What do you pay for a haircut?

My wife cuts my hair for free. Haven't been to a barber in a few years.

wahl clippers from target lasted me 5 years so far....once a week i shave it off....

Just the cost of the electricity to run the clippers and vacuum cleaner to clean up afterwards...I cut my own with a set of clippers. I have very straight short hair and was paying someone $15 + tip to cut my hair up until 2 years ago. One time it didn't come out as well as I'd hoped so I took out the clippers to even it out. I've been doing my own haircuts ever since...saves me about $140 per year.

I'm impressed with how many in this group cut (or shave) their own hair. When I suggest it to my DW, she acts like I've asked her to do brain surgery on me or something. :confused:

So, I pay $10 every couple months, no tip. (Full disclosure: DW & DD go to same guy, and they pay a whole lot more, plus a nice tip.)

He used to charge me $12 ten or fifteen years ago. But one day he said it would be $10, something about there not being enough hair anymore to justify the full $12. I hadn't noticed, but maybe he knows what he's talking about, he's the pro.

I'm surprised nobody has one of these (or tried to rig their own version):
Flowbee Info and Testimonials
webproduct%20shot%20copy.jpg

hehe, i swear, my dad had one to cut the dog's hair...poor puppy...

I had a thingy made to cut animal hair with that used a vacuum. Looked like a blow dryer but worked in reverse and had a spinning blade inside of it with a slotted guard over it.. Used to use it on the old himalayan cat we had before the poor thing passed away. I'd take her down to about 1/2" when summer rolled around, she'd grow it right back out again by late fall.

$12 plus a $5 tip.

Recently, I've been thinking more and more about buying a pair of clippers goin' for the #4 look.

I really wasn't planning on having a full head of hair at this point in my life. Dad was bald by 30, older brother bald by 30 and younger brother balding at 22. Guess I got the good genes.

OK, this is one area where I don't skimp...spend $105 every 8 to 10 weeks for hi-lights, cut, and blow dry. That's around $630/yr if I go every 8 weeks. :eek: I try to stretch it out as long as I can, but those darn roots get the best of me!

I'm thinking of trying one of those root touch-up kits. My friend knows someone who does this at about the 6 week mark, and it works well enough that she can go 12 weeks before needing professional lites again.

The way my hair has been thinning and hairline receding, I would have thought the price of my haircuts would go down. But I am still paying $12 a pop. But I only go about once every 2 months so I guess I can afford it.

:(

I had a thingy made to cut animal hair with that used a vacuum. Looked like a blow dryer but worked in reverse and had a spinning blade inside of it with a slotted guard over it.. Used to use it on the old himalayan cat we had before the poor thing passed away.

um, what did it die of, a heart attack?

OK, this is one area where I don't skimp...spend $105 every 8 to 10 weeks for hi-lights, cut, and blow dry. That's around $630/yr if I go every 8 weeks. :eek: I try to stretch it out as long as I can, but those darn roots get the best of me!

I'm thinking of trying one of those root touch-up kits. My friend knows someone who does this at about the 6 week mark, and it works well enough that she can go 12 weeks before needing professional lites again.

Hi simple girl,

You might want to give it at least one try. The modern hair color kits are pretty easy to use. I was spending big bucks on haircolor and hair cuts for years. Then my hair stylist quit this past summer. I hate changing stylists!! My mom suggested that I try doing it myself. She recommended the Revlon Colorspa line because it washes out after 28 shampoos so you can't permanently screw up your hair. I read the package inserts for many systems and picked one to try. I got a lot of compliments both at work and from family on how nice it looked.

I had my husband cut my hair to see how that would work. First cut was great. Second cut, well, thank goodness my hair grows out quickly. Jury is still out on that one. But I can do the coloring myself now! My thinking is that when I retire early I plan to do a lot of travel and I don't want to be tied down to my hair stylists' schedule.

Cheers!
--Linney

um, what did it die of, a heart attack?

Actually she liked her haircuts. Poor thing suffered in the heat with the long hair. The unit itself was almost completely silent and I had it hooked to a 20' hose to the central house vac.

But I think she did have a heart attack. She was pretty darn old when she showed up on our doorstep...I'm guessing 15 or 16. She lived another 6.5 years and that was one decrepit, albeit happy cat. She caught her claws in a rug (old cats have trouble retracting), and trying to get herself loose I think she panicked a little and had a heart attack.

I have been cutting my own with clippers and scissors....was 11 bucks a shot when I was having it done....no flowbee;)

Wow, this is the 2nd thread that I have seen suggesting tipping the mailman:eek: I wonder what REW got his guy this year:)

I pay $10 for the average haircut, since I am just an average Joe. I still have a full head of hair. You would think the barber shops would pro-rate or discount for the half head hair folks. Wearing a hat all the time hides a head that needs a haircut. That's a good tip from Redbug... What's the difference between a good and a bad haircut? (Answer's at the bottom of my post)...

