracting is done through the Dallas Regional office."

Me: "Assuming the new contractor hiring takes place without a hitch, how long before we get routine mail service again?"

Postmaster: "I don't know."

Me: "So what do we expect until this person is hired and trained?"

Postmaster: "I'll do the best I can to get at least some of your mail delivered."

Me: "Do you think the new contract carrier will have the same problem the old one and the back-up carrier had with the length of the route?"

Postmaster: "As soon as we get the new carrier trained, I'm going to sit down at my computer and split the route, then send it to Dallas for approval."

Me: "How long will that take?"

Me: "Can you get Dallas to hire a second contractor so you'll be ready to go once they approve splitting the route?"

Postmaster: "No, I only have approval to hire one contractor for each route."

Me: "So using common sense, being customer focused and manging proactively isn't allowed?"

Postmaster: - Dead silence -

Me: "What makes you think the new carrier will stick around while the wheels of your bureaucracy grind through all this?"

Me: "Thank you for your call, and I wish you the best of luck."

Old 06-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Better up that USPS count from 3 to 4. Might as well manage it proactively and bump it to 10 or 12.

Thinking of getting one of those funny 'mailboxes etc' mailboxes somewhere they actually have delivery and redirecting your mail to it for a while?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

What you are seeing is both the result of the USPS internal administrative processes and a tight labor market.

We all want the USPS to vet their carriers. It could be a disaster if they engaged a thief or someone who has a bad driving record. The USPS is accustomed to having lots of responsible qualified people pounding on their doors. Now they are just like every other employer competing for this workforce. Remember, contract carriers aren't employees so they don't get fringe benefits like health insurance.

In the past older women with little work experience wanted those jobs, now they can get better jobs. The other pool was service workers & laborers looking to climb up economically - but a good chunk of that workforce is undocumented today. Now you can understand why employers across the country want a legally employable semi-skilled workforce.

I feel for the Postmaster but s/he will push harder for action from his managers now.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

It always confounds me when a boss tells me that he's personally doing the job that one of his employees is supposed to be doing. Why does the boss think that he's just as much in touch as the employee? Am I expected to believe that the boss can still do the job better than the person who's been doing it for him?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Me: "So using common sense, being customer focused and manging proactively isn't allowed?"
Postmaster: - Dead silence -
Me: "What makes you think the new carrier will stick around while the wheels of your bureaucracy grind through all this?"
Me: "Thank you for your call, and I wish you the best of luck."
I think you've solved your mail problem-- you'll never see any of it ever again!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think you've solved your mail problem-- you'll never see any of it ever again!
Yep. My search for a way to get DW to stop subscribing to all those worthless magazines is finally over!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #38

One of the post offices in Frisco, TX is being investigated. A lot of complaints about missing and opened/pilfered mail. Problem is both with mail going in and out of that branch. One guy mailed a letter directly from there to his Dad who lived out of state. The letter had a Lowe's gift card in it. His Dad got the letter, it was taped closed, no gift card. With Lowe's help, they traced the gift card to a Carrollton, TX Lowe's where it was used up.

Wasn't Jim and Tammy's glass palace in Carrollton? Maybe somebody needed some replacement glass over there

Or maybe they spent it all on a barrel of Amdro... just another reason not to move to Texas.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #39

Here's the next installment of the saga of our undelivered mail...

Tonight the postmaster and his boss (the "USPS Regional Director of Incompetence" or some such title...) met with local outraged citizens to address our concerns of having no mail delivery for days, followed by sporadic, misdirected, and unreliable delivery for weeks. I wasn't planning on going, but DW wanted to see what they had to say for themselves, so I tagged along (big mistake).

Maybe I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I thought it might be a good idea for the two postal reps to begin by saying something to the effect, "Yes we screwed up, yes it's all our fault and we are very, very sorry about it. Here's what happened, here's how were correcting the problem, and here's what we're doing to be sure it doesn't happen again."

But, nnooooooooo.

Instead we heard no apology, it's the subcontractor's fault, we can't help it if they quit without notice and the backup also quits, there was nothing we could have done about it, no we haven't noticed that the route had grown to more than 100 miles in length and 700 addresses (!!!!) yadda, yadda, yadda. I now fully understand how lynch mobs are created.

I came very close to losing it when the Director of Silly Walks said, "Each time I go into the lobby of Bank of America and see a bunch of people waiting in line I can't help but think if this were the Post Office everyone would be complaining about the lack of service." Saying of course, the 50 or so people in that room who hadn't been getting their mail were just a bunch of complainers.

I couldn't resist pointing out to him the absurdity of his comparison since unlike those of us doing business with his organization, the people standing in line at BofA had the choice of doing business with another bank.

Someone in the back of the room said jokingly, "Hey, better be careful. You may never get another letter!" To which I responded, "I'm not getting mail today, so how would I know?" And my cheap shot was mild compared to most comments.

After listening to them respond to questions an complaints for an hour it was painfully obvious that the stereotype of the US Postal Service as a bureaucratic, incompetent, "that's not my job", non-customer focused organization was absolutely true...at least in the case of the two bumblebutts I saw tonight. In the real business world, these two USPS "managers" wouldn't be qualified to manage a parking space. Sad. Frustrating. Infuriating.

Where's the Maalox...

Old 06-19-2007, 07:09 AM   #40

sorry to hear your story. it really sucks, and there is nothing you can do. to bad they wont let you come in and find your own mail in the pile!