Video cameras

Notmuchlonger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone purchased a video camera recently? We are looking to get one that can also take stills. Our camera bit the dust on vacation :(

As a matter of fact, we got our very first (no laughing) video camera in January before we took off for our very first train ride to our very first visit to Seattle, WA. My DH is a tech-savvy home theatre electronics kinda guy. He just HAD to have an HD Sony Vid Cam that is small, light, and takes stills as well. He even got a tripod for it. WE LOVE IT. If you want to research it, we got a HDR SR-7. I believe the SR-8 is out now...of course a bit more. LOL

Thank you. Still researching. Good to hear some word of mouth :) We have never owned a video camera either ;)

You're welcome. The tripod is great (even though I teased him for getting it) because its just the two of us and we got pictures of ourselves that would otherwise have not been taken of the two of us together. If you are into High Def...its the way to go! Good luck.

Get a Canon or Sony, you can never go wrong with those brands. If you want to a video camera with decent still pictures then make sure you get at least 1mega pixel still capability. Take note also that Video camera are made to take good videos so don't expect too much for stills.

For easy to use, a DVD camcorder is fun to use. No tranfers required. Just put in a new dvd everytime and can be played straight to your computer or even DVD player.

This is a good entry level vidcam -> Consumer Camcorders - High Definition Camcorders - DVD Camcorders - Single Chip CCD Digital Camcorders - Digital Camcorder - DC330 - Canon USA Consumer Products

I wouldn't expect camcorder to do good stills. I know the "still pic capability" of camcorders has gotten better - but "framing the shot" and flash control alll make using a camcorder as a camera a bad choice, if you ask me.

I carry a small 7megapixel dig camera in a case on my belt along with camcorder.

For easy to use, a DVD camcorder is fun to use. No tranfers required. Just put in a new dvd everytime and can be played straight to your computer or even DVD player.

This is a good entry level vidcam -> Consumer Camcorders - High Definition Camcorders - DVD Camcorders - Single Chip CCD Digital Camcorders - Digital Camcorder - DC330 - Canon USA Consumer Products

I'll respectfully disagree with a DVD vidcam. For example, if the thing fails to 'finalize' properly when you finish, you could lose access to everything you recorded on the whole disk. And too many unsealed, complex mechanisms for me.

A much, much better alternative these days is a vidcam that records to solid state memory or to an internal hard drive. I have not looked up models in over a year, but do some searching based on that. The reliability is bound to be 100x better.

I will never, never, never, buy anything that records to tape again for the rest of my life. Had a tape vidcam jam 3 months out of warranty. Avoid mechanical stuff as much as possible. Hard drives do have some simple (yet precise) mechanics, but it is all in an arc in a single plane, one rotor, and it is all sealed. A DVD has all that, plus the in/out mechanism, and it is *not* sealed. No contest, IMO.

-ERD50

I wouldn't expect camcorder to do good stills. I know the "still pic capability" of camcorders has gotten better - but "framing the shot" and flash control alll make using a camcorder as a camera a bad choice, if you ask me.

I carry a small 7megapixel dig camera in a case on my belt along with camcorder.

I'd agree with this also. Still cameras are so good now. Just because a vidcam says it can 'do' stills, they are unlikely to be anywhere near the quality even an inexpensive digicam.

-ERD50

Maybe I was expecting too much. Good to know about the still quality.

Back
Top Bottom