Vietnam Era Music Website

Eagle43 said:
Got this in email.  I think it's a great site. Try it and lemme know what you think.
I could forward this to my buddy the F-4 RIO who's logged a few flight hours on YANKEE station. But before I do, here's a question:

Youngsters like me may listen and think "Cool!" because it reminds us of our third-grade recess or our high-school cafeteria.

But for gosh' sakes why would a been-there-done-that vet want to play the music that'll bring back those memories? You Vietnam alumni, what are your thoughts?

"Green Fields", one of my favorite is there. Yahoo!

The Viet Nam theme to the web site may or may not be a good idea. The songs on most of the playlists just are popular songs from the era. Handy. I like a lot of the songs.

I heard a NPR program about when people begin to be less interested in new music. For many, tastes begin to be fixed between the age of 14 and 21. By the time you are 35 most people just aren't interested in new music and the door closes.

HaHa excepted.

Martha said:
The Viet Nam theme to the web site may or may not be a good idea.
Exactly. I enjoy sharing these types of things with with him, but I thought he was going to go off the rails when Duke Cunningham was indicted. I don't think he'll ever be able to go to the Wall again, and this from a guy who didn't exactly spend his time in the jungle. So I don't want to direct his attention to something that'll restart the flashbacks and get his family & other friends annoyed with me. Again.

Martha said:
I heard a NPR program about when people begin to be less interested in new music.  For many, tastes begin to be fixed between the age of 14 and 21.  By the time you are 35  most people just aren't interested in new music and the door closes. 
I'll always be partial to classic rock, but I listen to even more Hawaiian music than our kid.  I can't handle most of the Jawaiian crap but there's plenty of good new artists.

Is it just me, or are more teenagers tuning in to Bob Marley?

Nords said:
Youngsters like me may listen and think "Cool!" because it reminds us of our third-grade recess or our high-school cafeteria.

But for gosh' sakes why would a been-there-done-that vet want to play the music that'll bring back those memories? You Vietnam alumni, what are your thoughts?

There are good memories and bad memories from that era. This music has more meaning to my life than probably other.

However I looked at the play lists and some of the stuff I cannot relate to from the 60's - The Country Stuff - Yuk! - Frank Sinatra - I started listening to him in the 90's. I could not listen to Frank when I was 19

So, my 60's music is Jimmy Hendrix stuff - Listen to the Forest Gump Movie Soundtrack. Or Apocalpse now Water sking to the Rolling Stones - Satisfaction! 8)

It's too bad that most oldies radio stations cycle through only the most popular songs or the ones which have become classics. I remember listening to AM radio in the late '60s, early '70s and there was quite a bit of variety including good songs that just aren't on the playlists of oldies stations today. It wasn't highbrow stuff, but I'm sure I'm not the only person that might enjoy hearing an occassional novelty tune by Jerry Reed or Ray Stevens.

"Well, the average American father and mother,
Owns one whole car, and half another.
And I bet that half-a-car's a trick to drive, don't you?
But the thing that amazes me , I guess,
Is the way we measure a man's success,
By the kind of automobile he can afford to drive..."

Jerry Reed

50s: Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Pat Boone... (just kidding...)

60s: Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Hendrix, Moody Blues, Steppenwolf, Jefferson Airplane, Led Zeppelin, CCR, Zappa...

70s: Allman Bros., Pink Floyd, Santana, Steely Dan, Eagles, Kansas, Rush, Climax Blues Band, REO, Yes, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Zappa...

80s: Cars, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Fixx, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Steve Winwood, Talking Heads, ZZ Top, Zappa...

90s: Pearl Jam, Third Eye Blind, Alice in Chains, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Live, Wallflowers...

00s: ??

RnR is 50+ years old. Why are classic rock playlists so short:confused:

Martha said:
I heard a NPR program about when people begin to be less interested in new music. For many, tastes begin to be fixed between the age of 14 and 21. By the time you are 35 most people just aren't interested in new music and the door closes.

I would love to hear some new music. Problem is, I haven't heard anything that sounds new or original musically for some years now. (Since I was in my mid-30's, come to think of it...) Everything sounds like tired retreads of premasticated musical ideas, or worse, outright remakes.

Kids today, they have way too much respect for their elders. Are rebellion and innovation dead?

Great link! Thanks to the OP.

Those looking for new music - check out Sigur Ros.

pjdaddy said:
Those looking for new music - check out Sigur Ros.

Finally started checking them out. Pretty good!
Some of their stuff is strongly reminiscent of This Mortal Coil.
Any connection to the 4AD folks?

Back
Top Bottom