Was I in the wrong for 'roughing' this guy up?

:D Funny. I can live with dumb, we all say dumb things every now and then. It's the habitual and virulent stupid that set me off. Three made it to that list, two of which have stopped posting shortly after the ignore feature came into use. One lingers on.....:p

Hmmm, it is a wonder about that mysterious "stopped posting" thing that happens to some of those "most ignored" posters...consider that your moderators may have had some influence in that miracle.... :bat:

:angel:

Hmmm, it is a wonder about that mysterious "stopped posting" thing that happens to some of those "most ignored" posters...consider that your moderators may have had some influence in that miracle.... :bat:

:angel:
I fought my curiosity from years of habit. Sometimes when problems mysteriously disappear in the night it's best not to know or even be curious. The prudent are grateful and move on. >:D[-]Can I send you a name?[/-]:angel:

Glad to see you guys and gals are working hard to make it nicer here. Thank you.

CFB.. nah, a lone wolf. Awwooo.

Seriously, I am trying to figure out what the big deal is and I guess it is the mention of body odor which has everyone wigged out.

The thing is, I don't mind 'light to medium' body odor and actually kind of like it in some cases. I also don't mind the smell of skunk, which I find similar.

If the guy had been American, it's very likely he wouldn't have had any noticeable odor, because it is the American habit to take frequent showers, especially among the economic class of people who are likely to spend thousands and thousands on European travel. So I pegged Mr. Creepy as "continental". What someone might categorize as "virulently stupid" to me is merely an objective observation.

I don't think the people taking offense here understand that other places have other behaviors. Italians think Americans, British and others have filthy habits because they don't use bidets after they poop. They're in every home here and often in offices and even public lavatories. In Germany bidets are quite rare, but instead one finds toilets with shelves so that one can examine what one has produced. Conversely, Italians in a lot of areas leave trash all over the roadsides and beaches, which is disgusting and which I doubt would be tolerated in Germany, where they have you separate your trash for recycling, not just paper/plastic/glass, etc. but into eleven different categories. Did I make the world this way? No, but I find it interesting. Europe is a patchwork quilt, not a melting pot; it's not all so homogenized as in the US.

Discussion Forum > Life in Germany:
I'm wearing sandals and white socks
Relax, take it easy and think how great it is that you live in Germany. They wear white socks with sandals to weddings here.
What makes you so damn sure that THE germans are the only one's doing it or this is supposed to be a typical cultural trait of a german? ... [etc.]
No doubt that some British people wear white socks and sandals - the point is that you look like a numpty, and people will ridicule you for it in England. In Germany, I've seen directors go to meetings wearing a suit, white socks, and sandals, and nobody bats an eyelid.

That noted.. the forum does record the spread of this phenomenon, but one also may distinguish between the TEVA-style sandal, the German-origin but now more global Birkenstock, and mandals that have a certain 'something':
images

kanne52527_fs.jpg

kanne52528_fs.jpg

me, too. thefed.. I like that you stood up for the lady. I just don't want you to get hurt next time.

If Mr. Creepy had a less-than-sexual interest in the statues' boobies he wouldn't have acted so surreptitiously and like he was ashamed; he would have just straightforwardly photographed as many others were doing.

And to the people who didn't like my description .. phooey!. You would make terrible detectives. Hands up all you complainers who think little old ladies shouldn't be searched and that we should do terrorist profiling.... aha!

I honestly don't know what the big deal is.. if I see a guy in an orange or green suit, 99% probability he is Italian. If I see a lady with a teal windbreaker, white sneakers, an eyeshade and a fanny pack, maybe 90% sure she is American. I think people who are so easily offended just like being offended.. so enjoy the heck out of yourselves.

Hm...? I'm not offended. I'm just surprised that a guy would prefer marble boobies over real ones. I guess those German live sex show places really need to firm up their marketing plans a bit more.

boh.. looking back I guess bestwifeever was, for one.. then there was some cryptic kerfluffle about ignoring.

Different countries have different habits!! Not my personal bigotry, bias, or fault.
bestwifeever.. I'll post this for ya.. but I guess you'll not see it..

just some ideas..
Hygiene Poll Bares Source Of the French Je Sais Quoi - New York Times

In the early 1980s Germans remained high spenders on skin creams. The French remained low users of deodorants (and soap) compared to the British and Germans, but far greater consumers of fragrances. Over a quarter of the entire French beauty market was fragrances compared to 8 per cent in Germany, while French per capita consumption was twice that of Britain and Germany.
http://www.international.ucla.edu/cms/files/Geoff_Jones_for_Von_Gremp.pdf

heaven forfend.. one I'm gonna bop you over the head with... and the other I'm gonna offer to bestwife so she can dig a "turkish" toilet for the next time she has guests from abroad.

I skimmed through much of the thread and am now hungry for a bacon something. I also may have missed some points made along the way that may or may not be similar to mine, but it wasn't in the first two or three pages.

I think there is probably a generation gap issue or two here with whether or not "roughing him up" was appropriate action. But the legal issues are important to heed.

However, an alternative way to handle it would be to draw his actions to public attention to embarrass him. Rather loudly say something along the lines of "it's really impolite to take breast shots of my wife to send to your buddies". This embarasses him and opens him to scrutiny of others nearby who may [-]beat him for you[/-] add to the peer pressure of making him stop or be friendly witnesses to a police report if necessary. If the first thing they notice was you grabbing his arm the police report looks a lot different.

If the guy were to try to justify the photos he would be severely outnumbered in the argument. If he tries to dodge the issue and continue taking sneak photos he'll have far more eyes noticing and objecting. It severely limits his effective actions. Laying a hand on him without others noticing why gives him tons of ammunition to use against you in a number of ways socially and legally.

I've found that many people are shy to take the first step of action even if they notice it but will eagerly fall in line to support someone who is bold enough to challenge a perceived wrongdoing, and the issue of how women dress versus how men leer aside, I think you'll get a lot of immediate support in that situation.

Krispy Kreme Bacon Chedder Cheeseburgers?

How about some Krispy Kreme Bacon Chedder Cheeseburgers?

2625223578_ac8907df61.jpg

:dead:

Yuck. not into the sweet salty thing. One or the other not the same time combo.

Wondering if this would have went down the same way if the guy with the phone was a 6'6" Hell's Angel? Or a LA Crip? Or the creep was driving that big Honkin Shovel Thing?

Or did the theFed just spot the one person he could manhandle.

Or did the theFed just spot the one person he could manhandle.

You can be assured thefed would not have roughed up someone who might have challenged the manhandling. He's a street smart guy...... which means only pick on folks weaker than you...... :cool:

Back
Top Bottom