What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes!!! That’s the other one that happens all the time. At w@rk,no less, which makes me hate it there even more. Management even taped a notice in big letters on the bathroom mirror to please not take calls in the bathroom. Doesn’t stop people and yup, they’re on speaker too.

Once I was so fed up with listening to this speakerphone call, I said at full voice volume, “can you please take that call outside the bathroom?!?!”

Actually all you need is on of those 'fart' noise generators to take with you in the bathroom, so the callers can hear it.

Yes!!! That’s the other one that happens all the time. At w@rk,no less, which makes me hate it there even more. Management even taped a notice in big letters on the bathroom mirror to please not take calls in the bathroom. Doesn’t stop people and yup, they’re on speaker too.

Once I was so fed up with listening to this speakerphone call, I said at full voice volume, “can you please take that call outside the bathroom?!?!”

If this happens in my presence, I flush the toilet numerous times. Preferably while the person in the room is speaking. :D

I was in the airport men's room when a guy jabbering away dropped his phone in the urinal. He picked it out and continued the call without any apparent hesitation. Ewwwww!

Was at a large box premium grocery store and an employee came out of the bathroom stall, pretty sure I heard a flush (not just clothing change) and went out into store without washing hands. They have a deli, and food serving there too.

Last edited:
If this happens in my presence, I flush the toilet numerous times. Preferably while the person in the room is speaking. :D
I'll make noises that leave no doubt as to what room this is occurring in. Sometimes I wonder if the other person didn't want to call 911, the noises suggested something was dying.

I was in the airport men's room when a guy jabbering away dropped his phone in the urinal. He picked it out and continued the call without any apparent hesitation. Ewwwww!
Well, there is the 10 second rule..........:sick:

Having to download an app for everything. A friend of mine gave me 4 tickets to tonights Phillies game, sent me the link. so of course I can't just follow the link and print out 4 hard copies.
I've got to download the link, register, yada yada yada. and since I don't have a smartphone it's going to take forever.

"grrrr" could have printed out 10,000 tickets easily in all this time.

You're supposed to yell "Hey! Pull up your pants. What are you, some kind of freak? Nobody wants to see that." Let them explain that they're in the bathroom.

random guys telling me to smile...

yep that one never get old (and I actually smile a lot, just not every single second!)

I'm wearing a tall boot on my right foot. People I barely know (as in: we belong to the same synagogue but never socialize) think it's ok to ask me what happened. When I only say "broke it" (obviously otherwise I wouldn't have it on in 100°T) ask how & become miffed when I won't say how and proceed to tell me to get a cane & handicap placard.

I'm wearing a tall boot on my right foot. People I barely know (as in: we belong to the same synagogue but never socialize) think it's ok to ask me what happened. When I only say "broke it" (obviously otherwise I wouldn't have it on in 100°T) ask how & become miffed when I won't say how and proceed to tell me to get a cane & handicap placard.

Fabricate a long, boring, pointless explanation......punctuated with numerous "And then's", until their eyes cloud over and they 'remember' urgent appointments.

They won't bother you again.

Fabricate a long, boring, pointless explanation......punctuated with numerous "And then's", until their eyes cloud over and they 'remember' urgent appointments.

They won't bother you again.

lol I was sooo going to suggest something similar.

maybe a crazy injury on vacation like skiing in the french alps or running from a lion on a safari, and you start it all with, "wow you will not believe what happened to me!"

Alleged movie channels, independent film channel (IFC) & Sundance, that fill in entire days (24 hrs) programming with old television series.
Two & a Half Men, mash, law & order, that 70's show, etc which are all available on other, non-premium channels.

How well do you have to know people before it's ok for them to ask you, "What happened?"

After my shipwreck of a life, I weary of the question “Do you have children/grandchildren?” After I say “No” there’s always this awkward pause while they look at me with either pity or a bit of disdain depending, I guess, on what they surmise would be the reason.

I really appreciate people who have removed this from their stack of “getting to know you small talk questions”.

Last edited:
After my shipwreck of a life, I weary of the question “Do you have children/grandchildren?” After I say “No” there’s always this awkward pause while they look at me with either pity or a bit of disdain depending, I guess, on what they surmise would be the reason.

I really appreciate people who have removed this from their stack of “getting to know you small talk questions”.

I think with adults, particularity ones you don't know well., that has been a bit of common ground conversation starter for a long time. The pause could just be someone looking for a different topic of discussion. Due to changing times and hopefully more awareness of other's feelings I think this isn't quite as common anymore and that's a good thing.

Then how will they know not to bore you with their own stories of grandkids/kids? That's usually how it starts, the other person starts speaking of their family, politeness dictates they not hog the conversation, so pitch you a slow one with 'tell me about yours', and it's on.

Actually, it's stuff like this that makes me prefer to stay home and not socialize. Religion and Politics are already off the table, I hate having to think even a simple conversation starter might trigger someone else's pet peeve for the day. I am a social cad and now most folks assume I'm a grumpy old man when I am around them and don't speak much. I'm just trying to get through what ever event it is without offending anyone. Being as I live in California, it's a lost cause; just about everything offends everyone!

Then how will they know not to bore you with their own stories of grandkids/kids? That's usually how it starts, the other person starts speaking of their family, politeness dictates they not hog the conversation, so pitch you a slow one with 'tell me about yours', and it's on.

Actually, it's stuff like this that makes me prefer to stay home and not socialize. Religion and Politics are already off the table, I hate having to think even a simple conversation starter might trigger someone else's pet peeve for the day. I am a social cad and now most folks assume I'm a grumpy old man when I am around them and don't speak much. I'm just trying to get through what ever event it is without offending anyone. Being as I live in California, it's a lost cause; just about everything offends everyone!

Yep, you are kind of reduced to talking about the weather:D lucky I live in MN, so there is always weather to talk about. Don't know what people that live in Vegas talk about....:(

Yep, you are kind of reduced to talking about the weather:D lucky I live in MN, so there is always weather to talk about. Don't know what people that live in Vegas talk about....:(

The weather. That's my pet peeve right now. Is that allowed? :D

More days with rain than without. Contracted 2 months ago for a new roof. In process of contracting for a driveway extension. Road on my grocery run is closed to eastbound traffic for major construction, resulting in a detour.

Anyone who works outside is falling behind in a major way on their projects. Read an article yesterday about how only 1/3 of local corn crops have been planted, with some farmers deciding to just give up at this point.

IDK, seems to me there are lots of ways to chat with people about interesting things based on some quiet observation of them, what they are talking about and the circumstances under which you’ve come F2F.

I never mind when someone swipes through pics of kids or grandkids and really enjoy celebrating this along with them. If they then ask me about mine after that, it’s fine. Its when it’s the very first thing they ask about me that bugs.

But hey, maybe I should get over myself!

Last edited:
IDK, seems to me there are lots of ways to chat with people about interesting things based on some quiet observation of them, what they are talking about and the circumstances under which you’ve come F2F.

I never mind when someone swipes through pics of kids or grandkids and really enjoy celebrating this along with them. If they then ask me about mine after that, it’s fine. Its when it’s the very first thing they ask about me that bugs.

But hey, maybe I should get over myself!

Agree but that means others would need to observe and put some effort into it, instead of just defaulting to the kids/GK question.

Good grief!!! How awful.

My cell phone number (which I got back in the summer of 2000), was previously the call-in number for requests at a big local rap/hiphop radio station. As you can imagine, the first few years it was awful. I would get dozens of calls each day and some even got belligerent when I told them I was not the radio station. However the number of calls kept diminishing, and after 5 years or so I didn't get any more calls for the radio station.

I thought my cell phone number was as bad as it could get, but your experience sounds far worse. I'm glad I didn't have my number changed, though (due to procrastination). It is unusually easy to remember, which is probably why the radio station had it in the first place.

Why keep that number?

When we got DW her number years ago the first one was from somebody who had everything they did connected to their number... DW got texts all day long for buying this or doing that... very annoying..

After we tried to get them to stop and we could not we requested another number... this one was just fine...

I found that upon passing child-bearing age people stopped asking DW and me about kids. I never minded the occasional query; it was when they continued on to inform me I should have children, or that I would change my mind one day, that was annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom