Vintage Wine

JOHNNIE36

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Last Saturday at an estate sale I purchased a bottle of wine. I am certainly not a wine expert but I bought the bottle because it looked interesting. I went on line and found it to be a very desirable wine but couldn't find this particular vintage. Thought someone on this forum may be into wines, is familiar with wine websites and could tell me something about it or lead me to a webwite. It is "Chateau d Yquem" Lur-Saluces 1953. It's called Bordeaux white wine on the label but it appears to be red. Any ideas?

Château D'yquem Lur-saluces 1953 wine prices.

~ $1,500 per bottle according to this site. I'm assuming you paid much less ;)

Although, I have no idea how the price is affected by being in the hands of private owners. Was it stored properly? Could it have been opened and another wine substituted?

Interesting, probably a deal just to have the bottle, even if the wine is turned.

-ERD50

Sounds like it might be a Sauternes. Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes can fetch a nice price, even without any age to them. Under proper conditions, Sauternes can be stored for a very long time. As it ages, the wine can take a copper color.

Last edited:
Wines like that spoil quickly if not properly stored. The thing to do is open it now and drink it before it goes bad. And in the spirit of forum camaraderie, I volunteer to help.

If it hasn't turned it would be an intensely sweet dessert wine.

Wines like that spoil quickly if not properly stored. The thing to do is open it now and drink it before it goes bad. And in the spirit of forum camaraderie, I volunteer to help.

It probably was not stored properly, although I wouldn't know anything about the proper procedure. Seeing it sitting on a table at a sale with a $5 price tag on it would lead one to believe the seller didn't know how to properly take care of it. Neither the seller or the buyer knew what they had.

It probably was not stored properly, although I wouldn't know anything about the proper procedure. Seeing it sitting on a table at a sale with a $5 price tag on it would lead one to believe the seller didn't know how to properly take care of it. Neither the seller or the buyer knew what they had.

I suspect you are correct. The odds of the wine being in good shape are low.

But I think it is awesome that you have a bottle of wine that sells for $1,500! I'd get a little display case, get some print outs of those sites that show it going for those big bucks, and make a little shrine for it. It would make a great little conversation piece.

You could always splurge on a 'good' bottle of Sauternes ($30 or so?) that would probably be similar for those of us who aren't high-end oenophiles.

You could always try to sell it, being honest that you can't expect that it was stored properly. Who knows, an oenophile might be willing to pay $100 or so for the bottle, just to collect it even knowing the wine is probably no good.

It won't be the first time:

Amazon.com: The Billionaire's Vinegar: The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine (9780307338778): Benjamin Wallace: Books

-ERD50

You could always pop the cork and see if it's still good. Sauternes is wonderful with seafood and I think it is an ideal companion for sweet Maine lobsters and sea scallops.

I usually don't spend that much on a bottle of wine but guess you could save it for a special occasion and then give it a try? Most likely, it's gone bad but you never know, lol?

Back
Top Bottom