selling a motorcycle - test drive?

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My wife had a spill this past spring on her Yamaha WR250R. She is mostly ok, except she can't lift her arm easily above her head, even after months (I told her to go back to the doctor about this but she keeps putting it off). Anyway, her bike was totaled and I have decided to sell mine and just keep to toys that either have more wheels, skis or that float. :)

So...having never sold a motorcycle, do you allow people to test drive it?

Do you make sure they have a motorcycle endorsement? What happens if they just ride off and don't come back?

I still have full coverage on it, and it would probably net me just as much if they did ride off on it but I am not encouraging that behavior, just that it isn't a huge concern from that aspect I guess.

Thoughts?

Never considered the exposure of a test drive with a motorcycle. I suppose the simple solution is to just sell it to a dealership. You take a haircut on the price but it's easy.

Is it possible to arrange a test ride at a track or other controlled (enclosed) area? You could always arrange to meet in the parking lot of the local police station. That might spook any potential crook.

Seems like a lot like selling a car, someone test drives it and never comes back, or you ride with them and are murdered and they drive off. :eek:

You could insist they show their driving license to you, or you drive it to show them it works if they don't have a license.

Seems like Nov is a bad time to sell a bike, Spring probably means a pop in prices.

I've sold a couple of motorcycles without problems.
First, I take a photo of their driver's license, showing a motorcycle endorsement.
Then I hold their license while they take a quick test ride only on my street, within my sight. That should be plenty to show that the bike is functional.
After that, it's just a matter of getting the price agreed and collecting payment. Same as selling a car.

I've sold a couple of motorcycles without problems.
First, I take a photo of their driver's license, showing a motorcycle endorsement.
Then I hold their license while they take a quick test ride only on my street, within my sight. That should be plenty to show that the bike is functional.
After that, it's just a matter of getting the price agreed and collecting payment. Same as selling a car.
If it were me, I'm not letting anyone hold my license while I'm taking a test ride/drive. Sure it's ok to make a copy, but I'd think most states require you to have your license with you anytime you drive/ride. Also, riding to the end of the block ain't good enough for me. A few times I've discovered problems with a used vehicle only "at higher speeds".

Around here, "dealerships" make copies of my license and insurance card and the let me take it out on a test drive. (Good enough for me too when I'm selling one) I've sold tons of vehicles and never had anyone try to steal one taking a test drive.

Last edited:
Glad to hear she's mostly OK.
I have sold several vehicles over the years. If its someone I don't know, there welcome to come and kick tires, But if they want to take it for a spin, no problem, bring the cash. when they get back they can pick what they want, cash or title.
Since my wreck, A few folks got word I've thought about selling it, and already gotten 3 offers. DW says to hang on to it.

I let buyers ride them. I wouldn't buy a motorcycle or a car without a test drive, so I don't expect them to. I ask to hold their keys to the vehicle they show up in. You can also get a good sense about the buyer when they show up, sometimes. If something happens, everything is insured anyway.

I don't allow test rides on bikes with expensive bodywork like sports bikes or tourers but I'd allow one for a dual sport like a WR250. Especially one that's already been dropped. I check their license for a motorcycle endorsement and they have to have shown up with a helmet.

I've purchased and sold many motorcycles privately. I always took a test drive when buying and allowed test drives when selling. It's usually fairly easy after talking to someone for several minutes whether they know their way around a bike or not.

I allow test rides if they put 100% of the price in my hand in cash. It must be cash. I tell them you drop it you bought it. Never had a problem. They have mostly been in low 4 figures, not 5 figures.

I allow test rides if they put 100% of the price in my hand in cash. It must be cash. I tell them you drop it you bought it. Never had a problem. They have mostly been in low 4 figures, not 5 figures.

I have only sold one motorcycle and that is what I did. I also had a paper for them to sign saying the motorcycle was to be paid for if the bike was damaged. I also had multiple pictures of the bike from all angles.

Cheers!

I’d sell it to a dealer to avoid the issue. But…
Should you let a buyer test drive your motorcycle? It is advised to let potential buyers test drive a motorcycle you are selling. Most buyers won’t make the purchase unless they have a test run. It’s also advised to have collateral against the buyer during a test drive such as the full asking price in cash and/or their driver’s license in the case they steal the motorcycle or damage it.

https://motorcyclehabit.com/should-you-let-a-buyer-test-drive-your-motorcycle/

My wife's insurance paid about $3000 for her bike which is about what mine is worth I guess (never been dropped, runs great but it is a 2011). So someone just comes over and hands you $3 grand while they take it for a spin?

I would think that anything you do will not please some. I like a couple of the ideas but do what you’re comfortable with. If your rules aren’t good enough for them wait for next buyer. You won’t be able to please everyone. I would suggest an inspection and a short ride is enough for me but may not be for others.

My wife's insurance paid about $3000 for her bike which is about what mine is worth I guess (never been dropped, runs great but it is a 2011). So someone just comes over and hands you $3 grand while they take it for a spin?

I wanna see some ID and you need to pass the smell test. But yes. They have always bought it the few times I have done this. :cool:

I would never buy a used vehicle of any kind without a test drive so no reason to expect anyone else to do so either. Take a picture of their license then let them take a test ride. Not letting them leave the street is not reasonable but put a limit on it like 5-10 minutes or 5-10 miles.

Wow..... I'd worry about that kind of transaction as a buyer. Around here, the hapless buyer would come back and point out some issues with the bike and the owner, who has now stuffed the cash in his home safe, tells him to go pound sand cuz he just bought a bike. Do you at least give the pigeon a receipt detailing under what circumstances he gets his money back?

Or, the buyer would come back and, because of issues discovered during the test ride, offers a lower price. But, gosh, you're already holding (and likely locked up) the full price.

Do you show them a clear title before they pay in full in cash?

If the buyer returns promptly and decides not to buy because the bike "just doesn't feel right," do you happily refund his money or insist he's buying it cuz he hasn't pointed out anything materially wrong with the bike?

How do you find buyers willing to give you so much control over the transaction?

Last edited:
^^

I think I showed the title. They usually had a friend that hung out with me and the cash while the buyer tested. I guess I passed their smell test cuz they handed me cash. I promise to give it back if they do not like the vehicle. I count it while you test. Last time, the guy rode it away and his friend drove the car and took the extra bits. There are always extra bits. :LOL:

I’ve bought and sold lots of motorcycles, I never permit a test ride. If someone is buying a used bike, chances are they know what they’re doing, otherwise they can go to a dealer. No way am I allowing a stranger on my bike to blast away and now you’re out of a bike. It’s happened many times before to folks.

I've sold three bikes all on e-bay with no issues. The prospective buyers came to my house, I kept their car keys and let them ride the bike. Always made sure they had MC endorsements on the license and it was always a cash deal. Also always did due diligence on the person prior to the sale via FB, Google or LinkedIn.

I wouldn't buy a bike from many of the sellers above based on extreme tactics.

When someone comes to buy a vehicle, they're going to leave the vehicle they arrived in, supposedly. That's enough. Well, I'd probably take a picture of their driver's license, but that only makes sense... it's proof they can legally operate a vehicle on public roads. I've sold all my cars privately and I told the buyer about a good route where they could get it up to 90 mph. I let them take it to their mechanic, so gone for hours. If the car they came in was gone, I'd have to start worrying, but that's never happened.

I wouldn't buy a bike from many of the sellers above based on extreme tactics.

When someone comes to buy a vehicle, they're going to leave the vehicle they arrived in, supposedly. That's enough. Well, I'd probably take a picture of their driver's license, but that only makes sense... it's proof they can legally operate a vehicle on public roads. I've sold all my cars privately and I told the buyer about a good route where they could get it up to 90 mph. I let them take it to their mechanic, so gone for hours. If the car they came in was gone, I'd have to start worrying, but that's never happened.
All the things I'd normally expect to happen as a buyer or seller.

Back
Top Bottom