What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the nags all the time to convert to paperless to *save the environment*. I prefer paper statements, and even tolerate the $2 per month fee for it. Doesn't matter how much money you have in the account, they want that $2 fee.

After the three month trial the paper copy would end unless I went online and changed my preference to a paper copy via mail.
When I was with Verizon, for a while they pulled a similar stunt anytime you did anything on their website (e.g., update your credit card). The site would automatically check an opt-in to paperless statements option that you had find and uncheck before completing what you were doing. If not, they deemed that you’d consented to go paperless.

Pet Peeve caused by myself. Decent round of golf except for the double bogie on the last hole.

I get the nags all the time to convert to paperless to *save the environment*. I prefer paper statements, and even tolerate the $2 per month fee for it. Doesn't matter how much money you have in the account, they want that $2 fee.

Also, trees for paper are grown on tree farms. Not using paper to "save the trees" makes as much sense as not eating salad to save the vegetables.

Here in the southeast, it is a common practices for timber conglomerates to lease land to hunters. The lease is usually about the cost of the insurance for the timber company. In turn, they get stakeholders interested in the care / management of the land (and the critters that live on the land).

I hate when the size or weight things are described like, as long as a football field, as tall as a 7 story building, as heavy as a city bus, or some other comparison, as if we do not have units of weight & measure.

Trying to make a small contribution to Roth account on Vanguard. Took several attempts to get the login page (misconfigured server), and watched as contribution sum for 2018 changed before my very eyes without doing a thing. Vanguard site really is questionable. Never did make the contribution.

Gets me why some folks can't answer simple questions?

My pet peeve is after asking simple questions on email, and getting a response that totally ignores the questions :facepalm:.

Absolutely! Or you ask 3 questions and get 1 answered.

Gets me why some folks can't answer simple questions?

My pet peeve is after asking simple questions on email, and getting a response that totally ignores the questions :facepalm:.

I get really peeved by having seasons quoted at me......expected in the fall.......airing in the summer programming period.......next winter, etc. The US is the worst at doing this.

Just a clue folks, fully half the world is on a different seasonal schedule.....give us a month or range of months......your summer ain't mine!

I get really peeved by having seasons quoted at me......expected in the fall.......airing in the summer programming period.......next winter, etc. The US is the worst at doing this.

Just a clue folks, fully half the world is on a different seasonal schedule.....give us a month or range of months......your summer ain't mine!

Considering that 88% of the people live in the Northern Hemisphere it is reasonable to talk like whomever you are talking to is also there unless you know otherwise...

And of course the US is the worst at it.... we are the most important :dance: (just poking a bit of humor)....

Must make it extra hard having to read the calendar upside down....

:hide::LOL:

Trying to make a small contribution to Roth account on Vanguard. Took several attempts to get the login page (misconfigured server), and watched as contribution sum for 2018 changed before my very eyes without doing a thing. Vanguard site really is questionable. Never did make the contribution.
Seems that I was not the only one having problems accessing Vanguard. Kinda shakes your faith in their ability to adapt.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bad-timing-vanguard-glitches-start-030643192.html

High speed internet. I know that's everybody's pet peeve, but why? Why is it so hard to provide good, reliable, fast, and cheap internet to everyone in the country? Especially when this country is as amazing and technically advanced as it is?

Many of us have been on the internet for 30+ years so it's not like they had no lead time to figure out how to accomplish this task effectively. I mean, think about it; when you were working, when did you EVER have 30 years to get something done? (Never!)

As a jumping off point, we ought to have at least 300 Mbps download internet access available for everyone in the New Orleans metro area, with sufficient redundancy to provide absolutely zero outages, for, say, $7.95/month. Or so I would sputter unhappily. I know, in my dreams. :rolleyes: But hey, no law against dreaming... Where would we be without dreams?

Yes, we had ANOTHER internet outage last night. Actually we don't have as many as most people but it just seems so frightfully archaic. I could see having outages during the early days of internet access, but the time came long ago for this to be over with. It needs a large scale solution by a company with vision who is willing to invest in their own future profitability. Seems like the right guy in a leadership role, applying some technical expertise, could effectively address and fix the situation once and for all, not just here but everywhere and soon.

I know, I know, if it's so easy I should do it myself..... well I'm just an old lady and gee, do I have to do *everything* myself? (whine, gripe, moan, groan)

I'm just the opposite; I hate paper statements and I don't get any.

It's so easy to download a pdf and print it if I want to. They take no storage space and I don't have to bother either shredding them or putting them in the recycle bin.

+1 especially as snowbirds... I get my statements the same no matter where I am.

And you aren't used to it by now? You could always just visit southern hemisphere based websites.

It must really bug you when we talk about the drain draining clockwise. :D

I may have griped about these in the past, but in any case ...

Websites that ...

1. aren't dated (especially news stories). Lots of advice is time-critical.
  2. are advertising a product or service but make it very hard to find the cost.
  3. cause the Back button to fail. Do they think they can keep you on that page forever?
  4. with stylish gray text that is hard to read.
  5. are so littered with share buttons and ad popups that they are hard to read
  6. wait until you are in the middle of reading and popup a Subscribe window with cutesy animation.

I may have griped about these in the past, but in any case ...

Websites that ...

1. aren't dated (especially news stories). Lots of advice is time-critical.
  2. are advertising a product or service but make it very hard to find the cost.
  3. cause the Back button to fail. Do they think they can keep you on that page forever?
  4. with stylish gray text that is hard to read.
  5. are so littered with share buttons and ad popups that they are hard to read
  6. wait until you are in the middle of reading and popup a Subscribe window with cutesy animation.

4. ....

it doesn't have to be gray for

any text a darker shade of the same background colour ( my bank is a major offender on this )

mid-green on a light green background , ditto for red on the withdrawal slips

I have a new issue with the two left turn lanes. My '16 Accord has honda's Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS). When I'm in the right of the 2 left turn lanes and there is an auto opposite me also turning, the CMBS kicks off. "BRAKE" is flashed in large yellow letters across the display, an audio alert is triggered, and more than once, the car stops accelerating.

That sounds like more than a pet peeve, that sounds dangerous!

My 2017 Buick Encore has quite a few 'awareness' alerts, but it doesn't take any action, they are just warnings.

On one hand, I was looking for active braking, but OTOH, I think maybe it's best to let these technologies mature before we go that route.

-ERD50

Re: light text on a dark background.

Also spare a thought for those of us who are colorblind. Do you know how many people create graphs and use three different shades of blue to indicate the lines ??!!! Or pie charts with six shades of red.

My bank sometimes wants me to input information in textboxes. They put in a light green blinking cursor. Half the time I couldn't for the life of me tell you what box that d*amn thing is in. I just type away until something shows up and then Tab across to where I really wanted to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom