Vinyl

Just moved. Into the trash. :)

Did that on my last move, back in 2002. Haven't regretted it for one instant. :) Actually, I put them beside the big dumpster at my old apt complex. I am sure someone found what they considered to be a bonanza. And I was rid of an albatross, for once and for all.

think I see some poopies on this thread ;)

I enjoy playing my albums and love the cover art. You can get cheap but nice album frames from Michael's or whatever craft store type dealie you have nearby. I'm sure they are cheaper than Resto, Harley. :)

I frame my favorites and hang them near the stereo. I have digitized some of them, but it is a huge pain in the butt and I lack the patience to do a really good job of it. One of these days I'll probably get around to it.

I did a cool thing the other day, though. Hooked up that Airport Express wireless doohickey so I could play music through the stereo from my iTunes on the computer. I use my iTouch as a remote (free app) and I've been pretty pleased with it.

I wonder if there is anything left in their sound to digitize. :D
Perhaps you should continue to keep them just for looks, while searching for new releases on CDs or MP3. :)

As soon as Spooky Tooth's Spooky Two, Larry Raspberry and the Highsteppers Highsteppin' and Fancy Dancin', Spirit's Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus, and It's A Beautiful Day's It's A Beautiful Day At Carnegie Hall, among others, are released on CD, I'm there...

Oh, no, something went wrong
Well you're much too fat and a little too long
Hey, hey, got too much to lose
Better get on home to the animal zoo...

Animal Zoo, Spirit

Did that on my last move, back in 2002. Haven't regretted it for one instant. :) Actually, I put them beside the big dumpster at my old apt complex. I am sure someone found what they considered to be a bonanza. And I was rid of an albatross, for once and for all.

That was very kind of you to set the box beside the dumpster. Dumpster diving is not all its cracked up to be...:D. Funny how records fit so neatly into the old adage - one persons thrash is another's treasure

As soon as Spooky Tooth's Spooky Two, Larry Raspberry and the Highsteppers Highsteppin' and Fancy Dancin', Spirit's Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus, and It's A Beautiful Day's It's A Beautiful Day At Carnegie Hall, among others, are released on CD, I'm there...

Oh, no, something went wrong
Well you're much too fat and a little too long
Hey, hey, got too much to lose
Better get on home to the animal zoo...

Animal Zoo, Spirit

That brought back a long forgotten memory! I saw Spirit in Toronto in 1973 at a hole in the wall theater near or on Spadina Ave. A remastered Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus is available.

Amazon.com: Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus: Spirit: Music

Giving your records a bath

I found and am tempted to get the Spin Clean Record Washer

I've been using a damp micro fiber cloth but giving my babies a real bath could take me to the next level of sound happiness.

I found and am tempted to get the Spin Clean Record Washer

I've been using a damp micro fiber cloth but giving my babies a real bath could take me to the next level of sound happiness.

Clean records are critical for good sound. I've read good things about the Spin Clean (see this thread Anybody else order a Spin Clean recently? - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums ) but I haven't used it myself. I use an RCM made by Nitty Gritty and it does a really good job.

I still have my collection of vinyl (about 700 records) and listen to them regularly. In the mid 80s when I thought turntables may become completely obsolete I purchased a couple of spare Shure V15 Type V cartridges. Still have an unopened one left.

I still have my collection of vinyl (about 700 records) and listen to them regularly. In the mid 80s when I thought turntables may become completely obsolete I purchased a couple of spare Shure V15 Type V cartridges. Still have an unopened one left.

That's great hang on to those Shure V15's they don't make them anymore. It sure looked in the 80's that turntables and the whole vinyl world was done for. Now I'm amazed when I go to record swaps at all the young people so enthused about LP's. The only downside to this new found popularity is that it sure is getting a lot more difficult to get either free LP's or 10 cent ones like I used to.

That's great hang on to those Shure V15's they don't make them anymore. It sure looked in the 80's that turntables and the whole vinyl world was done for. Now I'm amazed when I go to record swaps at all the young people so enthused about LP's. The only downside to this new found popularity is that it sure is getting a lot more difficult to get either free LP's or 10 cent ones like I used to.
I too have been amazed at the number of young people buying vinyl. You're right it has raised the price.

Clean records are critical for good sound. I've read good things about the Spin Clean (see this thread Anybody else order a Spin Clean recently? - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums ) but I haven't used it myself. I use an RCM made by Nitty Gritty and it does a really good job.

That's quite a site!

There are 375 posts so far just on Spin Clean. Very thorough and informative.

Also Audiokarma has:
Members: 78,945
Threads: 257,382

And I thought ER was large.

Thanks. Nice to have another support group. :)

PS: Just checked out the Nitty Gritty. Wow! That's a serious cleaner....makes the Spin Clean look chintzy ;)

Thanks! Both of them cover vinyl and a lot of other useful audio topics including Marantz :whistle:

Marantz, you said Marantz? I love 70's Marantz. I have a 1200 integrated, 1060 integrated and a 27 all in daily - nay- constant use. Listening to my 27 @ my office system and Dual 1019 as I type this :D, :D, :D

I'm a fan of early McIntosh systems and have a C28 pre-amp, MC 2100 amp, and a pair of ML-1C speakers all purchased in 1971; they still work great. It took me about 3 years to pay them off but it was well worth it.

I'm a fan of early McIntosh systems and have a C28 pre-amp, MC 2100 amp, and a pair of ML-1C speakers all purchased in 1971; they still work great. It took me about 3 years to pay them off but it was well worth it.

Beautiful equipment you have. I'm sure they still sound magnificent after almost 40 years. Unlike Marantz which declined substantially in quality in the late 80's and 90's, McIntosh kept up their outstanding quality and performance throughout. Fortunately, Marantz is also now back to producing top quality. I believe both Marantz and McIntosh are now owned by the same parent company.

It just occurs to me that there is something you record aficionado audiophiles might have tried already.

What's wrong with trying to capture the sound of your beloved album, i.e, digitizing it for posterity? I mean if you believe the CD audio quality of 44,100 Hz sampling and 16-bit resolution is not enough, you can get better sound cards for a reasonable price now. How much does it cost to get something with, say, 24-bit resolution and 192 KHz sampling or such? The sound files will be huge, but with terabyte HDs so cheap now, who cares?

Can you really tell the digitized sound from the original then? Except for the nostalgia of watching the platter spin, what will you be missing?

Marantz, you said Marantz? I love 70's Marantz. I have a 1200 integrated, 1060 integrated and a 27 all in daily - nay- constant use. Listening to my 27 @ my office system and Dual 1019 as I type this :D, :D, :D

Nice!

I am currently possessing 2 70's still working Marantz receivers the 2220B & 2230 plus Marantz 6100 turntable and KLH 23 speakers - 36 years sure got my monies worth....

Yes good to see Marantz back to form

Nodak - quality workmanship lasts and is a beautiful thing. I think back to how much I spent in 74 - well, it was $100 more than I paid for my 1970 Mercury Montego the same year. The Merc is long gone but Marantz & KLH endure!

It just occurs to me that there is something you record aficionado audiophiles might have tried already.

What's wrong with trying to capture the sound of your beloved album, i.e, digitizing it for posterity? I mean if you believe the CD audio quality of 44,100 Hz sampling and 16-bit resolution is not enough, you can get better sound cards for a reasonable price now. How much does it cost to get something with, say, 24-bit resolution and 192 KHz sampling or such? The sound files will be huge, but with terabyte HDs so cheap now, who cares?

Can you really tell the digitized sound from the original then? Except for the nostalgia of watching the platter spin, what will you be missing?

I think its a wonderful experiment you propose. Please conduct it and report back your findings :D

My hearing has been deteriorating. I don't think you would want to rely on me to conduct this experiment. :)

Seriously, has any of these audiophile Websites have anything to say about digitizing? Surely, there got to be a lot of tinkerers who have done it already.

NW-Bound -

A further thought on a slightly more serious vein re digitizing is that in fact vinyl records are extraordinarily durable. I regularly buy Goodwill special of 50 year old LP's that have been handled very very roughly and with a good cleaning sound remarkably good. I have quite a few CD's however that have become unplayable due to decay of the aluminum substrata as well as scratches etc in the plastic covering the aluminum. I think we have all experienced the unplayable CD syndrome. If memory serves these examples of perfect sound forever (CD's) are estimated by the library of Congress to have at most a 100 year lifespan under IDEAL conditions. LP's on the other hand have an indefinite lifespan. As to converting my precious 2,000 LP collection to a Hard Drive (Other than the time involved) have you ever heard of a hard drive crash? And then even assuming the perfect hard drive that never crashes what do I have, just a copy of the original. A photograph of a Renoir is still only a photograph

My hearing has been deteriorating. I don't think you would want to rely on me to conduct this experiment. :)

Seriously, has any of these audiophile Websites have anything to say about digitizing? Surely, there got to be a lot of tinkerers who have done it already.

Yes, its done all the time. I have the software and have done it at the 44K CD resolution level - it comes out OK but does not sound to me as good as the original and like I said its very time consuming.

I do employ this digitizing method when playing 78 RPM records because those really are a PITA changing the record every other song.

Back
Top Bottom