What did you get for "Free" today .. or some other day?

I'm still working at my academic job. There are too many celebrations to count at this place, complete with excellent appetizers, desserts, and booze. Yes it is a private university so we get lots of wine and beer. Anyway it is rather amazing how many times, especially at the end of the year, the late afternoon celebrations turn into both "free" lunch and dinner for me for the day. Not a bad perk. The downside is that there is usually some rah rah speech from an administrator or two to endure before eating, drinking, and socializing.

In the mail today was a check for $60.19 which was the settlement of an AT&T Mobility class action suit that I didn't know I was a member of.:confused:

Recently, my brother got a check for a few $K out of the blue (I forget how much), that he did not know anything about.

It turned out it was the result of a class-action suit settlement, accusing Google, Apple, and some other Silicon Valley of collusion to hold down employee salary.

IHG Mastercard - I signed up and will be getting 80,000 points after spending $1,000 in three months and a free room each year. (I have 200K IHG points already and 300K points in Mariott). Annual fee is $49.

I'll have enough hotel room points to be able to post in the "travel" thread with the high rollers here. :LOL:

I was not billed for my diabetes drug after I changed insurance plans at the start of this year. Not sure if the drug, a Tier 2 drug, was reclassified or not because in the drug plan description the copay dropped from $50 per month to zero (which is what Tier 1 drugs cost). This is a $600 savings per year, pretty good stuff.

In the mail today was a check for $60.19 which was the settlement of an AT&T Mobility class action suit that I didn't know I was a member of.:confused:

$60? Dang!! I only got $17. And I thought I had the highest AT&T bills.

Chase Freedom Visa is giving us 5% cash back for spending at grocery stores and wholesale clubs April - June. The max is $75 cash back ($1500 spending), which we will hit easily. The 5% bonuses are already showing up on the statements.

I got one of those "class action suit checks" a few weeks ago but it was from a Farmers Insurance suit, which I didn't know I was part of. I think it was for ~$90. Over the years, I got a few of these from different suits but they were usually for just a few dollars.

IHG Mastercard - I signed up and will be getting 80,000 points after spending $1,000 in three months and a free room each year. (I have 200K IHG points already and 300K points in Mariott). Annual fee is $49.

I'll have enough hotel room points to be able to post in the "travel" thread with the high rollers here. :LOL:

That's one of my favorite cards! Easy to find good hotels for low redemptions. Good job!

Free cup of coffee at Sheetz, a gas pump chain in PA, every tenth cup is on the house, plus 3 cents off every galllon of gas. It is a very convenient stop along the way to my mancave.

Free Winery tour and wine tasting at the Messina Hof Winery ("Free" with $600 two night stay at their onsite bed and breakfast).

We have some really good wine up here.

As a wine club member I can go to the Cinder tasting room and drink an infinite amount of wine for free, in theory.

In the spirit of the thread. Went to the gym with DW, we go three times weekly. I learned any extra weight we use is free. I upped several machines 5-10 pounds after figuring that out. Hey in the last 6 months I've doubled how much weight I can lift, all costs the same.☺

That sucks. It probably included that plastic container.

It's what I paid for and didn't get:

I mean who stole the 30 grams of burger? I'm ticked, that's not even 15 ounces, it says 16. Now I have to go buy another one and weigh it. I only use the scale to divide up patties, thought I was going wacko as the numbers weren't adding up right. Well if the total is off I guess it won't divide proper.

Yeah, maybe she was a new employee and didn't push the "tare" button?

Two small concrete slabs from a Craigslist ad. One of them is now being used as a pad on the lawn for barbecuing, where I was wearing out the grass standing. Haven't figured out where to use the other one yet.

I won an iPad auction at Ebay. The seller said he will give me a "free" tempered glass screen protector for the iPad, so the iPad screen will be protected from scratches. And he also offered 'Free shipping'. Hopefully I should get it in 2 days.

I ordered an Indian meal here and we paid for 37.50 GBP by credit card. He bought the machine to our table and swiped the amount, no tip was necessary. So I guess I got free tip, equivalent of 5 GBP.

I ordered an Indian meal here and we paid for 37.50 GBP by credit card. He bought the machine to our table and swiped the amount, no tip was necessary. So I guess I got free tip, equivalent of 5 GBP.

In Europe we always left the modest tip in cash on the table. They almost never had a way to add the tip via credit card.

The tipping is extremely modest by US standards. And none is acceptable - i.e. not considered a complaint.

In Europe we always left the modest tip in cash on the table. They almost never had a way to add the tip via credit card.

The tipping is extremely modest by US standards. And none is acceptable - i.e. not considered a complaint.

I used to do that but I didn't have any cash with me. But I've decided, when in Rome do what the Romans do.

Got a free ride to the airport by signing up for Uber through Chase.

First time using it and I must say it's way better than a cab.

Even without the free benefit Uber would have been surprisingly cheap ($12). With a cab I'd expect to pay $20-30 for the same distance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I used to do that but I didn't have any cash with me. But I've decided, when in Rome do what the Romans do.

In traveling in Europe I always collect a bunch of 1€ and 2€ coins, because it seems like i need them everywhere - including those darn ticket machines.

This is a hobby of mine so in a really good month I'll get $2K worth of free stuff or deep discounts. The majority of it comes from product reviews, get paid to apps, comp tickets, Entertainment book coupons and credit card bonuses and points.

I also sign up for all sorts of newsletters using a free email account. Usually there is something useful every day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom