Join Early Retirement Today

what do you pay for corned beef?
Old 03-16-2017, 06:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what do you pay for corned beef?

St. Patricks day is tommorrow and I bought some brisket at the store for 2.49 per pd. this is usda choice flat cut. I was wondering how the price differs in different areas of the country. we are in the midwest. what did you pay?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2017, 06:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
St. Patricks day is tommorrow and I bought some brisket at the store for 2.49 per pd. this is usda choice flat cut. I was wondering how the price differs in different areas of the country. we are in the midwest. what did you pay?
Same price at ALDI's around here, but other stores have flat cut over $4/lb.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:36 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Being Irish myself, I would never think to make corned beef and cabbage, which is an American invention. I'm celebrating St. Patrick's Day next week by having some friends over and I am making Irish stew, with lamb. I'm going to leave out the potatoes and serve the stew with colcannon. Our appetizer will be smoked salmon on Irish soda bread.

Beannachtaí Lá Fhéile Phádraig daoibh go léir!

Is Corned Beef Really Irish? | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #4

This is probably the best time of year to find sale prices on supermarket corned beef.

But it's easy to make it yourself and you'll like it better. Here's a good guide to doing that:
Making Corned Beef from Scratch
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
Administrator

According to the Smithsonian, the Irish invented corned beef (and became the global leader). The cabbage was added by kosher butchers in the US. mostly immigrants from Eastern Europe.
Quote:
Yet, the corned beef the Irish immigrants ate was much different than that produced in Ireland 200 years prior. The Irish immigrants almost solely bought their meat from kosher butchers. And what we think of today as Irish corned beef is actually Jewish corned beef thrown into a pot with cabbage and potatoes. The Jewish population in New York City at the time were relatively new immigrants from Eastern and Central Europe. The corned beef they made was from brisket, a kosher cut of meat from the front of the cow. Since brisket is a tougher cut, the salting and cooking processes transformed the meat into the extremely tender, flavorful corned beef we know of today.
Very interesting link. Nonetheless, I'll stick with pastrami and drink my toast to St Patrick (with some Knappogue Castle).
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
According to the Smithsonian, the Irish invented corned beef (and became the global leader). The cabbage was added by kosher butchers in the US. mostly immigrants from Eastern Europe.
Yes, but Irish corned beef was exported. Most Irish people in those days were too poor to afford it!

Cabbage is a very popular vegetable in Ireland (see colcannon, which is a mixture of potatoes and cabbage). It was the Irish-Americans who added cabbage to the kosher beef they were able to afford in the US.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Being Irish myself, I would never think to make corned beef and cabbage, which is an American invention. I'm celebrating St. Patrick's Day next week by having some friends over and I am making Irish stew, with lamb. I'm going to leave out the potatoes and serve the stew with colcannon. Our appetizer will be smoked salmon on Irish soda bread.

Good article.

Never heard of corned beef ever when growing up. Saw it for the first time when I got to the US.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Never heard of corned beef ever when growing up. Saw it for the first time when I got to the US.
Yes, I had never heard of it growing up either. I first encountered it on a trip to Boston to visit my American relatives.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Funny you mention it. This is the first time I noticed the packages marked as different cuts. And then I noticed prices mostly ranged from ~ $4-$5 /#, which seemed high to me, but my memory is not good for such things, as we don't buy it often (always around St Patty's edit: "Paddy" or "Patrick" 's day, and I try to remember to buy it at least once/year at other times, cause it is sooooo good).

Then I noticed some other packs that were (ahh, my receipt is right here) $1.99/#.

At first I'm thinking - don't be cheap, get the higher priced stuff. But then I figured why, I bet the $2 is good too. So I bought it, served it last night and it was great.

I think the cuts were something like 'flat', 'point' and this was labelled something like 35% point? So is that 35% fat content? But CB is expected to be fatty, and much of that comes out with the simmer.

Glad I bought plenty of extra, we make a second meal of rueben sandwiches, and I'll have some with an egg for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, etc.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Please don't call it St. Patty's Day! There is no St. Patty.

Please Don't Call It St. Patty's Day - ABC News
Old 03-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I bought my corned beef at Costco. It was $2.77 a lb. I put it in the freezer for later in the year.

It is labeled flat cut choice corned beef brisket.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'm half Irish (half-kiss me!) whose great grandparents emigrated from Ireland, and I don't think I tasted corned beef until I was 16. Now potatoes.... It didn't really occur to me to buy corned beef for St Pat's Day--and the actual day this year is a lenten no-meat day so fish and potatoes it is!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'm half Irish (half-kiss me!) and I don't think I tasted corned beef until I was 16. Now potatoes.... It didn't really occur to me to buy corned beef for St Pat's Day--and the actual day this year is a lenten no-meat day so fish and potatoes it is!
Try this fish pie!

Donal Skehan | Smokey Fish Pie
Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:

I had to look up colcannon (sounds great!), but I'd definitely stop by next week if I were invited
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I think we bought the corned beef in February on sale for $3.99, not a cheap as what most of you paid. We did get the cabbage for .15 cents a pound this week. I make my own sauerkraut and made a note to buy it next year this time. It takes six big cabbages, so I'll be able to make a batch for $3.00 plus pickling salt and labor.
nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Please don't call it St. Patty's Day! There is no St. Patty.

Please Don't Call It St. Patty's Day - ABC News
Sorry! That crossed my mind after I posted that maybe that was not proper for the true Irish. Hey, but this is an Eastern-European-American who eats Corned Beef & Cabbage this week! So maybe it's OK for me to say "St. Paddy's", it's just not OK for you to say it?

Regardless, if there is time left, I will edit the post.

Hah - looking at that link, it says "St. Paddy" is acceptable, and I think I wrote that first, but that sounded too slang-ish and I changed it to "Patty" before posting! I should have left it. Live and learn, but I'll forget by next year!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I will save that as it looks amazing, but good news for me--caving in to pressure from butchers, no doubt, the bishops in the Chicago area have joined with many others to dispense with the no meat rule for tomorrow: Southland Catholics can have corned beef on St. Patrick's Day, church leaders say - Daily Southtown

ETA--DH says heck no, he wants the smokey fish pie
Old 03-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

There is a St. Paddy. He invented green beer while St. Patrick was busy doing other things.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I like corned beef a lot, now that you mention it. I haven't bought any in years so I really don't know how much it costs around here.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

they are serving it at the club tomorrow