What are you afraid of?

I have an intense fear of being confined, especially in crowded spaces (agoraphobia). This is something I developed quite suddenly in my late 20s. Elevators, public transportation/flying, concerts or sporting events, traffic jams, even crowded waiting rooms all get my heart racing. But I just suck it up. I live in a high rise building (elevator ride required) at the heart of one of America's most densely populated cities. I mainly use public transportation to get around, even the dreaded subway. And I just came back from a trip that required a 12-hour flight packed with strangers.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

One other fear I have is not being able to get my bag into an overhead bin when flying.

Having to go into a nursing home,dont even want to think about it.

When my son was about 8 we asked the same question.
He was afraid of and I quote. "Massive Farts" LOL
Old Mike

I have several fears:

1. Fear of snakes and spiders: both those things creep me out.

2. Fear of heights.

3. Fear of sitting on the toilet while watching a spider crawl towards me (a primal fear)?

4. Biggest fear: being married to Sarah Silverman (another primal fear)?

May I ask if this has been a life-long thing or something that happened later in life? I used to have no problems flying but now I cannot get on an airplane due to the feeling of being buried alive. Silly I know. Nothing to do with "how does it stay in the air" or "What if we crash". It's the claustrophobia after flying for 30 yrs.

At almost 59 I'm now experiencing the same thing. Planes, crowded elevators, even the backseat of a small car and I become nervous. Fortunately after flying weekly I now just drive everywhere in a large crew cab pickup. Not too practical but at least I am able to cope with it.

My fears:

Drowning - I don't know how to swim, so this is probably my #1 fear.
Heights - I don't like heights, although I don't mind flying. In fact, I want to get my pilot's license sometime this year.
Spiders - I love the Spider Identification Chart the OP posted :)

Heights - I don't like heights, although I don't mind flying. In fact, I want to get my pilot's license sometime this year.

That initially puzzled me too. I enjoy flying and even like acrobatics in an airplane. But I hate getting up on a ladder to clean gutters or hang a ceiling fan. Go figure.

Something happening to my daughter or my grandsons . The skyway bridge .
I love going over that bridge - amazing view. Can't think of anything I'm afraid of, maybe Alzheimer's, though I have no family history of that, so I don't really worry about it.

May I ask if this has been a life-long thing or something that happened later in life? I used to have no problems flying but now I cannot get on an airplane due to the feeling of being buried alive. Silly I know. Nothing to do with "how does it stay in the air" or "What if we crash". It's the claustrophobia after flying for 30 yrs.

Yeah... well, I'm not sure. As a kid, maybe 7 years old, some of the neighborhood bullies squished me, head first, into a small galvanized barrel... closed the lid, and rolled me around the street... screaming, terrified panic.

After that, not too bad except for dreams.

Next time... in a canoe, with my son maybe 1974. A tributary of the DuPage River, ( Chicago suburbs) where it ran under route 88. They used two 7 foot steel tubes to run the river under the 6 lanes of highway. We were riding the river after a storm, and there was 2 feet of water in the tubes... enough to ride through, but with the water moving quite fast. Shoulda checked it out, but didn't. Rode the canoe quickly through to the end on a fast current, and came up against vertical steel bars, as in a jail... No way out... Occasionally still dream about that kind of thing. BTW... we struggled and made it back alive.

Last bad experience... and I too, spent a lot of time flying before retiring.... was on a DC9, I think... Chicago to LA... 3-5-3 seating, and I was midplane and middle of the "5"....Sitting next to a 350 lb lady, and a 6ft+ 275lb man... both asleep. Started sweating, then eyes glazed and began to shake. Panic and into the aisle, climbing over bodies. Stewardess... "You can't stand in the aisle, Sir"! Then, pity... she understood... moved to first class, double martini, and the world gradually returned to normal.

One more... the next and last flight... end of my pre-retirement... Oakland to Portland to give an important presentation at a big meeting...same damned seat... Lady with a crying baby... Me trying to soothe the 6 month old... Little begger threw up all over me... and into my suit coat pocket.

This could go on forever... would someone begin a thread "Flying Adventures" :confused::confused:
Am sure others here have had moments of terror or humor in the years of flying... Deserves separate treatment. :flowers:

Last edited:
The usual - Alzheimer's, blindness, paralysis, anything that takes away the ability to make my own decisions and act on them.

Fear of falling is generally built in as Rich said. When we went on the zip line tour last spring the hardest part was overcoming that and stepping off the platform. Dunno what my pulse rate was but I'm sure it was through the roof. Two seconds later I was having a ball.

Fear of fire is another primal one - every animal is afraid of that. At least the sane ones are.

Might be related to the difference between the "Fear of Falling" and the "Fear of Heights".

Fear of falling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Acrophobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't have a fear of heights, or even a fear of falling. I do have a perfectly reasonable fear of landing.

I don't think a fear of fire is primal. I think in animals it's a caution about the unknown. I've seen raccoons and skunks walk right up to a campfire trying to find out what smells so good (burgers and dogs, etc). I know I personally love fire. I'm always the guy on the camping trip that's building up the campfire. DW and I have been known to bring a bucket of chicken and drinks to watch fire departments burn down buildings. Fire is your friend.

I had a fear of calling folks up on the phone. At my job I answered calls, and I even volunteered to take fundraising calls for the symphony. It took me over a year before I called Ms.G for our first date. Well Ms.G would always do the heavy lifting for me until one day. I found a volunteer activity that was really important to me, Ms. G said make the call yourself. It worked, later I was thinking what a silly guy I was, I may have missed out on a chance of a lifetime project that shaped who I am today.

Rats

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

1) My boyfriend dying early (he is 17 years older than I).
2) My cats dying early. They are my only kids.
3) Me dying early. All that hard work for nothing.
4) My 2 sets of parents wanting to live with us & support them....in our 800 SF house someday. None of them have worked & saved enough. One set is so far in debt & will never change their ways. The other set has not had real jobs since they were in their 40's, and I don't think they have the assets to ER. Ugh!

Sent from my EVO using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Bears

I tried to make a lot of noise when walking trails in Yellowstone.
Did the same thing after doing the trails at the Great Smoky Mountain National Park

drowning and dementia are big ones too

Large stray dogs. Encountering one while out for a walk will always trigger a feeling of panic.

Large stray dogs. Encountering one while out for a walk will always trigger a feeling of panic.

Oh yeah, any stray dog. I think this is a pretty rational fear.

Whatever is in Room 101!

Babies - way scarier than spiders, snakes, or large stray dogs. The worst they can do is bite you, but a baby can set back early retirement by five years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom