what do you pay for corned beef?

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
St. Patricks day is tommorrow and I bought some brisket at the store for 2.49 per pd. this is usda choice flat cut. I was wondering how the price differs in different areas of the country. we are in the midwest. what did you pay?

St. Patricks day is tommorrow and I bought some brisket at the store for 2.49 per pd. this is usda choice flat cut. I was wondering how the price differs in different areas of the country. we are in the midwest. what did you pay?

Same price at ALDI's around here, but other stores have flat cut over $4/lb.

Being Irish myself, I would never think to make corned beef and cabbage, which is an American invention. I'm celebrating St. Patrick's Day next week by having some friends over and I am making Irish stew, with lamb. I'm going to leave out the potatoes and serve the stew with colcannon. Our appetizer will be smoked salmon on Irish soda bread.

Beannachtaí Lá Fhéile Phádraig daoibh go léir!

Is Corned Beef Really Irish? | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian

Last edited:
According to the Smithsonian, the Irish invented corned beef (and became the global leader). The cabbage was added by kosher butchers in the US. mostly immigrants from Eastern Europe.
Yet, the corned beef the Irish immigrants ate was much different than that produced in Ireland 200 years prior. The Irish immigrants almost solely bought their meat from kosher butchers. And what we think of today as Irish corned beef is actually Jewish corned beef thrown into a pot with cabbage and potatoes. The Jewish population in New York City at the time were relatively new immigrants from Eastern and Central Europe. The corned beef they made was from brisket, a kosher cut of meat from the front of the cow. Since brisket is a tougher cut, the salting and cooking processes transformed the meat into the extremely tender, flavorful corned beef we know of today.
Very interesting link. Nonetheless, I'll stick with pastrami and drink my toast to St Patrick (with some Knappogue Castle).

According to the Smithsonian, the Irish invented corned beef (and became the global leader). The cabbage was added by kosher butchers in the US. mostly immigrants from Eastern Europe.

Yes, but Irish corned beef was exported. Most Irish people in those days were too poor to afford it!

Cabbage is a very popular vegetable in Ireland (see colcannon, which is a mixture of potatoes and cabbage). It was the Irish-Americans who added cabbage to the kosher beef they were able to afford in the US.

Last edited:
Being Irish myself, I would never think to make corned beef and cabbage, which is an American invention. I'm celebrating St. Patrick's Day next week by having some friends over and I am making Irish stew, with lamb. I'm going to leave out the potatoes and serve the stew with colcannon. Our appetizer will be smoked salmon on Irish soda bread.

Good article.

Never heard of corned beef ever when growing up. Saw it for the first time when I got to the US.

Never heard of corned beef ever when growing up. Saw it for the first time when I got to the US.

Yes, I had never heard of it growing up either. I first encountered it on a trip to Boston to visit my American relatives.

Funny you mention it. This is the first time I noticed the packages marked as different cuts. And then I noticed prices mostly ranged from ~ $4-$5 /#, which seemed high to me, but my memory is not good for such things, as we don't buy it often (always around St [-]Patty's[/-] edit: "Paddy" or "Patrick" 's day, and I try to remember to buy it at least once/year at other times, cause it is sooooo good).

Then I noticed some other packs that were (ahh, my receipt is right here) $1.99/#.

At first I'm thinking - don't be cheap, get the higher priced stuff. But then I figured why, I bet the $2 is good too. So I bought it, served it last night and it was great.

I think the cuts were something like 'flat', 'point' and this was labelled something like 35% point? So is that 35% fat content? But CB is expected to be fatty, and much of that comes out with the simmer.

Glad I bought plenty of extra, we make a second meal of rueben sandwiches, and I'll have some with an egg for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, etc.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I bought my corned beef at Costco. It was $2.77 a lb. I put it in the freezer for later in the year.

It is labeled flat cut choice corned beef brisket.

Last edited:
I'm half Irish (half-kiss me!) whose great grandparents emigrated from Ireland, and I don't think I tasted corned beef until I was 16. Now potatoes.... It didn't really occur to me to buy corned beef for St Pat's Day--and the actual day this year is a lenten no-meat day so fish and potatoes it is!

I had to look up colcannon (sounds great!), but I'd definitely stop by next week if I were invited :D:D

I think we bought the corned beef in February on sale for $3.99, not a cheap as what most of you paid. We did get the cabbage for .15 cents a pound this week. I make my own sauerkraut and made a note to buy it next year this time. It takes six big cabbages, so I'll be able to make a batch for $3.00 plus pickling salt and labor.

Please don't call it St. Patty's Day! There is no St. Patty.

Please Don't Call It St. Patty's Day - ABC News

Sorry! That crossed my mind after I posted that maybe that was not proper for the true Irish. Hey, but this is an Eastern-European-American who eats Corned Beef & Cabbage this week! So maybe it's OK for me to say "St. Paddy's", it's just not OK for you to say it?

Regardless, if there is time left, I will edit the post. :flowers:

Hah - looking at that link, it says "St. Paddy" is acceptable, and I think I wrote that first, but that sounded too slang-ish and I changed it to "Patty" before posting! I should have left it. Live and learn, but I'll forget by next year! :LOL:

-ERD50

Last edited:
Last edited:
I like corned beef a lot, now that you mention it. I haven't bought any in years so I really don't know how much it costs around here.

I saw a coupon for corned beef $1.79 at Albertsons, I asked my husband if he wanted to eat corned beef, and he said no. So that's the end of that.

Sorry! That crossed my mind after I posted that maybe that was not proper for the true Irish. Hey, but this is an Eastern-European-American who eats Corned Beef & Cabbage this week! So maybe it's OK for me to say "St. Paddy's", it's just not OK for you to say it?

Regardless, if there is time left, I will edit the post. :flowers:

Hah - looking at that link, it says "St. Paddy" is acceptable, and I think I wrote that first, but that sounded too slang-ish and I changed it to "Patty" before posting! I should have left it. Live and learn, but I'll forget by next year! :LOL:

-ERD50

Patty is a girl, Paddy is a boy. It's perfectly acceptable to call it Paddy's Day or St. Paddy's Day or St. Patrick's Day.

Also, four leafed clovers have no place in this story. The point was that St. Patrick used the three leafed shamrock to illustrate the concept of the Holy Trinity.

Patty is a girl, Paddy is a boy. It's perfectly acceptable to call it Paddy's Day or St. Paddy's Day or St. Patrick's Day.

Also, four leafed clovers have no place in this story. The point was that St. Patrick used the three leafed shamrock to illustrate the concept of the Holy Trinity.
I'm guessing here that since Padraig (pronounced paw rig) is the Gaelic name for Patrick that why it's Paddy.

Corned beef and cabbage is not Irish food but American food. That does not mean it has to be bad.

I did not realize tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day. My wife did not know either. Guess we will go buy some corned beef later today. Thanks for reminding.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom