What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Only reason we went to ATT is that is the only carrier where our cabin is.
And don't even get me started on the foreign reps ATT uses, can't understand them trying to speak English.

We had ATT in our area for a number of years and they kept telling me they were going to fiber but never did. IF they do have fiber now it only goes to the main distribution and they pull copper wire to the house which could be a few miles away. Their signal was also always less than 1/3 of what we were paying for. Other options were no better until IQ Fiber laid down the fiber cables and would pull fiber directly to our house.
And you are right that there is a problem getting someone to talk to if you have a problem and although they have been pleasant they are also often difficult to understand.

DW bought some double stuff Oreos. Yeah, right. These are the same thickness as the regular Oreos. Must be some fine print on the bag I'm too tired to read.

Last edited:
OK... so I see that Buffalo Wild Wings has a BOGO on Thursday... so i decided to try them out... I look at the menu and a 'meal' (wings and fries) cost $9 for 6... but regular wings cost $9 for 6...

So I say "I would like to get two meals"... well, NO... the BOGO is ONLY for the regular wings... so really you are trading your fries for additional wings!!! Not really BOGO... BTW, that is for boneless... on Tuesday it is BO half off the 2nd...

Why do they have to make getting groceries more challenging all the time?
  • We have to bring our own bags, or pay extra for them.
  • Then we need to cut and bring paper coupons if we want the "good price".
  • We're forced to have a membership for grocery stores or we really have to pay up.
  • NOW, I see DIGITAL coupons on some of my favorite items. Cheap me doesn't want to miss any deals so I downloaded their stupid app and figured out how it works. I open it up to click on the digital coupon in the store.
  • And or course, it's never simple, half the time it wants to update to the latest version of the app. Or, the app forgets the password, which of course I don't remember and my dang password manager doesn't have either.
Argh.

I just spent 50 minutes getting my TV/Internet turned on for my summer on the mainland. Little has changed from last year, but you have to go through the process. And then there was the issue of my CC being declined (mentioned in another thread.) 50 minutes of my life I'll never get back but YMMV.

OK, it has been stated before but today was really bad....

People who do not get in the middle turn lane... it is there to move into BEFORE you turn... today somebody slowed down to almost stopped and then turned into the lane but the butt of their car was sticking out in the regular lane... it is bad enough that they slow to 5 mph before getting into the turn lane but not even getting into it is worse....

We feel you. We were following a pickup pulling a trailer today. They pulled into the middle turn lane (left) without using any turn signals. We continued straight ahead. They then turned right, crossing our lane, again with no turn signal. There was no sign on their truck that said "wide right turns". We slammed on the brakes and avoided an accident.

Yeah you'd think some of the small car drivers were driving 18 wheelers the way they swing into the other lane to turn. Geez! I've had my monkey scared a few times having them swing into my lane to turn.

Traffic circles are being added in my area to many intersections that formerly were not busy but now carry a lot of traffic. The moaning and groaning over them is getting ridiculous. What do these people do when they drive in a region that makes abundant use of traffic circles? Never mind. The answer to that question scares me.

Traffic circles are being added in my area to many intersections that formerly were not busy but now carry a lot of traffic. The moaning and groaning over them is getting ridiculous. What do these people do when they drive in a region that makes abundant use of traffic circles? Never mind. The answer to that question scares me.
I think traffic circles work best in places where there is a general culture of cooperation and the understanding of mutual benefit. Like some other traffic rules, traffic circles work well when every driver understands it is a give and take situation, where if we all obey the rules and take the goals of other drivers into account we all get to our destinations in reasonable time. Unfortunately, where I live, it sometimes feels like driving is a competitive sport. Drivers muscle their way into unsafely small lengths between cars, do not use indicator signals to change lanes, and generally appear to be trying to get the upper hand--to "win." I have seen traffic circles work wonderfully in some places in Europe, where drivers wait reasonably patiently until there is a safe amount of space to enter the circle, then use their turn signal to indicate lane changes and ultimately to indicate their exiting from the circle, while allowing drivers entering the circle to do the same. I'm by no means a self-hating America-basher, but I do believe we sometimes carry our American sense of individualism too far, to the point it makes things like traffic circles difficult for us to implement.

Around here, folks think traffic circles, or roundabouts, are speedways!
Enter at your own risk.
I have been to places where they work well, wish it happened everywhere.

You assume they leave town ever. A great number of people in the US never leave their home state except for a few vacations. It's easy to never encounter a circle/roundabout in most of the country. I grew up with them in the UK but have encountered them as an adult only when outside of Florida. But, no, I don't complain, and wouldn't, as they have been shown to be far more efficient and safer than traffic lights.

I think traffic circles work best in places where there is a general culture of cooperation and the understanding of mutual benefit. Like some other traffic rules, traffic circles work well when every driver understands it is a give and take situation, where if we all obey the rules and take the goals of other drivers into account we all get to our destinations in reasonable time. Unfortunately, where I live, it sometimes feels like driving is a competitive sport. Drivers muscle their way into unsafely small lengths between cars, do not use indicator signals to change lanes, and generally appear to be trying to get the upper hand--to "win." I have seen traffic circles work wonderfully in some places in Europe, where drivers wait reasonably patiently until there is a safe amount of space to enter the circle, then use their turn signal to indicate lane changes and ultimately to indicate their exiting from the circle, while allowing drivers entering the circle to do the same. I'm by no means a self-hating America-basher, but I do believe we sometimes carry our American sense of individualism too far, to the point it makes things like traffic circles difficult for us to implement.
I'm still dealing with drivers who do not understand the rules that apply for right of way at a 4-way stop or right-turn-on-red rules. Expecting them to figure out traffic circles may be a bridge too far. Fortunately, we don't really have them in the Islands yet.

BUT we do have read light cameras and we're looking into adding speed cameras. These have been proven so corrupt in other cities (and here, back in the day, so I understand it) that I despair of the results (Currently, people protesting red light "runs" are routinely told to pay the fine and shut up.)

I didn't get caught (no red light camera there yet), but had there been a red light camera I would have been caught yesterday. I was crossing a very wide cross street when a cross-traffic car ran the light (ostensibly - she apparently thought she was turning right-turn-on-red but she had not stopped nor did she wait for me to clear.). She did it so badly (slowly and hesitantly) that it forced me to stop for her and I couldn't change lanes. I ended up in the intersection when the light turned red because of her blunder. I'm sure I could have talked until I was blue in the face and the answer would have been "Pay the fine."

But, hey, we were talking about traffic circles, weren't we?

Never mind. :cool:

Last edited:
When they added the first roundabout in our fair city the newspaper reported that the neighbors living nearby were complaining about the constant honking of horns. I was waiting to enter another one and the car inside the circle was stopping at each exit. The circles are working better nowadays and I like them.

We have a double diverging diamond and I heard folks gripe about “all the wrecks there.” I watch local news regularly and never once saw a report of a crash. If you pay attention the stripes on the pavement and the stoplights it’s no big deal. People don’t like change, and they certainly don’t read road signs or pay attention to road markings.

I was confused driving in Italy a few years ago. I made about six trips round the the traffic circle until my partner figured out which direction we had to take. EZPZ.

I wish we had more traffic circles near us. Especially for simple "T" intersections where you have to stop. There isn't a lot of traffic in our neighborhood but we have waaaay too many stop signs. Those could be removed and replaced with roundabouts saving fuel and time.
On the other hand, not a big fan of roundabouts in really busy intersections. Too many people don't know what they're doing.

I wish we had more traffic circles near us. Especially for simple "T" intersections where you have to stop. There isn't a lot of traffic in our neighborhood but we have waaaay too many stop signs. Those could be removed and replaced with roundabouts saving fuel and time.
On the other hand, not a big fan of roundabouts in really busy intersections. Too many people don't know what they're doing.

My "old" city is replacing 4-way stops in many areas with round-abouts. The cost is astounding, but I agree the effect is very nice - I'm just glad MY taxes are no longer funding them (well, I'm sure the Feds are helping, so forget what I said about MY taxes.):cool:

Back
Top Bottom