what is your opinion of mad money?

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I live in the midwest and some of the people I know watch the mad money show on cnbc. I was wondering what your opinion was of the show and his financial advice?

No comment on the financial advice 'cause I can't stand to watch. Cramer's voice affects me like Dick Vitale's. At least with basketball games I can just turn down the sound.

You can see the results of his previous advice here...

TrackJimCramer's Stock Picks

According to the above about 45% of his picks are correct.

He's picked so many thousands of stocks in the past, he's probably done something on most of the listed stocks out there. He would be getting 50% if he just made a random up/down pick on all of them.

According to the above about 45% of his picks are correct.
Sounds horrible. But in reality, traders don't need to be right half the time to make money. It's not something I really recommend (much less do), but if one has a strategy to let their winners run, using trailing stops to protect much of the gains, and put stop losses on the losers to prevent them from going really toxic, you can make money even you're only right, say, 40% of the time. The key is that your winners have to gain more than your losers lose.

Having said that, Cramer really needs to put down the Red Bull and walk away from it.

Fun show. Dangerous advice. Tie yourself to the mast before indulging.

I live in the midwest and some of the people I know watch the mad money show on cnbc. I was wondering what your opinion was of the show and his financial advice?

The show is great entertainment. I watch it sometimes. Cramer is an appealing and engaging personality.

However, I would never, ever suggest following his financial advice. So, if you find yourself thinking of actually acting on what he says, I'd suggest changing the channel and never watching him again.

He's screaming all the way to the bank. I wonder if he'd have a show if he had the same content without the schtick, because it's really the content that would be important.

I thought he was a nutjob before I really watched his show. Then decided to give it a try. One thing he does is invite a lot of CEO's onto his show and I think this part really helps. He also gives recommendations on some IPO's which is hard to get. He also admits when he makes mistakes, which a lot of critics claim he doesn't do. I've followed a few of his tips and he's been a bit backer of Apple stock and he's been doing well on that one. He also has good dividend generating stocks that he recommends. If you try out his newsletter (you have to pay for it, 30 day free trial), you'll notice his show isn't tied too heavily to it, since you're not paying a premium for the TV show. I still download the show to watch it, but like he always recommends, you still need to do your own homework. I'm sue there's plenty of people that just buy on his word w/o doing any homework at all.

However, Cramer does have a pretty impressive track record when you read his background--despite the recent "disappointments" from him.
But, like everyone else almost, his screaming and antics actually wear me down just listening to him. I have too good of hearing, and he actually stresses me out.
My son, however, who has hearing deficits loves him. Maybe it's just a matter of how good your hearing is = your ability to listen to his song and dance?:whistle:

Entertaining to watch from time to time. I probably tune in, oh, maybe 1.5 hours per week in the winter. Much less during the midwest "outdoor seasons."

I can't watch Jim Cramer. He's a buffoon. The only show on CNBC worth watching is Squawk Box, starting at 6:00 a.m. They've usually got some really interesting guests, and I enjoy the trio of Becky, Carl and Joe.

One piece of value that can be gotten from "Mad Money" is a hint as to what many small investors may do in the near-term. A mention of a stock by Cramer generally causes some short-term activity in it. But I've learned not to invest in what he recommends unless I follow its movement for a long time (where long is measured in many months). It seems to me that investing in individual stocks is mostly a matter of patience, not frantic trading.

A mention of a stock by Cramer generally causes some short-term activity in it. But I've learned not to invest in what he recommends unless I follow its movement for a long time.

I don't invest in anything recommended by anybody, not just Cramer, without following and researching the investment myself.

It is purely entertainment---NOT investment advice to be taken by someone who is serious about managing their money.

Fun Show. Never knowingly bought any of his recommendations. I like his advice on taking small positions (averaging in) and out of stocks and on taking profits. I like to listen to his ideas and see whether or not they hold water in my view. I think he does a great job of entertainment, every once in a while he hits a home run. I especially liked his CEO wall of shame bit he did last year.

I don't watch it. It is a little too theatrical for me. But I typically do not watch financial TV much outside of the NBR wrapup.

I invest in mutual funds...

I can take Cramer only in small doses. His voice can grate and his theatrics are either humorous or annoying ...depending.
The last year or two it seems after he or the people on Fast Money tout a stock...or have a CEO on touting his/her own stock....the stock goes down. I've actually considered it a contrarian signal.
That said...I don't invest just because anyone like that says so. After all...they are trying to report and make "news". By the time we hear about it....the real moves have often already occurred.

With Cramer, A Little....

goes a long way IMO. I've only seen his show a dozen times or so. Somebody gave me one of his books and I read it. Confirmed my thoughts that Cramer makes money doing his show, selling his books and making appearances rather than making money on the stock market. If he was/is one of the best hedge fund managers why did he stop?

So I was surprised last year during the week of Thanksgiving to see Cramer list 10 stocks that are good long-term, dividend paying, potential growth companies. That's right up my alley. Nearly all the stocks he mentioned are in my portfolio and I like them for their income and growth - PG, JNJ, CAT, MO and several others. Unfortunately I cannot find the list I jotted down. I'd like to pass it along to others.

I watch him and don't understand half of what he says, because he is playing with his noisemakers and jumping around topics so quickly. irritating is what I think. I wish there was someone on tv that could analyze stocks and make it clear why he either approves or disapproves of those stocks.

Wall Street Week with Louis Rukeyser

I wish there was someone on tv that could analyze stocks and make it clear why he either approves or disapproves of those stocks.

Your comment made me think of the Friday evening program that aired on PBS for years - Wall Street Week with Louis Rukeyser. PBS has a few similar shows but nothing compares to WSW IMO.

Louis Rukeyser died several years ago but I noticed a web site that seems to be carrying on his traditiion. I'll have to check it out. If the web site is anything at all like Rukeyser it is the antithesis of Cramer.

Back
Top Bottom