What is the closest to death you have come?

In 1977 I had an ectopic pregnancy. By the time I got to the hospital my blood pressure was 80/40. They rushed me to surgery, and I almost died; I had lost much blood.

It is a very personal experience:blush:, and I hesitate to share fully what I experienced - because it is so close to my soul. But, I think it may help some of you who have doubts about a spiritual reality. I had a full-on near death experience. I was with a being of light, and at one with this light; I "knew" that:

1. There is no such thing as death
2. There is no such thing as an accident
3. Everything is perfect, because everything is working according to the laws of the creator - even when things appear to be tragic.

I felt myself being sucked back into my body, and came-to in the recovery room, and knew that what I experienced was no dream. It has remained the most profound experience of this lifetime. I grieved for some time, because it was so beautiful "over there," and so difficult "here."

I think about that experience almost daily, and live accordingly.

I served in Nam ('68-'69); that's all I'll say...

As to my "teenage transgressions", my father had a '58 T-Bird that the previous owner had used for racing, and dropped a Lincoln engine in. That, along with a 4.11 rear meant that I could get rubber in all three of the auto forward gears.

I had met this guy (who I knew from school) at the first Mickey D's in the area back in 1964. He had started talking about his older brother's '55 Crown Vic that would put the T-Bird to sleep (yea, two young teens throwing trash talk at each other).

I invited him for a ride to see if I could impress him. Pulled out of the parking lot onto the boulevard (which in those days had little traffic). Within three blocks, I had it up to 115 (the speedo went to 140+). Went another few blocks, hit the brakes and went down a gravel road. The thing is that this road dipped down to a "cut", where train tracks lie.

There was no crossing control, so I hit the train tracks/road doing about 70. Little did I know that a train was approaching the "cut" without any warning. I could not see any lights nor hear any horn. I made it across the tracks with about two seconds to spare, when the train whizzed by in my rear-view mirror.

Stupid...

Well, it probably wasn't a 747 since they don't fly into Reagan National.

Mine were plane related
1) Flying in a Philippine Airlines prop plane into Baguio. The airport is on a hilltop with steep sides. We are about 2 feet off the runway when the plane points its nose up and starts climbing again. Then we hear the landing gear come down.

2) Flying from Hilo to San Francisco. The pilot tells us that because one of the engines was on fire, he was turning back go to Honolulu. It was but we made it back safely.

I don't count the usual, eating street vendor food in the third world or TV dinners.

In 1977 I had an ectopic pregnancy. By the time I got to the hospital my blood pressure was 80/40. They rushed me to surgery, and I almost died; I had lost much blood.

It is a very personal experience:blush:, and I hesitate to share fully what I experienced - because it is so close to my soul. But, I think it may help some of you who have doubts about a spiritual reality. I had a full-on near death experience. I was with a being of light, and at one with this light; I "knew" that:

3. Everything is perfect, because everything is working according to the laws of the creator - even when things appear to be tragic.

I felt myself being sucked back into my body, and came-to in the recovery room, and knew that what I experienced was no dream. It has remained the most profound experience of this lifetime. I grieved for some time, because it was so beautiful "over there," and so difficult "here."

Thank you for going ahead and sharing it. And welcome back. I have heard the same stories but have not experienced one myself.

Wow......amazing story!! There's hope for us yet........:)

I was coaching my daughters YMCA softball team around the 6th, 7th grade level. So..some of the girls are no longer little 6 year olds. I was catching with a face mask. Practice getting ready to end. Took off the face mask. Tall heavy set girl swung at a pitch. Back tipped it back into my face. Hit me right between the eyes. I swear I thought I was a goner....and waited to totally fall out. I didn't...and another parent who had come to pick up his child helped me to the hospital.

Lots of blood...where I was cut by the sunglasses I had on. In hind site those sunglasses may have been my saving grace. Don't know. Two severely black eyes and severe concussion.

I didn't sign up to coach the next year.

I was stupid but lucky in my youth - hitchhiking, fast living and out for adventure. I survived a number of close calls to be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer Oct. 4, 1999. Lymph nodes involved, 4 types of chemo, lost my hair, grew it back and then repeat with more chemo. I won't go into the details but Thankful to say more than 11 years later, no sign of cancer. For awhile there - really thought I was gonna die.

Wanted to add one thing - without access to good health insurance I would have died.

I was stupid but lucky in my youth - hitchhiking, fast living and out for adventure. I survived a number of close calls to be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer Oct. 4, 1999. Lymph nodes involved, 4 types of chemo, lost my hair, grew it back and then repeat with more chemo. I won't go into the details but Thankful to say more than 11 years later, no sign of cancer. For awhile there - really thought I was gonna die.

Congrats! We have a close friend who battled breast cancer last year...so far so good. I like to hear stories like yours! Glad to hear that 11 years later all is well!

Great stories everyone!

It's fun for me to see the very long term follow up of some common neonatal problems: Alan's exchange transfusions (obviously not for Rh alloimmunization, but perhaps another antibody?) and Walt's surgery for esophageal atresia (probably associated with tracheoesophageal fistula)....glad you're both doing well! :LOL:

Congratulations on eleven years Cancer free !

Fourteen years ago, on New Year's Eve, I skidded on ice coming home from work while stupidly driving a small sports car unsuitable for the weather. I headed straight into the path of a tractor trailer truck but then (blessedly) skidded off the road again into a thicket of bushes. The car prepared for the impact by disconnecting the gas line so I know I landed with a pretty good jolt. I am grateful that no one (including myself) was injured. I was very shook up for a long time. I now drive a huge beast of an SUV in the winter.
Also, when I was a toddler, I was almost kidnapped, according to what my parents told me. I was too young to remember it, but my parents took me to a flower show and there was a power outage where everything went dark. My mother reached down to take my hand when this happened and felt me being pulled away from her rather violently but she hung on. The lights suddenly came on and a very hard looking woman was yanking on my other arm. My mother shouted at her and she dropped my arm and ran off. I shudder to think what that was all about, but I was always very careful to keep a close eye on my own small child when I became a parent.

In 1977

antmary,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

My father had a very similar experience after he was gravely injured during WWII. He always told us that it was so 'glorious' over there that he was totally at peace with dying. He lived many more years and died at age 89. When he passed, as I knew he was going to this 'glorious' place, I was sad that he was gone but not wracked-up about it.

omni

Philippines - 1970 Landslide on base wiped out our courier station killing two shipmates and sending five of us to the hospital. I had a fractured skull and a dislocated shoulder with a huge rotator cuff tear.

2007- Diagnosed pancreatic cancer Had surgery followed by radiation and chemo. 5 yr survival rate less than 10%
20011- Four yrs cancer free. Life is fragile

antmary,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

My father had a very similar experience after he was gravely injured during WWII. He always told us that it was so 'glorious' over there that he was totally at peace with dying. He lived many more years and died at age 89. When he passed, as I knew he was going to this 'glorious' place, I was sad that he was gone but not wracked-up about it.

omni

I am happy for you that your father imparted such comfort. If there is one over-riding message that was given to me it is this: the world - the other side that I visited - is made out of love. And, I experienced this love as an actual substance, the essence of life itself.

SA-2 missile
37 mm
23 mm
50 cal
bird strike at 500 kts and 1,000 ft
when a student pilot shut down both engines 800 ft. above the ground (plane only had two engines!)
arriving at Iwo Jima and not being able to land because of bad weather
Landing with an engine problem on a single engine aircraft
doing aileron rolls in+ a VW buss do to black ice
Oh, and that is my but look big thing.

SA-2 missile
37 mm
23 mm
50 cal
bird strike at 500 kts and 1,000 ft
when a student pilot shut down both engines 800 ft. above the ground (plane only had two engines!)
arriving at Iwo Jima and not being able to land because of bad weather
Landing with an engine problem on a single engine aircraft
doing aileron rolls in+ a VW buss do to black ice
Oh, and that is my but look big thing.
I've had related experiences but it's that last one where I think I came the closest to buying it...

Perhaps the one time I went swimming in the Gulf of Mexico (or was it the Pacific?) and a large wave fell on top of me, forcing me down to the bottom of the beach floor at the time and then pulling me back out to sea, scraping me along the way - I remember things really slowed down and I wondered if I would ever pop up....weird - you really do see your life pass by you - all of your sensory inputs go on full open, possibly causing that slowing down feeling....
I thought I was adventurous, but compared to some of you all.....
And you volunteered to let me put you on a longboard?!?

I'm glad you didn't share that story before we paddled out!

He had started talking about his older brother's '55 Crown Vic that would put the T-Bird to sleep (yea, two young teens throwing trash talk at each other).
I made it across the tracks with about two seconds to spare, when the train whizzed by in my rear-view mirror.
So... did you try it again with the '55 Crown Vic, or did he decide to concede your point?

This is so beautiful antmary. I have to believe it is true. Did not have your experience but definitely had some things happen the last 2 days of my moms life that make me believe "there is another side". I too was struck with how profound it was.

1975 Iowa: car that was racing swerved into lane head on; did what my passenger described as amazing driving and avoided all vehicles.

1985 Ohio: cat bit me & I noticed red line moving up vein. Had read about such & decided to go to emergency room.

Had a pickup truck come over the top of a hill in my lane on a two lane highway. Happily I'd driven this road a hundred times and knew I could take the shallow roadside ditch at 65 mph without hitting anything.

Everything else - tearing the end of my nose off at age 8, getting hit in the face with a piece of rebar, telling my future wifes dad she was pregnant - only hurt.

And the only motorcycles were lazily around the pasture, else my dad would have killed me.

Back
Top Bottom