Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Welfare cheaters
Old 04-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Put a little country music in the background, you got yessef a tune.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
By those metrics, we should stop talking about everything else until we wrap our heads around the S&L scandal and the iraqi war ends?
No, but watching Congress waste its time on immigration "reform" that will never happen, gay marriage debates, SS "reform", etc. while there are MUCH bigger fish to fry would be awfully frustrating if I didn't already expect them to spend all their time pissing on each other's heads and remarking about how warm the rain is this time of year.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Put a little country music in the background, you got yessef a tune.
Don't even need the music! It's hilarious as-is ........ and fits the source to a tee!

Old 04-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Dangle
It was bigoted and offensive to characterize low-income workers as Bubbas and Earlenes.
Yeah.........* I've always lived and worked in an ethnically and economically diverse area.* I've been most comfortable keeping slurs out of my vocabulary.* You must know some of those folks who try to only refer to African Americans as "Willy" when they're with whites.* Or only tell Polish jokes when there're with African Americans.* And on and on.* Eventually, they screw up and get punched.* **

I certainly don't have a slur-free vocabulary perfected.* But I try........
Old 04-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

My old next door neighbors names were selma ray and billy bob.

Its only a "slur" if I intend it to be, or if its intentionally taken that way.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My next door neighbor's name is Cletis. He goes by Scotty though.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Not my point... and that was OVER $20 and that was 20 years ago....

The point is that WE were paying for HER having all these kids... WHY?
We actually aren't paying her to have kids...she had the kids and weare paying so the kids, who really are not at fault here, don't have to live in under a bridge, starve and die of preventable diseases that are easily treated...thats what we are paying for.

If you are worried about wasting government money I think you should be looking up, not down. You'll find a lot more waste.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by !
We actually aren't paying her to have kids...she had the kids and weare paying so the kids, who really are not at fault here, don't have to live in under a bridge, starve and die of preventable diseases that are easily treated...thats what we are paying for.

If you are worried about wasting government money I think you should be looking up, not down. You'll find a lot more waste.

Well at least read what I posted correctly... I said we are paying for her having all these kids, not paying her TO HAVE THEM.. a major distinction

And we can all show waste and abuse in the federal government... how about the trillions of dollars that we now owe for prescription drugs.. or the trillions spent to get people out of poverty (the welfare state)... and it is trillions since it started to increase way back in the Johnson administration...

But, I agree... why did we spend so much on Star Wars crap... and we continue to spend money on major weapon systems that do not have an enemy, but this thread is about welfare fraud which does cost a lot...
Old 04-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
but this thread is about welfare fraud which does cost a lot...
Does it? I doubt anyone really knows. Anyone see credible estimates? I'd bet its a far cry from the pork in the last annual budget Congress passed. It is almost without a doubt a fraction of what we piss away in Iraq, let alone the rest of the military budget.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Does it?* I doubt anyone really knows.* Anyone see credible estimates?* I'd bet its a far cry from the pork in the last annual budget Congress passed.* It is almost without a doubt a fraction of what we piss away in Iraq, let alone the rest of the military budget.

As they say, a billion here and a billion there... soon you are talking about real money...

NO, it does not even come close to the military waste... and I doubt people know how much it is... I did a quick Google and could not find anything interesting... they said it cost California about $1.5 billion for fraud... do that for all states and the federal government... it adds up.. again, not close to the war effort, the medicare costs, medicaid cost, prescription drugs, SS.... so, should we not do anything about it
Old 04-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As they say, a billion here and a billion there... soon you are talking about real money...
NO, it does not even come close to the military waste...
The average Navy AEGIS cruiser costs close to a billion dollars and could conceivably stay in service for 30 years without ever shooting a single round of ordnance.

Is that military waste? A federally-subsidized occupational training program? A casualty/property insurance premium? Or a mobile housing project full of welfare cheaters?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's clearly insurance, not waste. Indeed, the fewer rounds fired the better.

But that's not what people generally mean when they complain about pissing money and lives away in Iraq.

Bpp
Old 04-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

I'd call it cost avoidance...
Old 04-12-2006, 12:10 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Speak softly, and carry a BIG stick...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Or use the current policy of speaking loudly, mispronouncing half the words, and hitting everybody with the stick.