Vote for Best (or Worst) State in USA

In an earlier life, I was in a Fire and Rescue squad in North Carolina. We used to get called out several times a week for Deer-car accidents. The worst was a Honda Civic that hit a big buck in the fall. The deer went through the windsheild and the antlers went into the driver pinning him to the seat. When we got there, the deer was still alive as well as the driver and they were fighting each other. :eek: The Highway Patrolman had to shoot the deer and we hand to cut off the antlers so we could get the deer out of the way and took the poor guy, seat and all to the hospital. He managed to live through this. The deer went to an orphanage for food.

We have mule deer and moose here. You hit one of them and you have a totaled car on your hands. The moose weigh about 1800 pounds so they can make quite a mess of a car.

Ok Ok Ok, I'm going slightly off-topic. Many years ago, a friend of mine was drunk and hit a horse in the back end as he was roaring over a hill at 60 mph one nite:D. The horse's butt was wedged in the front windshield. It died. The entire interior of the car was sprayed with you know what, and the fellow had to wipe his face clean also. He did break his nose. The car was totalled. The kid was young, limber, and still protected by 'the children's stupidity god.' All of us kids went up to the junk yard a couple of times to inspect the car. This story amused us all during our formative driving years and reminded us about drinking and driving consequences--sometimes.

--Greg

The moose weigh about 1800 pounds so they can make quite a mess of a car. 

Moose are dumber than rocks and they don't need to be in heat to attack a car.  Never EVER get between a calf and its mother!   We used to vacation in Jackson Hole. 

Gonzo said:
The State Trooper asked if we wanted to take the deer...yeh, right... hit at 70mph, I don't think so!

He was just being polite. You killed it so you have first dibs. He wanted it for himself, but had to ask you if you wanted it before he took it for himself. All the deer you can eat is just another of the great fringe benefits available to Tennessee State Troopers. :)

Seven years ago one of my shipmates, Ron, went to a conference in Virginia. On the scenic country road from the hotel to the conference center a deer spooked at his rental car and didn't win the race. It went through the windshield, over the front seat, and into the back where it died of its injuries.

Once the adrenaline wore off and his shakes died down, Ron knew he needed to get himself & the car fixed and to let us know that he'd be submitting a complicated travel claim. So he drove the car, contents & all, to the military base. Of course the gate guards saw a gunshot-damaged & blood-spattered vehicle driven by an officer who'd obviously been assaulted by terrorists, so chaos ensued. Security vehicles & ambulances raced to the gate, which caused a rush-hour backup and some media attention. Eventually everyone calmed down enough to listen to his story. Then the radio reports & message traffic began to fly (hey, it was a slow week there).

Ron has a voice & delivery like Bob Newhart. When he called me I thought he was joking until I realized that I was hearing sirens in the background. He told me he'd been attacked by a deer ("Geez, are you OK?!!"), and said that he'd just been scratched & bruised. Once we all got over our reactions, he was actually looking forward to the reports that had to be filed with the Naval Safety Center and the security authorities. He attended the entire conference and I'm sure the deer's size & points grew with each telling of the tale.

I calmed down, told my boss, and then called our XO to let her know about the impending publicity. The moment I said that his car had hit a deer she blurted out the classic pointy-haired boss response "Is the car damaged?!?" I thought for a few seconds and replied "He's just fine, XO, a few bumps & bruises, thanks for asking." The next thing I heard was "click", followed a few minutes later by a drop-in visit from my boss... of course diplomatic relations didn't improve when our copies of the SITREPs started arriving.

The good news is that he got to keep the antlers (we had them mounted with an award for conference attendance above & beyond the call of duty) and I never had to make a report to the XO ever again...

This collision happended a couple years ago a few miles from where I live. The deer jumped off the overpass onto the road below as a Dodge Durango was driving under the underpass. I give the deer a 9.9 for 'sticking' the landing. And a Full 10 for execution (DOA) :D

durango3_small.jpg

Many other pics here and the complete story.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/durango.asp

Back
Top Bottom