What is your most precious possesion?

Idnar7

Recycles dryer sheets
Not talking people or places but objects. For me it is the watch my grandfather wore. Not expensive. Don't look at it often. Just reassuring to know it is there. And it's connection to fond memories. If I still had it, it might be my old MG Midget.

Probably our old family photos. Everything else we could replace but not those. One of my projects is digitizing them for safekeeping (backed in both inside and outside of the house).

After the health of my family and I, nothing - it's all either replaceable or will remain memorable.

My grandfather's old, very inexpensive dominoes. He played with them every day in the last years of his life.

If you are including pets, then it would be my three pets. (I don't consider them to be "possessions" but they are what I would grab in case of emergency or fire, etc).

If you are not including pets, then it would be family photos.

[-]I find the fewer possessions I have, the better. I really can't think of a possession that I value above any other. I might agree about photos, but all mine are digitized now so I won't lose them. I value experiences, especially those yet to come...[/-]

After people and the home it'd be my dog, and the dog may be before the house.

My photos are all digital too, so I haven't got to worry about those. I'd probably say my first edition copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I love the book, it came out just as I started reading and was a huge part of my life. I could buy another copy, but my frugality wouldn't let me, probably. Plus it's this copy I like. One of the earlier gifts my boyfriend got for me.

Things (even "keep sakes") seem to be less and less important to me as I get older. I think it's the realization of mortality. None of the "stuff" i have hung onto has any meaning to the next generation, so it will probably be pitched upon my death. So, if I pitch it now or if it is destroyed, stolen, etc. I think I will deal with it just fine. I do have many items which remind me of family, but I also have my memories. So, "stuff" just doesn't hold the meaning it used to. I guess you could rightly say that I'm "letting go" of things - mentally if not physically. Looking back over the 6 years since our big move, we have gotten rid of (literally) tons of stuff I once thought we would keep for life. Trying to think if there is a "most precious" possession - I guess I am stumped. YMMV

This is the what would you grab if the house was on fire question. Since my 7 & 1/2 novels are all saved on four different hard drives in different places, I would grab the old rabbit eared double barrel shotgun that had belonged to my great grandfather. If I had another hand I would get the two text books from the 1880's that had belonged to my great great uncle who was a school teacher here in Florida.

The whole upstairs of my house is a library and it has been overflowing for years. I am in the process of culling books right now. But all but my small [75-100 book] collection of 1700 and 1800's books could easily be replaced. Or not, as I rarely read anything printed after 1750 since I have been writing.

My most precious possession (not including pets) is probably my computer backup drive. First thing I'd grab if the house was on fire.

*I'm stumped*....If my house was on fire, I would grab my homeowner's insurance policy and let the rest burn. I may also try to get a car in the garage before the fire gets too hot.

I was in a fire, with DW and the kids (the Intercontinental Hotel in Caracas). After they got out safely I went back for my briefcase. The fire looked contained to a small section, we were moving and it had all our papers and critical documents.

Far and away the dumbest thing I have ever done in my life. Almost didn't make it back out. There are no possessions or things that I would ever look for or even think about in case of a fire. Find DW, the kids, and get the "ef" out, period.

My iPad, my cell phone, my sons PS3, our flat screen TV, my recliner, and my guns.

Just joshing. If there was a fire then outside of my family then nothin. Well, except maybe that recliner. :)

Thread premise: What is your most precious possession
Not talking people or places but objects. For me it is the watch my grandfather wore. Not expensive. Don't look at it often. Just reassuring to know it is there. And it's connection to fond memories. If I still had it, it might be my old MG Midget.

Precious may be situational and while I have a short list of stuff I'd hate to lose I have also been in a fire and at that moment a pair of shoes, something, anything to wear and a flashlight were at the very top of my list.

All things being equal however, perhaps my moms recipe box.. not for the actual recipes but for the memories that handling the dog-eared and stained index cards elicit. Seeing her tidy handwriting and knowing the care that she put into preparing those dishes still makes me smile and prods me to remember that family dinners are just as important now as they were when she was cooking. No calls, no TV, bring your manners to the table and be prepared to participate in the discussion.... :flowers:

Can narrow it down to three:

My wedding ring;
Family Photos;
A tape recording of a conversation with my grandmother, the summer before she died (in 1985).

Can narrow it down to three:

My wedding ring;
Family Photos;
A tape recording of a conversation with my grandmother, the summer before she died (in 1985).

Hopefully you have made a digital copy (and backups) of that tape. Tape ages and can be hard to recover.

-ERD50

A set of journals I've kept since I was 18. They've got all the great moments, all the mishaps, all the life lessons I keep forgetting ... everything of note, really.

A set of journals I've kept since I was 18. They've got all the great moments, all the mishaps, all the life lessons I keep forgetting ... everything of note, really.

As I was reading this thread I couldn't think of anything.

But this is probably what I would put, too.

My Rolex Submariner. Wife gave it to me for our 25th wedding anniversary in 1997.

Easy for me. My Iphone. Never leaves my side. I know, a little sick. But the little thing is an never-ending source of entertainment and info. Like right now, I'm in bed typing this, DW next to me is sleeping! Ha!

Well, if I have to tell the truth, I have a very sexy blow up doll. You may call her Ms Suzy.

Back
Top Bottom