what do you pay for corned beef?

We'll be in the British Isles next month. I'll try not to make any faux pas and insult anyone by discussing cultural issues.

Enough.

It will be difficult to avoid hearing about Brexit!

I think lamb shoulder is the cut usually used for lamb stew. I see it in the grocery stores occasionally.

Ah, thanks, and thanks for an authentic recipe, that looks great. So we will look for shoulder. If we can't find it in our regular grocery store, it sometimes helps to ask the butcher there, or we will go to an actual butcher shop, they can usually get anything (for a price!).

The stew DW used to make was not Irish at all though. It was an odd combination - it included Okra ( a southern thing, originally from Africa I think), and was served over rice. There was something amazing about the combo of lamb and okra.

-ERD50

A little brisketology for those wanting to make their own corned beef, pastrami or BBQ brisket...

Thanks, woodguy00, that was an excellent summary.
Another issue is that brisket is a very tough cut of meat, which is why specialized cooking methods have been developed for it. But when done right, it can be almost a religious experience. :angel:

Ah, thanks, and thanks for an authentic recipe, that looks great. So we will look for shoulder. If we can't find it in our regular grocery store, it sometimes helps to ask the butcher there, or we will go to an actual butcher shop, they can usually get anything (for a price!).

The stew DW used to make was not Irish at all though. It was an odd combination - it included Okra ( a southern thing, originally from Africa I think), and was served over rice. There was something amazing about the combo of lamb and okra.

-ERD50

Personally, I like a bit more flavour, so I will be adding herbs (thyme, rosemary) and some spices. I will garnish with parsley. I might add some parsnips too. And I will deglaze the pan with some Guinness.

Here's another recipe:
https://youtu.be/_qtt_xv4dP0

And another:
https://youtu.be/_qtt_xv4dP0

Last edited:
We also have a dispensation from our Archbishop to eat meat today--as long as there is a separate act of charity done. This is a pretty Irish town. I'm not Irish and actually grew up in a family that kind of resented all the Irish hoopla about themselves. Germans didn't do such things...
But after visiting Ireland a number of times I came to the conclusion that the Irish are about the nicest people on Earth. So while I will avoid corned beef (hate it) today I will raise a glass or two in their honor.

Thanks, woodguy00, that was an excellent summary.
Another issue is that brisket is a very tough cut of meat, which is why specialized cooking methods have been developed for it. But when done right, it can be almost a religious experience. :angel:
Just came back from Costco. Entire brisket, prime cut too, is $2.99/lb. I have not done real BBQ and most likely never try an entire brisket like that, but was surprised to see it is not that expensive. For a local acclaimed BBQ place charges $10/lb of BBQ brisket, packed to go, 10-lb order minimum, orders taken a couple of weeks in advance.

Last edited:
surprised to see it is not that expensive.

Precisely because it is such a tough cut. But if you're ever in Austin, try some of their truly legendary brisket cookers, like Franklin's. People stand on line there for many hours just to get in and eat lunch -- it's that good. But there are other places in the area that are just about as good and have much shorter lines.

Sorry, brisket is fun to talk about but we're far removed from the subject of the OP. :facepalm:

Well, you can only talk so much about corned beef.

About Franklin's, I learned about it from your earlier post, and checked it out on the Web out of curiosity. Very interesting, and I am indeed curious, but will have to pass it up, as I do not appreciate BBQ enough to spend 6 hours waiting in the rain or midday sun like some reviewers describe.

We also have a dispensation from our Archbishop to eat meat today--as long as there is a separate act of charity done.

I'm surprised that the church still has that much sway over people's lives, to be honest. In Ireland, so many scandals have come to light that trust has completely eroded.

-ERD50

Sounds like something you might find in Ethiopia.

My Irish American friends are the ones that used to ask me about wearing green and why I'm not actively celebrating the day. In the British Isles the Irish celebrate St. Patrick's Day, the Scot's, St Andrdew's, the Welsh, St. David's Day and the English, St. George's Day. Celebrating of someone else's national day just isn't a thing, in fact it would be weird and a bit of an insult, particularly between the English and the Irish with the history.....of course the "Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day" is a marketing thing to sell Guinness etc.

Exactly. I celebrate St Patrick's Day by eating my favorite food, not Irish food, with my non-Irish husband.

Last edited:
We just had our corned beef dinner. Wife texted son, asking if he would want to join us for dinner. Of course he would not refuse.

The 3 of us almost finished a piece that was more than 3 lbs. It's that flat-looking piece with a point-cut price I picked. There's not a lot of fat, and the meat sliced nicely and stayed intact. It was tender after 3 hours of boiling. We ate a whole large head of cabbage and some small potatoes. It was good.

Did not have beer in the house, let alone Irish beer. So I drank some red wine. Please do not shoot me.

We went out to our neighborhood place .They had corned beef for $10.95 all you can eat . It was packed and the owner was there leading people in Irish songs .They also had green beer . It was funny to see all the get ups on the older patrons .All in all a good time .

Kelly (girlfriend) and I just finished the Reuben's, I did good.

She said it was the best she ever had. I believed her too because it was the best I ever had.

Shoulda took some pics

A little brisketology for those wanting to make their own corned beef, pastrami or BBQ brisket...

When doing BBQ I like to do the whole packer separating the point and flat when it hits about 160 degrees. I then wrap in foil for a couple hours to hold the moisture as it continues to slow cook until about 195 degrees. Wrap and rest for an hour or so then time to chow. Lot's of good BBQ forums on the interwebs for those interested. Amazing ribs (linked to above) has great info as does bbq-brethren and smokingmeatforums .

+5

I put my brisket in a beef/onion broth w/ worcestershire marinade, 24 hours in advance. I throw a rub on then, and follow woodguy's method above. When I throw mine in the aluminum foil, I'll mix some beer, apple cider vinegar, coffee, a little more rub spice before I seal up the foil. Just be careful of the steam when you open it.:dance:

Haven't made my own corned beef or pastrami yet......Hmmmm.

I enjoy throwing out these subjects and see what comes back, usually you get a wide variety of thoughts, ideas, who knows what direction it might take. that is the fun of this site. thanks for all your input.

frank

Can't let a good topic die...

Saturday's efforts were three corned beef briskets smoked into pastrami. Turned out great.

Attachments

• pastrami.jpg
    pastrami.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 16
Can't let a good topic die...

Saturday's efforts were three corned beef briskets smoked into pastrami. Turned out great.

I just de-brined a brisket, covered it with pepper and coriander, and goes on the smoker later today. This my first attempt at pastrami.

Do you cook to an internal temperature, or just by time?

Cards Fan,

I always cook to internal temperature. For Saturday's pastrami, I smoked at 225 degrees until internal hit 150 degrees then sealed the meat in a foil pan that included a cup of apple juice and a cup of water. Raised the smoker to 275 and steamed/cooked about two more hours until it hit about 195 degrees. My rub was pepper, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, a little paprika and some brown sugar over a mustard base coat.

Cards Fan,

I always cook to internal temperature. For Saturday's pastrami, I smoked at 225 degrees until internal hit 150 degrees then sealed the meat in a foil pan that included a cup of apple juice and a cup of water. Raised the smoker to 275 and steamed/cooked about two more hours until it hit about 195 degrees. My rub was pepper, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, a little paprika and some brown sugar over a mustard base coat.

+10#

Cards Fan,

Wow - sounds delicious, and looks great too!

Do you cook to an internal temperature, or just by time?

Yes, internal temperature is always the key. Cooking by time is old fashioned and could even be dangerous. Especially with big chunks of meat like brisket or pork shoulder, the differences between them can be enormous in term of how long they take to reach the appropriate IT.

Digital thermometers are so accurate these days it makes no sense not to use one or two.

Yes, internal temperature is always the key. Cooking by time is old fashioned and could even be dangerous. Especially with big chunks of meat like brisket or pork shoulder, the differences between them can be enormous in term of how long they take to reach the appropriate IT.

Digital thermometers are so accurate these days it makes no sense not to use one or two.

Good points

I agree with you, for the most part. However, with a corned beef, which has already been preserved, the need to achieve a "safe" temperature goes away. So the question is more about when do you have enough smoke, and is the texture proper?

Now, with a pork butt, or chuck roast, it is really important to get to 195+ in order for the fat to break down and be able to pull the meat.

BTW, finished the pastrami yesterday. Will slice it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom