Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am considering buying a Kindle as I have waaaay too many books! So I have downloaded Kindle for PC on my computer, partly to see if I like to read for pleasure on a screen (I know I know, it's not the same), and partly to see whether the Amazon library would keep me interested. To start with, I've downloaded ten free books. I'm currently 29% of the way into Honore de Balzac's The Country Doctor (translated from the French). I'm quite enjoying it!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #642
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am considering buying a Kindle as I have waaaay too many books! So I have downloaded Kindle for PC on my computer, partly to see if I like to read for pleasure on a screen (I know I know, it's not the same), and partly to see whether the Amazon library would keep me interested. To start with, I've downloaded ten free books. I'm currently 29% of the way into Honore de Balzac's The Country Doctor (translated from the French). I'm quite enjoying it!

I bought a nook and I like the portability for travel and Doctor's appointments but it will never replace the library for me . Last week I was at a new Physician's office and all they had were old Sports Illustrated . This week I am scheduled to spend three hours there so my Nook is loaded and ready to go .

Old 09-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #643
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I am a huge Randy Wayne White fan (something else we have in common). He's fantastic. Other faves in the Florida genre are Tim Dorsey and SV Date. I began my immersion into Florida fiction with the beloved late John D. MacDonald and I think RWW is truly his heir-apparent. I have every single one of JDM's books, all of Dorsey's, and all of RWW.

Have you read Ted Bell's work--very similar in concept and truly awesome. Start with Hawke.

Also a surprise find was Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton. A real page turner and way different than his other work.
I was a huge John D fan and as I am getting perilously close to ER (spouse is going in a few months, and is starting to make noises about wanting company sooner rather that later), I need to get back to reading fiction...watching less fox news and dealing with bullies on other forums!

Bell and Crichton were unknown to me. Any other names in this genre you can name would be appreciated
Old 09-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #644
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just finished Jeff Yeager's "The Cheapskate Next Door", quite a good read and entertaining, too!

Now I'm reading Robin and Dominguez's "Your Money Or Your Life". I had read this many years ago, possibly when it first came out and I got a lot out of it. Now that DH is retired and we are in a whole new phase of our lives I'm reading it from a new perspective. I'm doing a lot of head nodding and "oh yeah".

Thanks for mentioning Kindle for PC. I just installed it and I'll try reading a few of the free books and see how I like the format. Not quite like a real Kindle but our son just bought the new Kindle and I'm curious if this is something I could get into.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
I was a huge John D fan and as I am getting perilously close to ER (spouse is going in a few months, and is starting to make noises about wanting company sooner rather that later), I need to get back to reading fiction...watching less fox news and dealing with bullies on other forums!

Bell and Crichton were unknown to me. Any other names in this genre you can name would be appreciated
Yes, throw out that TV and start reading--we did that over 10 years ago and are much happier for it.
Wow, okay, if you like Florida fiction, there are some great ones, but Randy Wayne White is definitely the most similar. Others are Tim Dorsey (who writes a lot like Carl Hiassen, same zany characters), SV Date, and James W. Hall.

Ted Bell really is fantastic, his newest, Warlord, comes out next week. I re-read my John D. MacDonald's every now and again, especially the Travis' series. One of my faves to re-read this time of year is Condominium, which has one of the best descriptions of a hurricane ever. An older one of his about a hurricane is Murder in the Wind. Great stuff!

I have every single one of JDMs books and a handful of scholarly work written about his life. Have you read his pamphlet Reading for Survival? It is awesome and I have a slim first edition of it. Here is a reprint that, if you like the Travis McGee series, you will appreciate.

http://education.gsu.edu/sdecker/Cla...20Survival.pdf

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #646

I just finished reading Cory Doctorow's "Little Brother", an interesting and instructive book on abuse of power and the false dichotomy between security and privacy. The book is technically a 'young adult' work, and I think it would be one heck of an addition to a senior year high school reading list, as a supplement to the usual "1984" or "Brave New World".

Caution: Don't have this book on your Kindle when going through a TSA checkpoint.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #647
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
She also writes a column for the Philadelphia enquirer that has been made into the book " Why my third husband will be a dog ".
I know the answer to this one. Because she felt that her 1st and 2nd ones were also dogs.

My current reading is Niall Ferguson's Ascent of Money. It isn't at all technical, but it is a very interesting and IMO useful look at how we arrived at our modern monetary system.

Ha
Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #648
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Stieg Larsson "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series. Liked the first movie and read the next two books. The second movie was so-so but the books were a great guilty pleasure. I hope to do a lot more guilty pleasures when I retire in Dec.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #649
Give me a forum ...

I am reading Spend 'til The End, by Larry Kotlikoff and Scott Burns. A very well written book that deviates widely from the usual retirement saving and investing book.

The theoretical framwork for their approach is consumption smoothing. This is my second time through this book, the prior time about 2 years ago. I like it, but it takes awhile to be sure I am getting their points, because they are different from what you usually come across.

Ha
Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am reading Spend 'til The End, by Larry Kotlikoff and Scott Burns. A very well written book that deviates widely from the usual retirement saving and investing book.

The theoretical framwork for their approach is consumption smoothing. This is my second time through this book, the prior time about 2 years ago. I like it, but it takes awhile to be sure I am getting their points, because they are different from what you usually come across.

Ha
This is the basis for his software, the ES planner, which I think is very interesting. I've been trying to convince my older boss to pony up for it and play with it a bit as research for his own retirement book.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:07 AM   #651

"The Majesty of the River Road" - a pictorial work on the plantations north of New Orleans on the Mississippi.

Many of these homes are still in great shape today at 180 years old.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #652

Ford County by Grisham. Half a dpzen short stories. Typical Grisham. But I like it. And, The Ruined City by N. Shute. Not bad either.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #653
Administrator

I am reading Blood Bath, by Susan D. Mustafa, Tony Clayton, and Sue Israel. This is a book about the Baton Rouge serial killer, who killed 7-12 women, mostly in my neighborhood near LSU when I lived in Baton Rouge. Law enforcement finally caught Derrick Todd Lee and he was convicted in this case a few years ago. DNA proved beyond doubt that he was the monster who killed these women. If there was ever a good candidate for the death penalty it would be this creep.

Then, they caught a second serial killer shortly thereafter who supposedly killed another dozen or so women in the same neighborhood during the same time - - but as I recall the evidence wasn't as good and I wonder if Derrick Todd Lee may have killed them as well. The book might discuss this confusing situation too so I am looking forward to reading that part.

Before Derrick Todd Lee was caught and convicted, the situation was pretty scary. These serial killings terrorized women in the university community who lived in that Baton Rouge neighborhood on the south side of LSU, as I did, so the book has special interest for me.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #654

At the moment, Digital Printing Start-up Guide by Harold Johnson and C. David Tobie about the intricacies of printing your own photos. They also point out the advantages/disadvantages of sending the print work out; one professional artist has his work printed at Costco. And they acknowledge that because the technology moves so fast the book is essentially obsolete by the time it's printed. Still, it is interesting.

Next up is The Essential Lighting Manual for Digital and Film Photographers by Chris Weston. As implied, it's about lighting and photographs.

Both are, of course, library books.

I am astonished at the photographic results I'm getting with fairly low-end gear: A Nikon P100 point 'n shoot camera, Photoshop Elements 8, and an HP D7560 Photosmart four-color printer. Results are still better than anything I've been able to do with film before.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #655
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
At the moment, Digital Printing Start-up Guide by Harold Johnson and C. David Tobie about the intricacies of printing your own photos. They also point out the advantages/disadvantages of sending the print work out; one professional artist has his work printed at Costco.
I don't print a lot of photos but when I decide I want a good one I will have to remember Costco.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #656
Recycles dryer sheets

I just finished "The Seasons on Henry's Farm". If you're a vegetable gardener, it will make you want to tear out the rest of your lawn to plant garlic and kale.

It's written by "Henry's" sister and is a week-by-week account of what is done on a 10 acre organic farm in Central Illinois to supply CSA share holders and farmers markets.

It's also a beautiful account of an extended family working together, shows how hard farming is and why it might be worth it to pay more for organic produce at the farmers market.

If you're a gardener, check it out!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #657
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, throw out that TV and start reading--we did that over 10 years ago and are much happier for it.
Wow, okay, if you like Florida fiction, there are some great ones, but Randy Wayne White is definitely the most similar. Others are Tim Dorsey (who writes a lot like Carl Hiassen, same zany characters), SV Date, and James W. Hall.

Ted Bell really is fantastic, his newest, Warlord, comes out next week. I re-read my John D. MacDonald's every now and again, especially the Travis' series. One of my faves to re-read this time of year is Condominium, which has one of the best descriptions of a hurricane ever. An older one of his about a hurricane is Murder in the Wind. Great stuff!

I have every single one of JDMs books and a handful of scholarly work written about his life. Have you read his pamphlet Reading for Survival? It is awesome and I have a slim first edition of it. Here is a reprint that, if you like the Travis McGee series, you will appreciate.

http://education.gsu.edu/sdecker/Cla...20Survival.pdf
ha! been there and got the T-shirt. Collected everything he wrote as well as the pamphlet, and been through the series twice.

for anyone out there who has never read John D, you have a treat waiting for you. This was a guy with an MBA from Ithaca (Cornell?), who was a deep thinking who took up writing crime fiction. Lots of insights into life, marriage, money...

the weird thing, about 20 years ago I was telling my parents about my John D obsession...and dad said the exact same thing happened to him 20 years earlier.

I believe there is some sort of Florida writers convention in John Ds florida home town every year (Siesta Key?), and they actually have a workshop on John Ds writings.

regarding TV, met a distant relative this summer who said he never watched television, but just watched movies instead, which got me thinking. For us, renting movies is a pain, and then we end up not watching 75% all the way through.

I researched this a bit and ended up buying an Mini Mac, which is optimized for torrent downloading...I would pay for this but streaming services are not available in Canada. It is fantastic, and we are now working our way through all the Merchant and Ivory films (ie Room with a View), or anything with Maggie Smith.

My intention is to actually pay DVD rental to a local independent for films we actually download and watch all the way through..so we are ok karmawise. ; - )

Also watching the old PBS Free to Choose series, by Milton Friedman.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #658

Saw that the last of Wambaugh's Hollywood trilogy, Amazon.com: Hollywood Moon: A Novel (Hollywood Station) (9780316045186): Joseph Wambaugh: Books, was out in paperback and finished it off in one day. Excellent book, ending caught me by surprise. Caught me hard too, as something similar happened to a good friend.
Quote:
Thanks or the link to that. The love of reading must be inherited, I got it from my parents and both my kids are avid readers as well, and the McGee stories was Dad's favorite and I picked it from him.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #659
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
The love of reading must be inherited, I got it from my parents and both my kids are avid readers as well,
+1 I don't know if it is nature or nurture but it runs the same in my family.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #660
Recycles dryer sheets

one of the problems with some schools is that they force the kids to read dry/subtle British literature before they are ready or way way above their reading level or interest, nipping the reading habit in the bud. What they should do is encourage comic reading and then transition to appropriate and relevent reading that captures their attention.

same goes for music. All kids should be put in rock or folk bands rather than orchestra..unless thats the preference.

same goes for math. All kids should start small businesses and attach $$$ to their numbers, and learn relevant math from that.

we put kids on a track for math research....yet 95% don't understand the destructive power of credit card interest. Sometimes I wonder if this is more organized than stupidity.