What are you afraid of?

We-are-here-to-help-you-sleep.jpg

Death or what comes after.

Rats.

My golf clubs - they have mind of their own.

Mountain lions and bears. Especially when I go outside on a very dark night. We have both up here. I have seen mountain lion tracks in the snow around my motor home and I have seen mountain lions in the area. Plenty of bear problems in the area with cabin and trailer break-ins. I think some fear of them is probably healthy.

Oh yeah, any stray dog. I think this is a pretty rational fear.

I think they all seem rational to the person who is afraid. I'm not afraid of stray dogs, so it doesn't seem all that rational. Actually I tend to call them and pet them, if they come to me. But I'm afraid of small enclosed spaces, so that one seems rational to me. I know people who are afraid of driving across high bridges, which seems absurd to me. But it makes perfect sense to them.

I think they all seem rational to the person who is afraid. I'm not afraid of stray dogs, so it doesn't seem all that rational. Actually I tend to call them and pet them, if they come to me. But I'm afraid of small enclosed spaces, so that one seems rational to me. I know people who are afraid of driving across high bridges, which seems absurd to me. But it makes perfect sense to them.

Those are rational fears too imo--but you probably don't worry that they can smell fear and outrun you. Or maybe you do :LOL:. Now that would be a great phobia for a movie.

FIL was petrified of small enclosed spaces but as a funeral director he was close to caskets and graves. He needed heavy sedation for MRIs etc.

I think they all seem rational to the person who is afraid. I'm not afraid of stray dogs, so it doesn't seem all that rational... But I'm afraid of small enclosed spaces, so that one seems rational to me. I know people who are afraid of driving across high bridges, which seems absurd to me. But it makes perfect sense to them.

How does being afraid of enclosed small spaces seem rational to you?

I become anxious when driving across high (or even semi-high) bridges. Actually, a bridge of any height makes me anxious. None of this makes perfect sense to me as I realize (and understand) that almost everybody has made it across these bridges forever.

I walked across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge once (part of a sponsored group walk). This is a bridge many people are so afraid to drive across, they actually hire other people to drive them. I remember there were openings where you could see the water right through the span :eek: but, while careful to walk around them, I wasn't scared that I was going to slip and fall through.

Now, collections of small holes (trypophobia)...while they don't actually scare me, I find them so disturbing that I didn't dare post a link. My Mother had this phobia worse than I do...she could not stand to look at a bee's honeycomb.

Also, I cannot watch bloody/cruel scenes in movies, even though in real life, I am not scared of blood or injuries and am pretty good at first aid.I think the movie issue is that I am helpless to stop the suffering, while with first aid, at least I am doing something for the hurt person.

The human mind...what a puzzle.

Amethyst

I become anxious when driving across high (or even semi-high) bridges. Actually, a bridge of any height makes me anxious. None of this makes perfect sense to me as I realize (and understand) that almost everybody has made it across these bridges forever.

Well, sometimes it is perfectly rational as with the Takoma Narrows bridge. That one would scare me!

I am not ascared of bridges it's the crocs I worry about.

100_1857.jpg

Metal grates in sidewalks. I refuse to walk on them.

Buried alive. Recent trip to Utah had us drive through a very long tunnel cut into the mountain (if I remember right it was a mile or so). There were 'windows' cut into the mountain every so often but I had to close my eyes as we went through...just typing this is making my pulse race!

This is a fairly recent thing for me. No idea what triggered it but it's bad. The thought of going through something like the Chunnel is horrifying!

Mackinac Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On September 22, 1989, Leslie Ann Pluhar died when her 1987 Yugo plunged over the 36-inch-high (91 cm) railing. A combination of high winds and excessive speed was initially blamed.[24] Later investigation showed the driver had stopped her car over the open steel grating on the bridge's span and that a gust of wind through the grating blew her vehicle off the bridge,

Lately it has been unseen pin-point water leaks in the home's copper pipes. Sure, you can find one of them after stepping on soggy carpet when getting out of bed in the morning, but are there others lurking elsewhere or about to spring up?

Buried alive. Recent trip to Utah had us drive through a very long tunnel cut into the mountain (if I remember right it was a mile or so). There were 'windows' cut into the mountain every so often but I had to close my eyes as we went through...just typing this is making my pulse race!

This is a fairly recent thing for me. No idea what triggered it but it's bad. The thought of going through something like the Chunnel is horrifying!

when I was younger I had this fear. What 'cured' it for me was when I really went underground, as in a mine several thousand feet underground. Once I realized that there is no difference to my brain whether I'm underground 2 feet or 2000 feet, I relaxed quite a bit about that buried alive thing.

Although those windows they put in shallow tunnels do seem like they are meant just to mess with people who don't want to see how much rock is above them.

Buried alive. Recent trip to Utah had us drive through a very long tunnel cut into the mountain (if I remember right it was a mile or so).

You would not like the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. Almost a mile and a half, under water. No windows. Use I-695, Baltimore Beltway, instead.

Pennsylvania also has a bunch of tunnels bored through mountains on state routes but I don't remember any of those being near a mile though.

Losing my wife. She's a 10 year ovarian cancer survivor, but I'm always afraid it'll return.

For critters, snakes give me nightmares.

Losing my wife. She's a 10 year ovarian cancer survivor, but I'm always afraid it'll return.

Dashman, you made me cry. Even though most of us can't understand some of the fears that people have posted; I think all of us can understand this fear.

when I was younger I had this fear. What 'cured' it for me was when I really went underground, as in a mine several thousand feet underground. Once I realized that there is no difference to my brain whether I'm underground 2 feet or 2000 feet, I relaxed quite a bit about that buried alive thing.

Although those windows they put in shallow tunnels do seem like they are meant just to mess with people who don't want to see how much rock is above them.

I think that's why I am not afraid of heights. Back when I was a Cub Scout we had to do some obstacle course thing that included walking across a board up on a ladder, similar to a gymnastics beam. I was afraid to do it, so my neighbor's dad (didn't have one of my own) took the board, set it on the ground, and asked me if I could walk across it then. Of course I could, so he put it back up and said it's the same thing. Made sense to my little 8 y.o. mind, so off I went. Now I'm aware of things like wind and such, but basically I can hang my toes off a ledge and no problems. DW screams at me to get away from the edge, but I laugh.

I have no fear of being underground, just in a tight enclosed space. A mine with a decent sized tunnel would be fine. A hallway that presses on my back and chest at the same time would freak me out.

I fear our present politicians, bureaucrats who work for them, and those who would vote for them. Those purporting to run this country are hardly in compliance with their oath to the Constitution.

Dashman, you made me cry. Even though most of us can't understand some of the fears that people have posted; I think all of us can understand this fear.

+1,000,000,000,000,000 and change

Back
Top Bottom