What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

I ordered a bunch of used books on Mexican culture and had them delivered to my UPS address in Texas (where they are shipped to Mexico every day). I can buy other stuff that way but Mexico charges duty.

Amazon is barely breaking even. It currently shows a net profit margin of 0.38%, and sports a P/E of almost 500. Investors like its sales growth of 22%/yr. Maybe it will make it up on volume eventually. :)

Compared with the above, Kroger, a grocery chain, has a net profit margin of 1.54% and a P/E of 16, and a minuscule sales growth. Grocery stores have the lowest profit margin of all businesses.
Apparently not lower than Amazon.

Ha

My last order was a bunch of pantry staples and beef jerky on their Subscribe & Save plan.

I recall when getting my Masters degree many years ago a course in justification of large government projects called Cost/Benefit Analysis where you fiddle with the numbers to show a small profit (or payback) to justify large project costs. This sounds like Amazon, only it's not a government project.

One thing Amazon has done is create jobs, probably lots of low paying ones, to fill the service centers it is covering the landscape with.

All is good, as Sunday delivery of a $5 hydraulic fitting (free shipping too!) for my air 1976 Sears air compressor was appreciated.

Big order from Amazon today:

cleaning products (paper towels, carpet cleaner, sponges, etc...)
socks
camera bag
shower curtain liner
cat food and litter deodorizer
hiking/emergency equipment (headlamp, hydration powder, waste bags, etc...)

Quite a broad range of items!:LOL:

I think we have a pretty solid emergency kit now.

Oh yeah, I forgot about this thread.

Sunday I ordered a Logan Simplex Classic mat cutter for matting photographs, several different kinds of hinging tape for mounting photos, a point driver tool (forgot to order points:facepalm: but fortunately it came with a sample pack) Scotch adhesive applicator for double-sided tape, blades for the mat cutter, a box of assorted colors of 25 32x40 inch mat board and a package of 10 white 32x40 inch mat board.

That ought to keep me busy mounting/matting photos for a while.

I just bought a replacement windshield washer pump for the car, and two replacement remotes for the garage door opener.

TruFuel 50:1 Pre-Blended 2-Cycle Fuel for Outdoor Power Equipment - 192 oz., (Case of 6).

I normally don't buy premixed fuel, but a new Husqvarna string trimmer is in the garage and I can only buy ethanol blended gasoline around here.

Amazon, the new home shopping network.

I just bought myself a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 in. with Bluetooth keyboard.

Also, some new foam pads for my Sony cheap but comfortable headset. (with finger crossed)

Ordered a Remington electric shaver last week, got it yesterday. It's the exact same model as the one I already have. With the use of my Amazon reward points, the total was $28 including shipping. I like the shaver, and decided rather than spend money on new blades, foils, & battery, I might as well just buy the whole thing.

The new one is nice & quiet, too.

After buying a bunch of plain white Corelle at a yardsale we ordered a dozen luncheon plates to top off the set. Also bought a replacement battery for my Dewalt, a bunch of electric stove elements (about 1/2 HD or Lowes price), an R>G tshirt, and best of all, a new Nokia windows phone for the princely sum of $55.

Ordered a Remington electric shaver last week, got it yesterday. It's the exact same model as the one I already have. With the use of my Amazon reward points, the total was $28 including shipping. I like the shaver, and decided rather than spend money on new blades, foils, & battery, I might as well just buy the whole thing.

The new one is nice & quiet, too.

Last time I bought the blade set and foil for my old Remington, I think I paid about $25. My Remington is so old I can't remember when we bought it. Unfortunately, I don't have any Amazon reward points. :( Maybe I'll just keep it and see if it quits before I do.:LOL:

One more order for today: comfortable walking shoes for DW.

A dozen used hardback books written by my new favorite author, Taylor's of Harrogate Yorkshire tea, and catnip spray all with free shipping.

Cheers

Wooden pants hangers for my father in law who is staying with us this summer.

A new electric hot-water kettle to replace the dangerous one my parents are using, a couple of typewriter ribbons, and some paper clips to get me above the $35.00 amount for free shipping.

I'm considering joining Amazon Prime. If I may, can I ask if you folks think it is worth it, or direct me to the thread if this has already been discussed? Thank you.

I ordered four whitewall tires from Amazon earlier in the month, to put on my '79 New Yorker 5th Ave. Unfortunately, the seller sent blackwalls. I returned them, and they said they had no whitewalls in stock, so I ended up getting a set off eBay.

It's kinda sad that it's getting so hard to find a whitewall tire anymore. And I'm not talking those extra wide 50's car whitewalls...just a generic, thin white strip. But, nobody puts them on modern cars anymore, so I imagine the market is pretty small these days.

...so I ended up getting a set off eBay.

It's kinda sad that it's getting so hard to find a whitewall tire anymore. And I'm not talking those extra wide 50's car whitewalls...just a generic, thin white strip. But, nobody puts them on modern cars anymore, so I imagine the market is pretty small these days.
Just curious, were you able to find tires with a reasonably current date code?

Just curious, were you able to find tires with a reasonably current date code?

Oops, didn't even think to look at that! I guess I'd better, make sure they're not *too* old. Heck, I was so thrilled to even find a whitewall tire, I didn't even think that it could be something that's been sitting around for awhile.

Bought a new blade and foil for my old Remington shaver, and new filter for my dehumidifier, a DVD movie, and an extra battery for my DSLR.

Oops, didn't even think to look at that! I guess I'd better, make sure they're not *too* old. Heck, I was so thrilled to even find a whitewall tire, I didn't even think that it could be something that's been sitting around for awhile.
+1

I am very sensitive to date codes as I've experienced failures of "perfectly good" tires due to age. Six years is the limit of my comfort level.

Not long ago I was getting new battery installed and wandered around the shop's rack of "new" tires while I waited. I noticed some of the date codes weren't very recent. I started looking and found some that were more than five years old. :nonono:

Back
Top Bottom