What is kindest ways to get ppl to not talk about grandchildren?

Just say, "you're so lucky to have grandkids. I wish I had them" and sob uncontrollably.

I don't know if it works with grandparents, but you can always give free advice to parents. Like "If dogs are smart enough to figure out the "invisible fence" I don't know why kids couldn't" or "Can't you just chain them up out back?" That works for me.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have tried everything reasonable with her. Time to move on to other friends.

OP.. there are personality defects that cause people to dominate conversations and talk about 'themselves'. While you may still want this person as a friend, you may want to limit contact as it may hurt you more down the road. Find another friend where the relationship is mutual.

Wow she is talking excessively about her GD and that would annoy me big time. I don't enjoy being with people that talk too much and never let the other person talk. I have adult kids and no grandchildren and do not mind people talking about their's but there is a limit on how much you want to hear on any topic.

It seems this lady has poorly developed listening skills. If she was actively listening, she would pick up on the cues that enough is enough.

It sounds like she is sharing what she loves most with you. Congratulations!

If you mean she is monopolizing conversation, like some do in a nervous way, that's much harder. Some do this because they are compensating for bad hearing, others to try to fill out feelings of inadequacy. Others have been chatterboxes since they were kids--good luck changing them.

Many thanks to all who posted insights and advice for my situation. I read each of your posts carefully and learned from them.

To clear up a few details -
I’m sorry I gave the impression I wanted her to stop talking about her grandchild completely. I was just hoping to get her to limit it to around 15-20 minutes out of every hour we spend together.

We have similar political views, she has led an interesting life I would like to hear more about (including her time in the Peace Corp and her travels to the Galapagos), and we read similar fiction books. But about 3/4 of her conversation when we are meeting for tea, lunch, etc, is about the granddaughter.

Neither of us are interested in a romance or FWB. I’ve just been looking for a few people I can have interesting conversations with. I’m mostly retired but I still write books. Since I moved to this town in July (for a 2ish year project), I have been searching for people to have interesting chats with. Initially, this gal and I seemed to have common interests.

I asked her to talk less about the DG in hopes we could discuss other things, but she is enthralled. Good on her: being a grandma gives her enormous happiness.

We had lunch yesterday and she spent 1.5ish hours talking about GD and D
D, despite numerous interruptions from me to try to divert her to other topics. I had a couple of things I was interested in hearing her POV thoughts. She spoke on those topics for a few minutes, then it was back to her GD and DD.

At one point, I became impatient and asked her if I could finish a sentence before she changed the topic. She said no. That’s what led me to ER to ask for advice.

Conclusion:
I think those of you who posted I should move on are right. I asked her to lessen (not stop) the amount of discussion re DG and that hasn’t worked out.

MANY THANKS for this guidance!

It’s just unfortunate for me that I am in a town for a few years whose people are mostly interested in things which do not appeal to me: sports and gardening. (btw - I love gardens but they make me sneeze so I have no clue about mulching, etc.) But after my stint here, I’ll be moving to a city again where it is easier for me to find people with similar interests.

To respond to a few posts -

“If you have a pet start talking excessively about it)”
LOL! I actually met a young woman at the hair salon last week who purposely starts going into details about her cat when her 30ish friends go on and on about their toddlers.

“So, even though it's normal for people to talk about their grandkids a lot, it's also normal for people to talk about something else, including the interests of you, their friend. If they can't do that, I think there's a chip missing.”
Good point! She told me a few months ago she is ADD and I’ve run into that before: very short attention span. I usually just let them ramble off topic for awhile and then change the subject. Harder to do with this gal.
Then yesterday she mentioned some “neurological problems” which could well support your “chip missing” hunch.

“You may not have as much shared interest as is needed for this relationship to grow and flourish.”
I think this sums things up rather well. I met her several times in group settings and she was an interesting conversationalist. She spoke about many things. She mentioned her GD but it was just a few paragraphs each time. She’s smart, keeps up with the news, and seems to be interested in things which interest me so I was delighted to meet someone who conversed about something other than sports (THE major interest in this town). But one-on-one, she talks about her GD at length and in great detail.

“Your post is a good reminder to have give and take in our conversations.”
That is what I have been looking for. With this gal’s ADD and neurological problems, she might no longer be capable of give and take, sadly.

“One idea I have (although I have yet to try it) is to provide the person with some kind of obvious "cue" that it's time to change the station, topic, subject, etc.

For example, I know that I can belabor subjects that interest me and I've seen my (adult) kids get fidgety, look distracted, etc. when I get long winded on something. When I see that, I know it's time for me to 'put a cork' in it. But, I also wonder how many times I've missed those 'tells'.

So, what I plan on doing is agree on some kind of visual cue, like tapping the table 3 times, moving the salt shaker from one side of the table to the other, etc. That will let me know that it's time to shut up or change the subject without them having to say "shut up". ”
I think this is a great idea. Good luck!

“Just say, "you're so lucky to have grandkids. I wish I had them" and sob uncontrollably.”
LOL !!!

“The only people I don't have patience for are those who only talk, but never, ever, listen.”
I think this gal is turning out to be one of those, though I either ignored early signs of this, hoped it wasn’t the case, or her medical problems are stronger causes of behaviour than I knew initially. She is a VERY kind and thoughtful person, so I think ADD and medical issues are to blame.

And for the people who posted that talking about grandkids is better than talking about illness -
I wholeheartedly agree! I never want to hear another Organ Recital in my life! Especially at the breakfast, lunch, or dinner table! Yuck!!!
(Close friends and loved ones - I want to know, of course.)

I love this post and you sound like you would be a wonderful friend to someone but not to this lady.

You just gave a complete description of my younger sister. For 17 years since our Mother died when my DS was 33, I've been what I call the unending ear. First it was her EX, and it's always been about her 20 YO daughters who suffers from mental illness and has had problems since she was 5 years old. Then it turned to her step-children, who according to her are the worst people on earth. We live apart so it would endless emails, twice weekly 90 phone calls where 86 minutes were about her and her problems. After 15 years of tiptoeing around this and trying to be supportive my bag of tricks and general supportive listening skills began to wane.

Sometime last year I apparently committed an unforgiveable misstep in one of our endless conversations. The next day I got an IM from her saying she was sick of MY "tone deafness" and she promptly began ghosting me, which continues to this day.

I was completely surprised by how the stress level in my life dropped after this happened and the phone calls and emails stopped. Your friend is obsessed with her grandkids and doesn't really care that you aren't fully engaged about listening endlessly to how wonderful they are.

Now she might not even know she's doing this or perhaps she can't stop her and is "ruminating" on being a grandparent. if she has ADD as my niece and I think my sister does, it could be a symptom of her condition.

You don't have enough past history with this lady to try and work through this and if it's not her grandkid it will most likely be some other subject.

Run don't walk that's my advice, but do her a favor and tell her why.

It would probably take several years of professional therapy to change her. :facepalm: I don't think you have that time.

Please help me find kind words that will work.

I've recently moved to a new town and started socializing with a gal I met. She is smart, educated, reads the news, has interests similar to mine (museums, etc) but she goes on and on about her 2 year old granddaughter. She will get a grandson in a few months and I assume she'll talk about him, too.

She talks about which colors the girl knows the words for, how high she can count. I'm happy she has so much love for this girl and love in her life.

I've asked her to please talk less about the girl. She tried for awhile but went back to looooong descriptions about the details on this girl.

She used to do lots of volunteer work with small children so I think she is just more interested in them than I am. (The part of my volunteer work with children were with teen girls.)

Are there some kind words you can offer to help me get her to cut down on the amount of grandchild talk? Otherwise, I'm going to have to exit this budding friendship.

Thanks!
That is a slippery slope; however, I think this may not be the best relationship for you to pursue as this person may not have a life of her own and is living vicariously through the grandkids...good luck.

Ivansfan -

You posted:
"Sometime last year I apparently committed an unforgivable misstep in one of our endless conversations. The next day I got an IM from her saying she was sick of MY "tone deafness" and she promptly began ghosting me, which continues to this day."

Hurray for unforgivable missteps !!!

Thanks you for your kind words and encouragement. Congratulations on being ghosted!

My Grandchild Is Cuter Than Your Grandchild

Every time I see a bumper sticker like the one above, I take an oath never to be like that.

Be glad it is not 20 minutes of people talking about their pets.

Funny. I have a female friend that lives for her pets. She's married.....but dogs and horses are her thing. I can't imagine what her husband goes through daily. She post daily pics of her pets including deceased dogs on Facebook. Oh well....

If you want to see a picture of my dog, take a look to the left. ;)

Ivansfan -

You posted:
"Sometime last year I apparently committed an unforgivable misstep in one of our endless conversations. The next day I got an IM from her saying she was sick of MY "tone deafness" and she promptly began ghosting me, which continues to this day."

Hurray for unforgivable missteps !!!

Thanks you for your kind words and encouragement. Congratulations on being ghosted!

We could be friends, I know we could...When I talk about my Grandkids I have a mental timer that I set for about 2 minutes.. 30 seconds a kid. If someone doesn't have grandkids that more then enough time and if they do have grandkids that's as long as I want to talk about their bunch:cool:

I moved to the Midwest after being gone for more than 35 years. Have gotten in touch with some of my old high school classmates, but they do talk kids and grandkids which I don't have. So far they don't go on too much. I have more issues with them talking about w*rk. Ironically I seem to be hanging more with older retirees as we have more in common. They have the time to go to plays and music events. More importantly they don't talk about w*ork!

Back
Top Bottom