I have wondered about those Flobee's, also. Are they as good as advertised? We also have a long haired cat named Sammy Cat. He was a stray I picked up out at the Hunt Club. That Flobee might be just the ticket for the two of us. Sammy Cat may decide once is enough, though. He likes being "broomed", but not vaccumed.

Boy, I'm glad I'm not a woman. That's a lot of money to have to spend in a lifetime for hair. Our society sure makes some awful demands...

We gave the mailman a bottle of wine for Xmas. He's real nice and another Federal employee. We compare benefits, sometimes. I hope all the mail got delivered that day...

A= About two weeks.

Last edited:
Hi simple girl,

You might want to give it at least one try. The modern hair color kits are pretty easy to use. I was spending big bucks on haircolor and hair cuts for years. Then my hair stylist quit this past summer. I hate changing stylists!! My mom suggested that I try doing it myself. She recommended the Revlon Colorspa line because it washes out after 28 shampoos so you can't permanently screw up your hair. I read the package inserts for many systems and picked one to try. I got a lot of compliments both at work and from family on how nice it looked.

I had my husband cut my hair to see how that would work. First cut was great. Second cut, well, thank goodness my hair grows out quickly. Jury is still out on that one. But I can do the coloring myself now! My thinking is that when I retire early I plan to do a lot of travel and I don't want to be tied down to my hair stylists' schedule.

Cheers!
--Linney

I'd love to be able to do it myself. However, I prefer a highlighted look over an all one color look. Plus, I'm a blonde (dark blonde), and when I did the all over color at the salon they had to do a double process on my hair (lift and tone). I've heard that type of process is really tough on your hair. My hair is really fine so I don't want to damage it excessively. Highlights are less damaging to the hair since all the hair isn't lightened.

However, highlights are really tough to do (It takes my stylist an hour just to put my hair in all the individual foils. She does LOTS of foils so that the sections are small, and it blends really well. I had one stylist -if you can call her that - who didn't do that, and I ended up looking like a blonde skunk!). So, I don't think I could completely go without a professional, but if I can manage to highlight just my roots (doing the part area only) perhaps that will reduce costs. I really hate spending so much money on it but I feel like crap when my hair looks like crap!

Maybe when I am retired someday I'll be more adventurous with coloring on my own...nothing like screwing up your hair and having to face all your coworkers the next day!

I do cut my own bangs periodically as needed. I had my DH cut the back (I have long straight hair) for me once. Ok, it's just straight across, shouldn't be tough, right? Let's just say that experiment didn't go well!

I'm sure this is all TMI for the guys on the list!

OK, I call myself simple girl, but I'll admit I'm not so simple when it comes to my hair:rolleyes:

simple girl;594003 it but I feel like crap when my hair looks like crap! r:rolleyes:[/quote said:
Me Too ! I spend way too much on my hair but I've seen some pretty awful dye jobs and I'm not ready to go gray or whatever color is under there .

I'd love to be able to do it myself. However, I prefer a highlighted look over an all one color look. Plus, I'm a blonde (dark blonde), and when I did the all over color at the salon they had to do a double process on my hair (lift and tone). I've heard that type of process is really tough on your hair. My hair is really fine so I don't want to damage it excessively. Highlights are less damaging to the hair since all the hair isn't lightened.

However, highlights are really tough to do (It takes my stylist an hour just to put my hair in all the individual foils. She does LOTS of foils so that the sections are small, and it blends really well. I had one stylist -if you can call her that - who didn't do that, and I ended up looking like a blonde skunk!). So, I don't think I could completely go without a professional, but if I can manage to highlight just my roots (doing the part area only) perhaps that will reduce costs. I really hate spending so much money on it but I feel like crap when my hair looks like crap!

Maybe when I am retired someday I'll be more adventurous with coloring on my own...nothing like screwing up your hair and having to face all your coworkers the next day!

I do cut my own bangs periodically as needed. I had my DH cut the back (I have long straight hair) for me once. Ok, it's just straight across, shouldn't be tough, right? Let's just say that experiment didn't go well!

I'm sure this is all TMI for the guys on the list!

OK, I call myself simple girl, but I'll admit I'm not so simple when it comes to my hair:rolleyes:

yeah, that does not sound like a do-it-yourself job!

(presume I made some clever comment about cuffs and collars here)

(try as I might, I cant seem to get myself into trouble lately...)

Actually, I did the overall color and then I did the highlights on top of that. My stylist has always done both so having a solid color doesn't look right to me. The home kits don't require foils. You can apply the highlights for just a touch-up or you can do it throughout your whole head of hair. It took me about 30 minutes the first time, going slowly and methodically.

I'm an engineering manager so showing up with clean hair more than meets the job expectations here. :)

If my hair stylist hadn't quit, I would NEVER have tried to do this on my own. I'm like you -- my hair affects my mood. I'm sure glad this little experiment worked out (thanks mom!)

--Linney

Current guy I use charges $12. He has a price chart that reads "$10 for age 60 and over". Just 6 1/2 more years for a price reduction. Who says inflation is the only thing I have to look forward to? :)

Back
Top Bottom