What do you think about tattoos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tattoos are now a sign of class and behavior? Mr. Rogers had tattoos.

I think I need to block this thread.

Maybe!

And some people buy tats - others buy expensive camera equipment. What does that matter?!?!?!

Different strokes

I have both sleeves done. They are each 1 large piece of artwork from the wrist to the shoulder. Each one was over 10 grand...

Chacun a son gout. How somebody else spends their discretionary dough is unquestionably none of my beeswax.

Given the choice of dropping 20 large on ink or scotch, I'd go with scotch. But that's just me...

Meanwhile, I dislike scotch and have been known to spend $20K on other things. Whatever makes the economy go 'round, and does no harm.

Chacun a son gout. How somebody else spends their discretionary dough is unquestionably none of my beeswax.

Given the choice of dropping 20 large on ink or scotch, I'd go with scotch. But that's just me...

I dislike tattoos. They are vulgar and low-class.
I told my daughter if she got one she would be paying for her own wedding. Nothing is more disgusting than a beautiful woman with tattoos.

Nothing is more disgusting than a beautiful woman with tattoos.

Nothing? I would judge disgusting more by what comes out of someone's mouth than how they chose to decorate their skin.

As a vulgar and low class fellow, I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread. It really is a great example of how it is in our nature to hate. Forget race and religion, look at how strongly some people feel about body art. I don't think socks with sandals is a good look, but I certainly don't have any strong feelings about it and going off of this thread, I imagine that's a popular look around these parts.

Fortunately for me, most people I interact with in the real world are much more open minded to my face. Even the grumpy old curmudgeons at the golf course, though I'm sure they curse my low life under their breath.

There's no hate here at E-R Forum and it looks likes everyone needs to chill and keep in mind that this topic and discussion is friendly and good-natured. If you don't care for the response of a particular member, use the "ignore" button

Some beautiful girl, who's obviously crazy for you, turns out to have a great big butterfly tattooed on her back and you say "No, I need you to go away now"? I don't believe it.

Exactly.

I told my daughter if she got one she would be paying for her own wedding. Nothing is more disgusting than a beautiful woman with tattoos.

Three of DD’s bridesmaids had smallish tattoos just below their right shoulders that we all noticed during the wedding, and I’ve notice them on brides as well. It fits into the “if that’s the worst thing they do, we’ll be okay” category for me. No harm to the world when people get tattoos, for something that makes them happy and that they feel is beautiful.

Ear piercings are somewhat practical—they do hold earrings. Two of my four granddaughters have had pierced ears since they were maybe six months old, common in their culture. The pediatrician’s office did it—they didn’t have to wait til high school and have their friends rip holes in their ears with a sewing needle and an ice cube and screaming and blood.

Ray Bradbury’s Illustrated Man is an awesome book of short stories tied together with tattoos.

Last edited:
If you want to get a tattoo that's your business, but I really don't like them. To me the human body is a work of art, in all it's shapes, sizes, and colors. Getting a tattoo is like putting graffiti on a masterpiece. Same goes with body piercings, scarification, nose rings, those stupid ear plugs, and the wild hair colors. It's like putting a tramp stamp on the sculpture of Venus, or the Mona Lisa with purple hair and a nose ring. You took something of beauty and made it look cheap. If you like artwork, buy a painting.

Like it or not, people judge you by your appearance. Sure, it's probably my shortcoming more than theirs, but a beautiful woman who smokes or has a tattoo is an instant turn off for me. She may be gorgeous and have the sweetest personality but I can't get past the tats. A beautiful guy, well I'm not looking anyway. :)

It seems almost everyone has tattoos these days and once I get past my own distaste for them, I have to wonder why they are so unhappy with their body they feel they need to make physical changes. If you want to express yourself wear different clothes or something.

It's really sad so many people need to get tattoos, piercings, weird hair colors, breast enlargements, cosmetic surgery, etc. to be happy with themselves. The most beautiful people to me are the ones who respect the body they were given.

I'm not going to judge anyone based on what they decorated their body with. That would be like judging them on their choice in clothes.

My attitude also.

I don’t think I’ll ever get a tattoo, because I couldn’t even decide on a design for a henna tattoo when on a beach vacation with my girls. If I can’t commit for two weeks, there’s no way I could handle a real tattoo!

It seems almost everyone has tattoos these days and once I get past my own distaste for them, I have to wonder why they are so unhappy with their body they feel they need to make physical changes.

I think they feel their tats (and/or piercings) are enhancements, therefore not only justified but a reflection on their innate good taste.

Not my thing either, but I grew up in a different era. When I was a kid, it was simply unthinkable to go outdoors without a hat on. Times change.

I don't think it is about hate at all. It's about what people have learned and their values. People of a certain age will see tattoos in the light of what they 'learned' many years ago - that tattoos are associated with certain groups of people. I for one am the first to thank someone who has 'USS Indianapolis' tattooed on their forearm but steer clear of people who have expletives tattooed on their knuckles or elsewhere. The second reason is that it is about choices - when you are frugal it seems like a great waste of money. Finally, it is about respect for the body and health - and this is a stretch of course - but when you have met someone who has Hep C or HIV almost certainly from that tattoo they decided to get on vacation then after feeling sad, you just think why? I don't love my DDs any less for their small tattoos but I'd still rather they didn't feel the need to have them.

... I have to wonder why they are so unhappy with their body they feel they need to make physical changes. If you want to express yourself wear different clothes or something.

It's really sad so many people need to get tattoos, piercings, weird hair colors, breast enlargements, cosmetic surgery, etc. to be happy with themselves. The most beautiful people to me are the ones who respect the body they were given.

Well, as my DW would say, "If they aren't cooking for you, paying your bills, or fornicating with you, then it shouldn't be any of your concern." :D

I do have an opinion on them (and was insensitive in an earlier post, but after some reflection, I delete it) and it's pretty strong. BUT...in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't affect my life AT ALL...not even in the SMALLEST regard.

DW has a couple of tattoos, and they don't bother me in the least. They aren't visible unless she's not wearing anything, so that's a bonus.

When I was dating after my divorce, I had a handful of "no-go" criteria that would be used to weed out the chaff. Well, one of those was smoking...I HATE, HATE, HATE smoke! Well, low and behold, when I had my first date w/ my DW, I found out she was a smoker. That was the ONLY negative thing about that girl...and it was very hard to overlook it. But, I did...and lucky for me (and her), she stopped smoking about 2 months into our dating relationship and hasn't smoked since and boy, am I glad that I overlooked that flaw!

Like it or not, people judge you by your appearance. Sure, it's probably my shortcoming more than theirs, but a beautiful woman who smokes or has a tattoo is an instant turn off for me. She may be gorgeous and have the sweetest personality but I can't get past the tats. A beautiful guy, well I'm not looking anyway. :)
I'm sure these women that you objectify are truly heartbroken that you aren't "turned on" by their appearance. Their loss for sure.

I got my hand slapped on this board the other day for a "sexist" comment I made about a woman maybe not wanting to rebuild an old car. LOL

Nothing? I would judge disgusting more by what comes out of someone's mouth than how they chose to decorate their skin.
All right...good for you. Lets say....coming out of ones mouth...1....then 1a for beautiful women with tattoos.

Really? Hate? Seriously?

As a vulgar and low class fellow, I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread. It really is a great example of how it is in our nature to hate. Forget race and religion, look at how strongly some people feel about body art.

Are we both reading the same thread? I detected a majority of the posters saying something along the lines of "It's not what I would do, but..."

That hardly equates to hate.

There is a current thread going about being unable to talk about FIRE with friends and family for fear of sparking an argument. So in addition to politics, religion and money, it looks like we have to add tattoos to the list of topics banned due to hypersensitivity?

My favorite barista in Seattle had tats on her face and a lot of piercings, too. She also had a positive, sunny personality and talking to her was a great way to start the day. Sadly, there were people who couldn't get past the tats and piercings and would comment rudely within her hearing. I found those people to be vulgar and low class. The pain and money involved getting a tattoo stop me, but I have no problem with people who choose body art and piercings. They may regret it some day, but we all have things we regret.

When I was dating after my divorce, I had a handful of "no-go" criteria that would be used to weed out the chaff. Well, one of those was smoking...I HATE, HATE, HATE smoke! Well, low and behold, when I had my first date w/ my DW, I found out she was a smoker. That was the ONLY negative thing about that girl...and it was very hard to overlook it. But, I did...and lucky for me (and her), she stopped smoking about 2 months into our dating relationship and hasn't smoked since and boy, am I glad that I overlooked that flaw!

Congratulations! I am very happy for you and your wife! You gave her enough incentive (you!) and she is better off health-wise because of it.

Are we both reading the same thread? I detected a majority of the posters saying something along the lines of "It's not what I would do, but..."

There is a current thread going about being unable to talk about FIRE with friends and family for fear of sparking an argument. So in addition to politics, religion and money, it looks like we have to add tattoos to the list of topics banned due to hypersensitivity?
Can't talk politics but.......

My father had 3 tats from his days in the Army. they always reminded him of his time there and the friends who survived and those that did not.
My daughter, son in law, and son all three have multiple tats. Each one is a reminder some very important event in their lives. They are tastefully done. Many of their friends have them as well.
I don't mind them at all. Many times I will admire good some good ink work and ask about a tat on one of their friends. Usually, it has a very personal meaning to them.
I have seen some that are, in my opinion pretty wild on others, but its their body, their choice.

I do not like tattoos and have none myself but doesn't bother me if other people do.

About 1 out of 100 tattoos looks good in my opinion. Last time I was at a strip club there were a couple of gals tatted from head to toe and it worked for them... or maybe I was really drunk.

So it's not my thing....

On the other hand I own a commercial building that has a tattoo parlor so I hope people keep getting them as they pay good rent! :)

Yeah, just some friendly observations among friends. Calling people stupid, criminals, etc....personally I find it funny, yet sad at the same time, that people could admittedly be so judgmental about something so trivial.

I think less of the person.
I think they are stupid.
high correlation with number of tattoos and criminality
They are vulgar and low-class
Here is a person with poor judgment and poor long-range planning skills

Don’t forget the nothing more disgusting than beautiful women with tattoos comment. I guess the not beautiful ones don’t matter.

Last edited:
Yeah, just some friendly observations among friends. Calling people stupid, criminals, etc....personally I find it funny, yet sad at the same time, that people could admittedly be so judgmental about something so trivial.
In this thread no one has called anyone stupid or criminal. Not sure where you got that, but it wasn't here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom