What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

I ordered four whitewall tires from Amazon earlier in the month, ...

It's kinda sad that it's getting so hard to find a whitewall tire anymore. ...

Did you try tirerack.com? They are great.

I'm considering joining Amazon Prime. If I may, can I ask if you folks think it is worth it, or direct me to the thread if this has already been discussed? Thank you.

Some people here really like Prime. I personally can't see spending that $$ for shipping benefits alone (some people place value on the streaming video, so that changes things for them). Two reasons:

1) With very little planning, 99% of the stuff I order is not 'rush', so I'm fine with standard shipping.

2) A lot of stuff is NOT 'Prime Eligible'. I just went to order some knick-knack party favors that DW wanted, and the shipping was way out there, maybe too late for this party. So I considered the Prime trial, but... the item was not 'Prime Eligible'!

So what's the point in paying $$/year when you can't count on being able to use it when you actually need it?

-ERD50

I've ordered tires from Tirerack.com and discount tire in the past. Unfortunately, I couldn't find whitewalls at either one. They might have them for other sizes, but I needed a 225/70/R15.

I have a friend with an '89 Cadillac Brougham. It has about 157,000 miles on it, but looks almost showroom new. Unfortunately, the tires on the car were getting really old...close to 20 years, I think. But he didn't get new tires, because it was some specialty style that wasn't offered anymore...I think it had a white stripe and a thin gold stripe as well? Alas, he learned his lesson a few months back, when he had a blowout at fairly high speed. When the tire blew, it also damaged the fender of the car, and also ripped apart the plastic wheel well, and did some other damage in the engine bay. Fortunately, he didn't crash. And also fortunately, the insurance company didn't total out the car. Cars of this era, even if they're really nice, usually aren't worth a whole lot of money, so it's not hard to total them.

As for my '79 5th Ave, its current tires are a bit of a mix and match. The front tires are close to 13 years old. The back tires are 15! So, it's overdue... :eek:

A new electric hot-water kettle to replace the dangerous one my parents are using, a couple of typewriter ribbons, and some paper clips to get me above the $35.00 amount for free shipping.

I'm considering joining Amazon Prime. If I may, can I ask if you folks think it is worth it, or direct me to the thread if this has already been discussed? Thank you.

Click the "show Prime eligible" button on the left side of your search screen to see what is offered and compare it to the cost of non-Prime. Sometimes, but rarely, it's just slightly cheaper when including shipping to go non-Prime - for instance the Corelle we bought had free shipping and was about 10% less.

I'm a bit on the fence about Prime. I view it as an entertainment source like Netflix that offers faster shipping as a bonus. In that light, pretty good.

Prime is now offering free music BTW - my gal is playing with that and thinking Amazon may just eat Apple's lunch.

Wooden pants hangers for my father in law who is staying with us this summer.

Thank you for reminding me! I have needed more skirt/pants hangers for quite some time. I don't think I have ever bought any before, and have only had the few complementary plastic ones that stores sometimes throw in when you buy the skirt of pants to begin with. They are not very sturdy.

So, I just went to Amazon and bought two sets of these:

I was able to use my rewards points from my new Amazon Visa card, and so with Amazon Prime the hangers only cost me $3.55 . :D

As for Amazon Prime, I love it. I don't use the free streaming video or music. I suppose as ERD50 points out, I don't HAVE to get my purchases within two days, but I get a tremendously big kick out of this little luxury. And what's money for? To have fun with, that's what. I suppose one could assign Amazon Prime to the entertainment budget in my case. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

As for Amazon Prime, I love it. I don't use the free streaming video or music. I suppose as ERD50 points out, I don't HAVE to get my purchases within two days, but I get a tremendously big kick out of this little luxury. And what's money for? To have fun with, that's what. I suppose one could assign Amazon Prime to the entertainment budget in my case. :ROFLMAO:

I know you're just having fun with that, but in the same way, my 'entertainment' is when this stuff sometimes comes in just 2-3 days even though I didn't pay for Prime! :)

I guess I could look it up, but then I'd also need to filter out the non-Prime eligible purchases, so I probably won't go through that effort, but I'd guess that most of our Amazon purchases arrive within the 3-4 day range, very rarely do they take more than 5 days. Compared to that, 2 days (if it is Prime Eligible) just doesn't excite me that much, but to each their own.

And I'm afraid any joy would be more than offset by angst when the thing I do need fast isn't Prime Eligible - I'd be mad, thinking "What the heck am I paying for!?".

I was able to use my rewards points from my new Amazon Visa card, and so with Amazon Prime the hangers only cost me $3.55 . :D

DW has trouble with this concept (if said without the tongue-in-cheek- emoticon). Occasionally, I find something cheaper somewhere else, and she says 'but we have these Amazon 'rewards' - so it's cheaper at Amazon'.

But since we use Amazon regularly, we should use those rewards for the best deals, or we aren't getting the full value of them. I think she gets it when explained, but I'm not sure.

-ERD50

DW has trouble with this concept (if said without the tongue-in-cheek- emoticon). Occasionally, I find something cheaper somewhere else, and she says 'but we have these Amazon 'rewards' - so it's cheaper at Amazon'.

But since we use Amazon regularly, we should use those rewards for the best deals, or we aren't getting the full value of them. I think she gets it when explained, but I'm not sure.

ERD50, your interactions with your DW are mind boggling.

But back to the topic of the thread, I am looking forward to getting my new hangers on Friday. :dance:

I ordered four whitewall tires from Amazon earlier in the month, to put on my '79 New Yorker 5th Ave. Unfortunately, the seller sent blackwalls. I returned them, and they said they had no whitewalls in stock, so I ended up getting a set off eBay.

It's kinda sad that it's getting so hard to find a whitewall tire anymore. And I'm not talking those extra wide 50's car whitewalls...just a generic, thin white strip. But, nobody puts them on modern cars anymore, so I imagine the market is pretty small these days.

You might want to check these guys out for ww tires:

Coker Tire - Buy Vintage Tires and Wheels

I've got an "Ooma Telo" VOIP telephone device in my Cart, but can't seem to pull the trigger just yet. Looking to replace the phone service from my cable provider. Lots of good ratings and reviews for the Ooma Anyone have any experience with this, or please direct me to the thread if this has already been discussed. Thank you.

I've got an "Ooma Telo" VOIP telephone device in my Cart, but can't seem to pull the trigger just yet. Looking to replace the phone service from my cable provider. Lots of good ratings and reviews for the Ooma Anyone have any experience with this, or please direct me to the thread if this has already been discussed. Thank you.

Hi coalduck, the search function at the top of the page works pretty good, so here is a recent thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/ooma-and-ooma-handsets-69987.html

ERD50, your interactions with your DW are mind boggling. ...
How so? She'd be right under some circumstances, like if we were not going to order from Amazon for a while - that would be 'dead money' for that time. It's the kind of financial decision that the Freakonomics guys talk about all the time.

-ERD50

A new electric hot-water kettle to replace the dangerous one my parents are using, [...]

I forgot to mention that I absolutely LOVE my new hot water boiler that I got from Amazon not so long ago. It is just terrific, for making tea, instant soup or cereal, and for many other uses.

The only thing I ever purchased online was a couple pair of hiking shoes from lands end about 15 years ago. Just threw them out about 2 years ago. But online dating is a whole other story!

I forgot to mention that I absolutely LOVE my new hot water boiler that I got from Amazon not so long ago. It is just terrific, for making tea, instant soup or cereal, and for many other uses.

I have the same one and I love it too.

short version: outstanding.

happy Ooma user of 5(?) years.

The last thing was Frinsa brand Spanish canned tuna in olive oil. I ordered six cans a few days ago but they have yet to arrive (not eligible for Prime). I love salad nicoise in the summer and thought it might be nice to try if I invite some friends over for a casual bite. I forget where I heard of this brand (NYT maybe?).

Nice wallet, easysurfer! It looks like it will hold a lot without being too bulky.

Can you really carry that in your pants' pocket?

Just bought a new wallet a few minutes ago.

Wow...that wallet looks rather large. Do you carry it in your pocket?

This isn't an amazon item AFAIK but I can vouch for the Big Skinny (aka the World's Thinnest Wallet). They make a ton of different wallet styles, in men's and women's styles and these wallets take up a lot less room (50% lighter and smaller) than the leather models they replace.

World’s Thinnest Wallets! A Thin, Slim, Flat Wallet by Big Skinny

omni

Nice wallet, easysurfer! It looks like it will hold a lot without being too bulky.

I don't have it yet, but one similar.

I like having the zippers so nothing falls out. But I will miss having the dollar bills flat instead of folder.

Wow...that wallet looks rather large. Do you carry it in your pocket?

This isn't an amazon item AFAIK but I can vouch for the Big Skinny (aka the World's Thinnest Wallet). They make a ton of different wallet styles, in men's and women's styles and these wallets take up a lot less room (50% lighter and smaller) than the leather models they replace.

World’s Thinnest Wallets! A Thin, Slim, Flat Wallet by Big Skinny

omni

I measured the wallet I use currently at that is about a 1/2 inch shorter than what I ordered. 4 inches vs 4.5 inches.

The width are both 3 inches. The thickness depends on how much money I'm carrying at the time :D

That big skinny wallet looks pretty nice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom